Falcons D looked good, props

joe horn

Just got back from my gathering (you really have to travel to catch Saints-Lions matchups, it turns out) and they had the Atlanta game on a corner TV. Defense looked impressive, I'm not even going to try and dog Miami's O here. Credit to Smith for putting a fire under that secondary, and the line looked great. Atlanta looks like they're for real. It doesn't hurt me to say this, they honestly looked pretty good.

----

Carolina - wtf? Something is seriously wrong, because they went from the team to beat to a bunch of guys I honest-to-God felt bad for. That game was on the TV behind us, and even though I only looked over occasionaly for updates, literally every time I did something heartbreaking was going on. I don't EVEN feel like talking smack, it was horrible.

----

Tampa - only caught highlights, and of course they were all Dallas offensive clips. Tampa isn't that bad, but I think 12-4 is a bit of a reach.

----

Saints answered a bunch of burning questions in the offseason today, and presented their fans with a whole host of new ones.

Q). Can the #1 offense stay on top?

A). Yes, Breesus is a god among men.

Q). Can the Saints run the ball? I hear (from certain people) they simply can't do this.

A). 35/157, 4.5. I guess this will be swept under the "It's just the Lions lol" rug though.

Q). Did the Defense improve? At all?

A). Yes, actually. The first thing people (people who don't actually watch the games, mind you) will point to is the 27 points accrued by a team that's now lost 17 straight games. Well, I haven't really got time for those types. The defense did their job today, and showed some heart after being put in some really tough situations. 3 turnovers was $$$.

----

Q). If all those things are true, why aren't we flapping our gums about a Super Bowl run?

A). Because, among other things, IT WAS THE LIONS SILLY. We know what time it is, it's time to get ready for the Eagles, who humbled our division champ bretheren in an excruciating fashion. Our Defense looked competant, but there were times that they lacked hustle and missed tackles. Our O-Line is STILL making redonkulous mistakes and drawing flags, I don't care who many starters we end up missing, these guys get paid a comfortable salary and I expect a return on it. We'll have to bring a lot better to Philly.

And, as you'll be hearing a LOT from us this week, our special teams was gag-inducingly bad. My god, this used to be such a point of pride for us, and it nearly cost us the spread. Seriously though, we could have the Steelers D and still lose playing like that, truly disgusting. Bad, BAD coverage, horrible tackling, and Reggie... there's nothing the haters who frequent this board can say about Reggie that I didn't hear in person, only with more bile, from Saints fans. He's nowhere near 100%, the rust from 3 weeks of missed practice is glaringly obvious, and he plain ole' stunk. And he knew it.

Those things have to improve, I don't care who we're playing. Still, a W is a W, and we'll enjoy our 1st place in the NFC South all week just the same.

27 points was not on our D. You evidentally fall into "those types" I mentioned earlier.

And I said your defense sucked because it did, when I said it. They have proved me wrong in a game that counted, and here I am, giving props. It would kill you to be as honest, wouldn't it?

27 points was not on our D. You evidentally fall into "those types" I mentioned earlier.

And I said your defense sucked because it did, when I said it. They have proved me wrong in a game that counted, and here I am, giving props. It would kill you to be as honest, wouldn't it?

you should know better than to expect any kind of class from WFW. Dude is a broken down old man who has nothing in his life other than this message board which is why he trolls it endlessly making what he thinks are witty remarks and good football analysis :lol:

lol @ redonkulous. that commercial cracks me up.

i think that it'll come down to the falcons and saints this year though, with the panthers at or slightly below .500 and the bucs rebuilding (but making strides).

i was amazed at the way our D played. i thought they would play better with last year, but 4 turnovers against a team that was 11-5 and had the least turnovers for any team in league history last year? that's nice. they also only made it into the redzone against us twice and scored their first points with 3:22 left in the game, nearly a shutout.

two of the most encouraging things about our game though are: 1- our D actually carried the team at times today. ryan and the O were a little rusty at times (its expected early in the season, plus ryan had the flu this week) and that our ground game didn't really get anything going, but we threw the ball 36 times and still won (got tired of hearing that ryan couldn't throw the ball 30 or more times and win games).

it's going to be a good year. :D

. they also only made it into the redzone against us twice and scored their first points with 3:22 left in the game, nearly a shutout.

By the same token, we never surrendered a 2 score advantage, and the Lions enjoyed 3 quarters of garbage time.

two of the most encouraging things about our game though are: 1- our D actually carried the team at times today. ryan and the O were a little rusty at times (its expected early in the season, plus ryan had the flu this week) and that our ground game didn't really get anything going, but we threw the ball 36 times and still won (got tired of hearing that ryan couldn't throw the ball 30 or more times and win games).

So I guess we're not going to hear certain people droning on and on about balance this week? Certainly not with the Saints showing they can get the tough yards on any down, I imagine B)

It's going to be a good year. :D

I think it is, but it's certainly going to be a long one. Our Schedules both ramp up pretty quickly here, and I doubt the Panthers are truly as bad as the Eagles just made them look. Still, I got no problem giving the Falcons respect when they earn it.

OP hit the nail on the head.

I completely missed with my assessment of the Panthers and the Falcons D.

I have to disagree with Mr. Horn on his prognostication that the Panthers will be above .500 at the end of the season, though. Delhomme has always had a fragile ego, and being benched during this game will haunt him all season long. Even Yasinkas over at ESPN was calling for Fox to bring Testeverde in (chuckle).

The Falcons secondary looked for real. Beginners luck? Maybe, but Dimitroff is building a reputation for finding the right personnel to fit into Coach Smith's schemes.

The new Saints D looked pretty good against a rookie QB and a pedestrian offense, but their special teams play is something for their fans to not just be concerned about, but to be scared of. But it looks like Brees can carry them like he did their D last season.

It appears to me that the NFC South Champ will come down to the 2 games between the Falcons and the Saints.

i agree Lions will be better.... but not that much better

Detroit has a future. They have what I think is 4 great building pieces and future studs, at QB, RB, WR, and HC. I was impressed with the drive they showed today. The 08 Lions would have folded and quit when the Saints went up 14-0, but not this years team. They fought back. They want to play for Schwartz, they want to win for Schwartz.

And just to think you said our D' sucked? :rolleyes:

27 points? Same old GW in the REDZONE I see??? :o

Oh and thanks for praising our defense we deserved it today! ;)

First of all, those 27 points were more a result of a mistake type of game. Much like our game against the Vikings last season. And your did look good but they won't pressure every QB they play against the same way. But what I saw from watching the game is two teams that are so what equal with the falcons having a slight edge. It was really the turnovers that did the phins in more than anything. But your D caused them.

I remember a certain team pumping their chest last year after a certain win in the first game of the season!!!!

Stafford scored on a 1 yard run. After two penalties on third down when the Saints had them stopped!!

If Atlanta brings that weak offense they put on the field last sunday. Turn the TV off it will be real BAD for them!!!!

I cant believe all the thread about atlanta having the best offense!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like someone is trying to have a bigger rookie season than Mat Ryan

Sanchez- 18/31 282 yards

Oh my how will this board inplode if he does better than the almighty Ryan!!!!

MOST. BALANCED. OFFENSE.

Put THAT in your glass pipe and smoke it!

3 more days ..... and we wont have to look at this anymore

Saints will abadon the run by the second quarter while Falcons run , throw, run play action, run no hudle, and look like a machine ....

and they look like a run and shoot offense , useing no clock and leaving a Mcnabb less Eagle team in the game..... watch

3 more days ..... and we wont have to look at this anymore

Shred... I don't want to do like the other rival fans and refer to you as "thick," "dense," or "dumb." I really don't, because deep down, I know you just really love your team and want to show them support at every opportunity. That's fine. But at least acknowledge that you CLOWNS have regurgitated the SAME NONSENSE all goddamned offseason long (which is exactly what FDB is mocking) and just appreciate the bitter irony that, for at least a week, we are what you swore you were all offseason, while you guys became what you preached against - 30+ passes and no run game. That's all.

Saints will abadon the run by the second quarter while Falcons run , throw, run play action, run no hudle, and look like a machine

15 minutes is all the time Killer Kolb needs to build up such a lead over lowly noodle-armed Drew Brees that we have to abandon our run game? At least we'll have the Falcons to show our pitiful offense how it's done . Hopefully Drew TiVo's your game so he can pick up some pointers.

and they look like a run and shoot offense , useing no clock and leaving a Mcnabb less Eagle team in the game..... watch

Oh now I see you're just bitter.