This Defense

atljbo

You sure did JBO, I felt the same way, you cant judge a team off of preseason, I knew we would be at least as good as last year, now im not gonna act like I expected what happened today, The D was our strength out thier today, they gave us great field position all day caused turnovers all around great performance

Still too early to call it. They played great TODAY.

When they do it consistently, then we can say they are great or even good. It takes more than preseason to prove your worth and it takes more than 1 game, also.

Totally right.

Our defense played great today but that does not mean they are totally 100% better from how they played during the pre-season.

I still worry about our secondary big time against teams with a better passing game.

I told you guys that it was no reason to worry.... It was the preseason....... Our Defense is definitely better....... Nicholas, Peterson, and Lofton balled out.... The whole Defense had a great day

Amen brother. My friends were getting irritated with my constant, "It's just preseason, it's meaningless" chant, but look who was right now! Falcons D is for real baby.

You sure did JBO, I felt the same way, you cant judge a team off of preseason, I knew we would be at least as good as last year, now im not gonna act like I expected what happened today, The D was our strength out thier today, they gave us great field position all day caused turnovers all around great performance

Exactly.....

Our D will have not so good games like every other Defense but I knew for a fact that our D was and is better then last year's D

They played well, I'm extremely proud of the defense's effort today...with that said, let's keep it going for the rest of the season!

PS - I did predict our DL would have a breakout season...they created all types of pressure. Much props out to Smitty and BVG on creating an excellent rotation of linemen. Pennington may have had the worst game of his career today, even with a TD...;)

Oh if you guys didn't notice, Van Gorder did NOT call plays like he did in the PS.....Is the PS he called a lot of blitzes to see how the CB respond, and the result wasn't so good....But today, he did not blitz that much at all....Our front 4 got amazing pressure and I bet that EXACTLY what this coaching staff has been looking for...Another thought, the young guys REALLY stepped up on this D.

gotta agree with MilleniumFalcon. Our D did look good today and the addition of Hill and Williams will no doubt help, but let's not too excited just yet. We have Steve Smith next week and even though Delhomme seemed to have turned into a turnover machine, Steve Smith has a tendency to put up huge numbers against our secondary. As for our offense, we played great after starting off slow. There were at least 3 big shots down the field where Matty Ice missed wide-open receivers in the first half. Some say he's regressed but i think he just had a few season-opener jitters. A couple of the throws were just over or under by a couple feet. Overthrows are better than underthrows on the deep routes. But the "overthrow" to Norwood looked pretty good, but it looked like Norwood slowed down while trying to find the ball. Other than that I think we did a phenomenal job. D-line looked great and how bout Bierman. He was in on every tackle on kickoffs and he's a D-lineman.

Today's exactly why I was saying you can never take anything (from a team's performance perspective) away from the preseason. It's just not an accurate way to guage a team's performance. Individual performance, maybe. But a team's performance, no way.

Oh yeah, and just so everyone can prepare themselves - our defense is young. The most common trait amoung young players is inconsistency. Expect our defense to look bad at times. But today we saw a glimpse at what they are capable of.

I told you guys that it was no reason to worry.... It was the preseason....... Our Defense is definitely better....... Nicholas, Peterson, and Lofton balled out.... The whole Defense had a great day

LOL. We'll have to explain this to a bunch of these guys again next year. What gets me is some of these older guys who have been watching for years that should know better still getting worried about what happens during ANY preseason game, even game 3. This defense has potential to be a very good unit. I still expect some growing pains this year but they are young, fast, and intense. Just what we always wanted. I want to see Crabapple come on here and apologize to me, Jaymadd, and Falcon Ace for saying we only thought Peterson was faster and more aggressive than Brooking because of his dreadlocks and it had nothing to do with his play. I need an apology. lol.

People freaking out over preseason are clueless. Then again, some around here freak out over every little detail. :o