Who is really worried about the strength of schedule?

DBG

Who?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. who is worried?

• Yes, the NFL has the same dominant teams every year
    • No, don't be nieve
    • I'm a mindless zombie and ESPN tells me that this means something

Lets look at just last season...

You look at your schedule and see ATL, MIA, Baltimore, and you celebrate because they sucked in 07.

You see Jacksonville, New Orleans, and Seattle and you get scared.

Same goes with this season. Carolina was a fluke last year, Delhomme's elbow is hanging on with scotch tape; New Orleans never lives up to expectations; NYG have the terrible receivers and lost their d coor; NE's defense is old as dirt, and Brady is scared now; Miami's wildcat? what a joke. They just don't have the personnel to do anything else and they still don't. I could go on and on.

Truth is, strength of schedule is a meaningless stat, when you are comparing the 2009 falcons against the 2008 everybody else.

I'm a mindless zombie and have to be told what to believe. lol. Truth is, Peyton is right. Great teams play the schedule and don't worry about it. Even Ryan says we have to get used to it. I am a little worried but only because of our young defense and them still being a work in progress. I have no doubt our offense will be able to score on anybody though. I am not too worried because I know we are a tough team as well plus we really don't know who will be tough or what will not be tough on that schedule until we start playing the games. Every year is different and there will be surprised and disappointments this year. Just like every year.

If your not a great team, the schedule is important. If you are a great team, the schedule is not important.

Hey look, it's the guy who does nothing but disagree and inject his own opinion (although he usually just plays semantics). Welcome nerd!

What are you talking about? Does anybody know what he is talking about?

I'm talking about the way you always pop into a thread, and you paraphrase what someone else has already said. Yet, you attempt to present it as a new idea. Then every time you do that, I have to look at all the pictures of you and your boyfriend.

I'm talking about the way you always pop into a thread, and you paraphrase what someone else has already said. Yet, you attempt to present it as a new idea. Then every time you do that, I have to look at all the pictures of you and your boyfriend.

Ok, that's something completely different than what you said before, but I still have no idea what you are talking about.

Lets look at just last season...

You look at your schedule and see ATL, MIA, Baltimore, and you celebrate because they sucked in 07.

You see Jacksonville, New Orleans, and Seattle and you get scared.

Same goes with this season. Carolina was a fluke last year, Delhomme's elbow is hanging on with scotch tape; New Orleans never lives up to expectations; NYG have the terrible receivers and lost their d coor; NE's defense is old as dirt, and Brady is scared now; Miami's wildcat? what a joke. They just don't have the personnel to do anything else and they still don't. I could go on and on.

Truth is, strength of schedule is a meaningless stat, when you are comparing the 2009 falcons against the 2008 everybody else.

Agree that SoS is pretty meaningless. There are always surprise teams that pop up and have a great year & good teams that because of injury or a chemistry problem have a very down year.

That said, in the "age of parity" in the NFL there are teams that you can pretty much count on to be very good year in and year out. Same with teams that you can count on to traditionally be bad. I think the NFL & ESPN are pushing the parity thing, but between organizations, I think that there is not really any parity. You've got the high end teams, who are always there every year, always tough, even when they don't make the playoffs and you've got a lot of bottom feeders. Organizations who know what they are doing are seemingly always at the top and very tough to beat. There isn't parity in the NFL, there is very good, very bad and a few in the middle who get lucky and have a top notch year, but then go back to reality the next couple of seasons. I think our organization is making the move towards top notch and we're going to be one of the tough teams for the next few years. There is a little changing of the guard so to speak, especially in the NFC South.

Agree that SoS is pretty meaningless. There are always surprise teams that pop up and have a great year & good teams that because of injury or a chemistry problem have a very down year.

That said, in the "age of parity" in the NFL there are teams that you can pretty much count on to be very good year in and year out. Same with teams that you can count on to traditionally be bad. I think the NFL & ESPN are pushing the parity thing, but between organizations, I think that there is not really any parity. You've got the high end teams, who are always there every year, always tough, even when they don't make the playoffs and you've got a lot of bottom feeders. Organizations who know what they are doing are seemingly always at the top and very tough to beat. There isn't parity in the NFL, there is very good, very bad and a few in the middle who get lucky and have a top notch year, but then go back to reality the next couple of seasons. I think our organization is making the move towards top notch and we're going to be one of the tough teams for the next few years. There is a little changing of the guard so to speak, especially in the NFC South.

Interesting that you put it that way. Cause TRADITIONALLY, ATL is a "bottom-feeder".

We dont have to beat everyone. All we have to beat is the NFC South. And they play the same schedule as us

Excellent point. Outside of 2 games, we've all got the same schedule in the NFC South. So, if we finish 7-9 and everybody else is worse against that schedule, we make the playoffs. Win the division first, conference second, and then the superbowl.