ESPN Chat: Pat Yasinskas

theProf

ezell (atlanta)

hi pat when will see tye hill and brian williams starting for atlanta

Pat Yasinskas (12:50 PM)

Probably take a couple of weeks.

Mads (Denmark)

Hi Pat... Best reason why Falcons win NFC South?

Pat Yasinskas (12:51 PM)

Their coach.

Stephen (Las Vegas)

Hey Pat, why does the Falcons team page show its 2006 statistical leaders? Michael Vick, Warrick Dunn?!?!?

Pat Yasinskas (1:00 PM)

Not sure. I'll let our people who handle that know. Thanks for letting me know.

Greg (Cleveland, OH)

Pat, sorry to hear about the passing of your journalist friend. I"m a Falcons fan, but I don't see the playoffs this year. The offense will be great, the defense is better than the preseason when they were experimenting with blitzes. But a) the Falcons have the WORST schedule in football (not only 4th hardest win%, but more teams coming off the bye than any schedule in recent history), and B) they can't be as lucky this year with injuries. NO got the honey of a schedule, with no bye-teams, and it's not like Grant or Smith did anything last year...

Pat Yasinskas (1:02 PM)

Thanks. Tom Berry was a great man. I'm proud the Pro Football Writers of America are doing something to keep his memory going. Greg, you sound like a Red Sox fan -- accepting failure before it happens. Your points are valid. But think back to your expectations last year at this time. I'm sure what happened far exceeded those expectations. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Aaron (Dade City)

Rank the best defenses in the south this year first to last, your opinion

Pat Yasinskas (1:13 PM)

All right, nobody is really blowing me away so I'm going to project a bit and go: 1. New Orleans -- I think they'll take a big leap 2. Carolina

3. Atlanta 4. Tampa Bay

Thomas (Georgia)

I'm 0-4 on the posts so far, this is turning into a Lions campaign. I'll try a few more times though, how do you see the Falcons secondary evolving now that they will a little more depth at CB?

Pat Yasinskas (1:23 PM)

Tye Hill can only help. Could turn out to be like Foxworth last year and that would be nice.

Nathan (Cary, NC)

I have not seen Brian Williams play in a while, but he was never the fastest guy - is he still a viable cover corner?

Pat Yasinskas (1:26 PM)

Think they're looking at him more as a safety at this point.

Jimmy (NC)

Pat - Matt Ryan - stud in the making or expect a soph slump this season? How much does Gonzo help him out?Thanks

Pat Yasinskas (1:37 PM)

Stud, without a doubt.

Wally (Los Angeles)

Pat, I know you are really high on Matt Ryan but I am worried you might be wrong. Here is my reasoning. He plays a MUCH tougher schedule, Turner is way more likely to be less productive then more productive, and teams are going to game plan much more for his style then they were able to last year. Am I insane or are these fair concerns?

Pat Yasinskas (1:40 PM)

Fair concerns, sure. But I saw the guy look better from the end of last season to minicamp and even better in training camp. I just think he's a machine and Gonzalez will only help.

Mark H (Greensboro, NC)

Who are your Off and Def Rookies of the Year in the NFC South this year? Everrette Brown and Mike Goodson? :)

Pat Yasinskas (1:48 PM)

No, I'll go Malcolm Jenkins (or maybe Peria Jerry) and ...well, I will go Goodson on offense -- unless Freeman plays early.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/28238

Nathan (Cary, NC)

I have not seen Brian Williams play in a while, but he was never the fastest guy - is he still a viable cover corner?

Pat Yasinskas (1:26 PM)

Think they're looking at him more as a safety at this point.

I kind of figured that we wont be seeing Williams starting at CB, i see him playing the Nickel and Safety in different situations.

I kind of figured that we wont be seeing Williams starting at CB, i see him playing the Nickel and Safety in different situations.

I think Williams might take over at SS, and Colemen moved back to FS, if DeCoud struggles too much early on. Evidently Williams has lost a little bit of his speed, and might not be a good fit at outside CB at this stage of his career.

I think Williams might take over at SS, and Colemen moved back to FS, if DeCoud struggles too much early on. Evidently Williams has lost a little bit of his speed, and might not be a good fit at outside CB at this stage of his career.

I agree, but as long as the posters think he is going to be a CB and it stops then from complaining then we will keep this little secret to ourselves :D

Tandy, thanks for that update. Did they happen to indicate what position Williams might play: SS, NB, or CB?

The quote was rather cryptic - but he was referred to by the AJC as CB - but that means nothing .... exact quote:

ON CB BRIAN WILLIAMS: "He'll have involvement in the game," VanGorder said.

Does that mean - 1 snap for the whole game? Nickel packages? Water boy? Who knows :)

Greg (Cleveland, OH)

Pat, sorry to hear about the passing of your journalist friend. I"m a Falcons fan, but I don't see the playoffs this year. The offense will be great, the defense is better than the preseason when they were experimenting with blitzes. But a) the Falcons have the WORST schedule in football (not only 4th hardest win%, but more teams coming off the bye than any schedule in recent history), and B) they can't be as lucky this year with injuries. NO got the honey of a schedule, with no bye-teams, and it's not like Grant or Smith did anything last year...

I Think we can all agree Greg from Cleveland Ohio is a *****.

LMAO at sayin the saints are gonna have the number 1 defense in the division

Yasinskas also thought the Saints would have the best offense in the NFC South, but still picked the Saints to finish 3rd in the division. He got chided for this a little later on in the chat as follows:

Matt (Lawrenceville)

So you think NO has the best defense in the division, to go along with the NFL's best offense last year, and you pick them 3rd for the diviosn? Doesn't make much sense

Pat Yasinskas (1:16 PM)

Nope, it doesn't. But that's what predictions are all about.

Chad (Las Vegas)

I vote for Pat Yasinskas as the funniest person in the NFC South. Saints best O and D yet 3rd and a Penn St. fan. Sounds funny to me!!

Pat Yasinskas (1:37 PM)

There you go.

The quote was rather cryptic - but he was referred to by the AJC as CB - but that means nothing .... exact quote:

Does that mean - 1 snap for the whole game? Nickel packages? Water boy? Who knows :)

Thanks for the additional info. However, you are correct in that "involvement in the game" gives us no idea what position Williams might see action at or the extent of hs playing time in the game.

RapidReports

Friday, September 11, 2009

3:26:04 pm It remains to be seen how much new Falcons CB Brian Williams plays Sunday against Miami, but defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder said he will likely see some playing time. "He'll have some impact," VanGorder said. "How much is still yet to be determined."

I asked Yasinskas his opinion on Falcons new starting safety, Thomas DeCoud, twice during yesterday's chat. Yasinskas didn't respond either time.

Yasinkas in his mailbag today reiterrated his opinion that Williams will be playing Safety for the Falcons:

"Mike in Jasper, GA writes: Pat, have the falcons made enough moves to shore up the secondary and be more competitive on 3rd down?

Pat Yasinskas: Well, we’re about to find out. But I think the Falcons did the best they could to upgrade at the end of the preseason. The trade for Tye Hill gives them a cornerback, who, at least at one time, was considered a first-round talent. He still has some upside and I think he’ll help. Also think veteran Brian Williams can help as a safety. He’s got some history with Mike Smith. The Atlanta secondary isn’t going to overwhelm anyone, but I think it’s now at least as good as it was last year."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post?id=2724