And with the first pick, Miami takes … not Matt Ryan!

Peyton

Jeff Schultz, I didn't see it posted, sorry if it was.

Link

The other day in Weekend Predictions — a weekly and somewhat hallucinatory departure from this planet — I recounted how Bill Parcells solicited a job offer from Falcons owner Arthur Blank in December of 2007, only to then give him the standard hello-I-must be-going Bronx salute and take a similar position with the Miami Dolphins.

Actually, I’m not really sure Parcells ever gave Blank an official salute. He might have just left one of those little Bobby Petrino sticky notes on the door of the executive washroom.

But today, we recall another interesting tie between the Falcons and Dolphins, before Sunday’s season opener at the Georgia Dome: Matt Ryan.

Seems hard to believe now. But Ryan actually was only the third player selected in the 2008 draft. Miami passed on him first overall, opting for left tackle Jake Long. St. Louis passed on him second overall, taking defensive end Chris Long. What’s even harder to believe is really smart people like me thought Thomas Dimitroff must have been dropped on his head at some point for taking Ryan and passing on Kansas City defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. (I was just kidding. Sort of like taking Georgia over Oklahoma State.)

We know the rest. Ryan threw a touchdown pass on his first NFL attempt. He was named Rookie of the Year. He helped heal a franchise, its owner and a city. He led the Falcons to an 11-5 record and the playoffs. Parcells is fortunate. Because if the Dolphins didn’t also have a strong season, and had tanked, he’d be fried in South Florida.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with Jake Long. Great left tackles are difficult to come by in the NFL, and obviously it’s an important position. But Long isn’t Ryan — and certainly neither is Miami quarterback Chad Pennington (solid but injury prone).

Knowing what you know now about Ryan, imagine how would you would feel if you saw him emerge from the tunnel Sunday in a Dolphins uniform?

The Florida Sun-Sentinel noted that former Dallas quarterback-turned-broadcaster Troy Aikman raised the issue during a recent Miami pre-season game, saying: “There [are] a lot of people that wondered why the Dolphins didn’t take Matt Ryan. If you know he’s a franchise quarterback, then you take him there. Something about it, the Dolphins didn’t think he was a franchise quarterback.”

They guessed wrong on that one. And think about this, if Parcells had signed with the Falcons and come to the same conclusion about Ryan, he wouldn’t have drafted him here either.

Parcells not coming here was the best thing that ever happened to the Falcons.

I hate Parcells with a passion! I hope Ryan hits his fat $%* in the face with a football . . .

Torching the Dolphins defense would be sufficient for me. I thought what Parcells did to the Falcons was incredibly weak, but obviously it turned out to be the best thing for the franchise, as Schultz pointed out.

You're a nerd for posting all those pics of yourself in your sig. I really don't care that you are part of an interracial gay couple.

They are pictures from the Super Bowl. Sorry you don't like. I hope your unneccesary personal attacks make you feel like a big person.

if you are in need for a franchise left tackle and there is one sitting at 1st overall you take him, it doesnt matter if you pick a franchise qb and he doesnt get protected and is smoked from his blind side every now and then, the jury on our decision to take long over ryan is still out there until chad henne sees the field, which will be probably next year

Torching the Dolphins defense would be sufficient for me. I thought what Parcells did to the Falcons was incredibly weak, but obviously it turned out to be the best thing for the franchise, as Schultz pointed out.

I hate Parcells and I'm a Dallas fan. I was so glad to see him go. for all the talk about JJ drafting, Parcells drafted a few stinkers, too. He is a bully and one of the most negative people to have around, Always quick with the criticism and slow with the " nice job"

When he was with Dallas he seemed so intent on bringing in every old retread that ever played for him I kept expecting to see Phil Simms to push his walker through the door.

-He traded picks with Buffalo in the 2004 draft with Stephen Jackson on the board to drop back and pick... Julius Jones.One spot ahead of Bob Sanders. He had a spat with Antonio Bryant and shipped him off.

He DID take Demarcus Ware over Shawn Merriman, thank God, I will give him that ,and he did draft Jason Witten. He drafted MB3 who took the spot from Julius Jones

He did draft a lot of good players but also the likes of Marcus Spears and Bobby Carpenter who since 2005-6 have a combined total of 7 sacks. Both were 1st round, top 20 picks Our very own JA's. :P

They are pictures from the Super Bowl. Sorry you don't like. I hope your unneccesary personal attacks make you feel like a big person.

For real! What's up with some folks? You create an intriguing thread and all you get is silly hate? This guy with the Barbie doll man in his avatar must really have nothing better to do.

Nice post Peyton....your posts are certainly welcome. By the way that's bad a$$ that you were on the sideline for a Super Bowl. Not many can say they've experienced anything like that!

B)