Kids Didn't Hear Obama

DirtyBirdNorth

Kids Didn't Hear Obama, But Will Be Bussed for Bush

Church questions district's "duplicity" on president talks

By STACY MORROW

Updated 4:27 PM CDT, Wed, Sep 9, 2009

The Arlington Independent School District, which passed on airing President Barack Obama's live classroom address, has announced that some students will be bussed off campus to hear a message from former President George W. Bush on Sept. 21.

District officials said it's part of a Cowboys Stadium field trip that the North Texas Super Bowl Host Committee invited 28 fifth-grade classes to attend several months ago.

In addition to hearing from Bush and former first lady Laura Bush, the students will hear from legendary Dallas Cowboys players and North Texas business and community leaders. The event launches the Super Bowl committee's largest-ever youth education program.

Students must have their parents' permission to attend, school officials said.

Dwight McKissic Sr., the senior pastor of Arlington's Cornerstone Baptist Church, said he's concerned about the district's decision to not broadcast Obama's message while transporting students to hear a message from Bush.

"I do not understand the duplicity in this situation," McKissic said in a news release from the church. "I believe the students and the public deserve and need to have these differences explained."

Obama told students to stay in school, work hard and set goals in an 18-minute speech delivered Tuesday morning from Wakefield High School in Arlington, Va.

The Arlington school district, like many in North Texas, decided not to broadcast the president's speech live after some parents expressed concern about its content.

The district said the recorded speech would be made available through its Web site.

The school district allowed students with permission slips from parents an excused absence to watch Obama's speech at an off-site location.

Cornerstone Baptist Church was among the facilities that broadcast Obama's address for students and parents who wanted to watch the speech live.

Link

What is the problem here?

Are you serious?

I think it's pretty obvious. A few school districts got upset and refused to show the Obama speech, because they felt children shouldn't be brought into the political arena. Some of these schools however are now sending their children to see a former republican president. Some schools that refused to show Obama's speech used to broadcast Bush speeches in their classrooms. The people that run these schools are clearly choosing sides, and forcing children into a ridiculous situation.

It's "Don't force our children into political discussions", unless we approve and it's republican ONLY.

Are you serious?

I think it's pretty obvious. A few school districts got upset and refused to show the Obama speech, because they felt children shouldn't be brought into the political arena. Some of these schools however are now sending their children to see a former republican president. Some schools that refused to show Obama's speech used to broadcast Bush speeches in their classrooms. The people that run these schools are clearly choosing sides, and forcing children into a ridiculous situation.

It's "Don't force our children into political discussions", unless we approve and it's republican ONLY.

I didn't click on the link but just read what's here on the boards. I do now notice that they put the Bush speech in their classrooms. I thought it was sayin that it was part of a fieldtrip to see a bush speech and they were welcome to have the day off, parent willing, to watch the obama speech.

still don't care.

The school system in which my 2 boys attend did not show the Obama speech and I'm okay with this. On the other hand, I would pay good money for them to see a legendary President like our 43rd. :P

Yeah, he's a good example of why kids should stay in school and become more intelligent. Hopefully he doesn't teach them to depend on your money and influence to get them through school.

Are you serious?

well that was the official reason but we all know the truth.