Who were the starting DL for the Falcons today?

gazoo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamaal and he played pretty well today. Not as well as Beirman but who did? lol. It was also said a day or two ago that the competition for the LDE will go on all year. Look for Beirman to eventual get it if he continues to play like this. He had 2 sacks but had one stolen from him on a holding play late in the 4th. Doesn't matter who starts though, they all played plenty and they all played relatively well. Congrats to all our defensive players for stepping up. Keep it up and I don't care who starts.

just curious, I ecall earlier in camp everyone was saying that whoever started game 1 would be the winners of the competitions, with exception of JA55 of course.

JA98, Jerry, Bab's, JA55 started the first series. They rotated JA98, JA55, Bierman, Davis the most I have ever seen. So far I believe the idea of keeping them fresh so they will have a greater impact and more speed throughout the game is paying off.

Bierman has done more in this one game then Anderson has in 3 years .lol

Take away that holding penalty late in the 4th qtr and Beirman would of had as many sacks today as Jamaal has had in 3 years. Saying that, Jamaal played well today as did Chauncey but no one on that defense with the exception of Peterson played as well as Beirman did today. Jerry played great too. Not sure about stats but he did so much more and created a lot of havoc even against mostly double teams.

Jamaal and he played pretty well today. Not as well as Beirman but who did? lol. It was also said a day or two ago that the competition for the LDE will go on all year. Look for Beirman to eventual get it if he continues to play like this. He had 2 sacks but had one stolen from him on a holding play late in the 4th. Doesn't matter who starts though, they all played plenty and they all played relatively well. Congrats to all our defensive players for stepping up. Keep it up and I don't care who starts.

Jerry was also a half a step from making a sack.

JA98 started today, and two plays later on the very FIRST 3rd down attempt Miami had, JA98 was on the bench and Biermann was in for the pass rush. Pretty much confirms what I've been saying all offseason: JA98 is still valuable as a pretty good run defender DE, but when it's crunch time on 3rd downs, he stinks as a pass rusher. Seems the coaching staff agrees since he was replaced in nearly every significant 3rd down situation today.

Don't get me wrong, I value what JA brings as a guy in running situations that isn't going to get blasted off the LOS. But lets be realistic, it's time for you to give up your impossible dream. He's just not anything significantly greater than Chauncey Davis who was a 4th rounder and solid rotational DE. That's not what you expect and pay for out of the 8th overall draft pick. He'll still play for us this year, he's earned it in the running game. But he's not a pass rusher and never will be.

Next year when he only has 2 years of signing bonus money left he will be released from his exorbant contract. He'll catch on with someone else and do a solid job for them, for far less money. He's not a bust, but he's not what we drafted and not what his current contract says he should be. Next year it will be Abe, Davis, Biermann, and Sidbury at DE. The sooner you deal with this, the better your sanity will be.

A lot of "here is who started "BUT".........

Some here seem defensive and struggle with just saying who the 4 starting Falcon DL are.

In the offseason, many here with the "BUT" problem insisted JA98 was going to get beat out or even cut because he was so bad, yet they were wrong.

. Maybe since they have been proved wrong they are now changing up their arguments.

just curious, I ecall earlier in camp everyone was saying that whoever started game 1 would be the winners of the competitions, with exception of JA55 of course.

Jamaal apparently beat out Davis whom the Falcons mgt had given a new contract. I can't think of any player whose job, though, has publicly been thrown up in the air by Coach Smith, can you? This clearly indicates the coaching staff was not happy with Jamaals play on the field.

While Davis has not stepped up Biermann has continued to progress to the point where he arguably is the second best DE on the team next to Abe. If he continues to play at this level look for the coaching staff to reward him with the starting LDE spot. We all lamented the fact that Kerney and Abe never really got a lot of time to play together but it looks like Biermann may be the second coming of Kerney.

Atlanta Defensive

TACKLES SACKS SOLO PASS DEF QB HITS TFL TD

C. Lofton 11 0 10 0 0 0 0

M. Peterson 7 0 7 1 0 0 0

S. Nicholas 7 0 7 0 0 0 0

K. Biermann 5 2 5 0 1 1 0

B. Williams 4 0 3 0 0 0 0

J. Abraham 3 2 3 0 2 1 0

B. Grimes 3 0 3 0 0 0 0

J. Babineaux 2 0 2 0 0 1 0

T. DeCoud 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

C. Houston 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

E. Coleman 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

E. Weems 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

J. Norwood 2 0 0 0 0 0 0

T. Johnson 1 0 1 0 0 0 0

C. Wire 1 0 1 0 0 0 0

C. Owens 1 0 1 0 0 0 0

C. Davis 1 0 1 0 0 1 0

P. Jerry 1 0 0 0 1 0 0

Team 57 4 52 1 4 4 0

Hmm.

Atlanta Defensive

TACKLES SACKS SOLO PASS DEF QB HITS TFL TD

C. Lofton 11 0 10 0 0 0 0

M. Peterson 7 0 7 1 0 0 0

S. Nicholas 7 0 7 0 0 0 0

K. Biermann 5 2 5 0 1 1 0

B. Williams 4 0 3 0 0 0 0

J. Abraham 3 2 3 0 2 1 0

B. Grimes 3 0 3 0 0 0 0

J. Babineaux 2 0 2 0 0 1 0

T. DeCoud 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

C. Houston 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

E. Coleman 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

E. Weems 2 0 2 0 0 0 0

J. Norwood 2 0 0 0 0 0 0

T. Johnson 1 0 1 0 0 0 0

C. Wire 1 0 1 0 0 0 0

C. Owens 1 0 1 0 0 0 0

C. Davis 1 0 1 0 0 1 0

P. Jerry 1 0 0 0 1 0 0

Team 57 4 52 1 4 4 0

Hmm.

good defense I agree.

go that way with your hating -->

Crow is already being served by JA98 to those here who INSISTED this offseason he would either get beat out or cut and no way would be named the starter in game 1 this season.

They started moving the goalposts after seeing he was playing better in preseason (despite them publicly denying it) and they were quie as church mice the last week because they jusyt knew deep down JA98 was going to get the start.

I love the fact that t is JA98 serviing the crow o the haters They are already worng about him due to him getting the start.

A lot of "here is who started "BUT".........

Some here seem defensive and struggle with just saying who the 4 starting Falcon DL are.

In the offseason, many here with the "BUT" problem insisted JA98 was going to get beat out or even cut because he was so bad, yet they were wrong.

. Maybe since they have been proved wrong they are now changing up their arguments.

Pretty much confirms what I've been saying all offseason: JA98 is still valuable as a pretty good run defender DE, but when it's crunch time on 3rd downs, he stinks as a pass rusher. Seems the coaching staff agrees since he was replaced in nearly every significant 3rd down situation today.

Another astute observation. I'm suprised anyone ever doubts you...

He HAS been beaten out of his pass rushing role; thats blatantly obvious to anyone that watched the game and noticed that he was on the bench for nearly EVERY 3rd down attempt from Miami. Gee, a DE that is only good for run defense starts the game when...OMG...1st and 2nd down are for run defense. Wow, you've really proven your point with that one! :rolleyes:

Again, I'm glad JA98 is here on the team to provide the run D because Biermann and Sidbury would be getting blown off the LOS if asked to play 1st and 2nd down too often. And Davis would be the only other De on the roster with any real run stop ability. But that in NO way means I am happy with JA98 as a two way DE that is complete like Abe is. And it definitely is not what I want from my long term starter at that position after this year.

Crow is already being served by JA98 to those here who INSISTED this offseason he would either get beat out or cut and no way would be named the starter in game 1 this season.

They started moving the goalposts after seeing he was playing better in preseason (despite them publicly denying it) and they were quie as church mice the last week because they jusyt knew deep down JA98 was going to get the start.

I love the fact that t is JA98 serviing the crow o the haters They are already worng about him due to him getting the start.

Well Jeff, as long as you're happy having a bust starting for you, then we're all happy for you. congrats.