And the Rumor becomes reality....

Ransack

Cox has injured throwing shoulder

Comment Email Print Share

By Joe Schad ESPN Archive

Georgia quarterback Joe Cox said Friday that he is attempting to play through an injured throwing shoulder.

SEC blog

Low ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.

• Blog network:

College Football Nation

"It's nerve problems caused by a muscle that protects my rotator cuff," Cox said. "One of the muscles that protects the rotator cuff has wasted away and that puts pressure on the rotator cuff."

Cox said he first felt pain this spring and that his lifting and throwing schedules have been altered.

Cox plans to start against South Carolina on Saturday. Sophomore Logan Gray is ready to play if called upon.

"Most of my pain is away from football," Cox said. "At night when I sleep. Picking up a bookbag. Driving with my right hand."

Cox said he does not believe that the injury has affected his velocity. Doctors have told Cox it's unlikely he'll need surgery.

"It might not get better," Cox said. "I might have it forever. I might just have to manage it."

Cox is also recovering from the flu, which affected him last week. Cox said he has lost nine pounds and only regained his appetite on Wednesday.

"I got the IV before the last game," Cox said. "I wasn't breathing well. I was weak. But I'm feeling better now."

Georgia coaches are saying they believe that right now, Cox gives the team the best chance to win.

Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN.

"Its Saturday in Athens"!!

Good to see this finally come out publicly and for Joe Cox to talk about it. I have known this for about 3 weeks now which was why I was stunned he played on Saturday and why I was ticked off that he was in the game. NO excuse for our coaching staff to put in a guy who is hurt and recovering from the flu.

Agree 100%.

So let me get this straight... our coaching staff sent in a QB that was hurt and suffering from exhaustion due to flu like symptoms to play against a top 10 team on the road? What a friggin joke.... This coaching staff needs a reality check.

This can cost Richt his job, if we lose on bad QB play, due to starting an injured QB. Why doesnt Richt have faith in Gray?

Good to see this finally come out publicly and for Joe Cox to talk about it. I have known this for about 3 weeks now which was why I was stunned he played on Saturday and why I was ticked off that he was in the game. NO excuse for our coaching staff to put in a guy who is hurt and recovering from the flu.

Well said. No excuse for this. Is Richt trying to get fired or something?

Well said. No excuse for this. Is Richt trying to get fired or something?

I just comes back to that loyalty thing. I think he's such an honorable person that he didn't want to sit a guy who didn't transfer and waited 5 years to get his chance to lead the team. Remember the Shockley/Greene era when as good as Greene was Shockley still got snaps b/c he promised him when he recruited him. He's just loyal and I think he was determined NOT to bench Cox to start the season.

So.... Cox with an injured throwing shoulder and fatigue from the flu inspires more confidence from our coaches than a fully healthy Gray or promising young freshman Murray?

I can understand to an extent that Richt wants to make it good for Cox being committed to his program, but he already cost us a big game... if the problems continue then Richt needs to do the right thing and move on. Cox's injury may be a chronic one that bothers him for the rest of his life.

I'll give him the SCar game to show he can be effective... but I'm not expecting much. Unlike Oklahoma State, South Carolina actually does play pretty good defense consistently.

That was my first thought. Maybe Logan Gray isn't the answer, but if he's the better guy than he gotta be out there, loyalty or not.

I give Richt enough credit to say that if Gray was better than Cox, he would have been starting against OSU. We will see on Saturday night, but honestly, I wont be able to make my determination on Joe Cox until I see him throw the ball down the field.

That was my first thought. Maybe Logan Gray isn't the answer, but if he's the better guy than he gotta be out there, loyalty or not.

That is not why Logan is not in the game. They have confidence in Logay gray running this offense.. His loyalty to joe cox is the reason why and joe cox telling him he can play through the pain and he is the 5th year senior who knows the offense.. There are plenty of reasons to play joe cox, but not having confidence in logan gray isn't one of them.

That is not why Logan is not in the game. They have confidence in Logay gray running this offense.. His loyalty to joe cox is the reason why and joe cox telling him he can play through the pain and he is the 5th year senior who knows the offense.. There are plenty of reasons to play joe cox, but not having confidence in logan gray isn't one of them.

Agreed that Gray is not starting b/c of loyalty. This is Gray's 3rd year. He should know the playbook pretty darn good by now. If it's not loyalty then why should Cox start over Gray. Coming into the season Cox has had only 1 start not much more experience over Gray. If this is what they are saying it is, a rebuilding year, Then make it one by starting either Gray or Murray so UGA and the fans possibly won't have to go through this again next year with the QB play.