Chipper talks retirement

ugadawg

Vintage Chipper, as much as I would hate to see my boy retire I'm glad he won't be one of those guys who just can't let go.

I really wanted to see him get 500 homers though.

Yeah. I hope he definitely has a better year next year, but He would need to play a few more years to get to 500 and I don't know if it is in the cards.

if he wants to improve his hitting from this season, he needs to seriously consider switching to a lighter bat so that he can catch up to pitches. i believe that i heard he swings one of the heavier bats in baseball, but he seems like he's having trouble catching up these days.

I remember hearing Boog and Joe saying that he had switched to a lighter bat a couple of weeks ago.

I know guys can fall off dramatically at the end of their careers, but it's hard to imagine he lost it completely just a year after winning a batting title. Here's hoping he can rebound next year.

I remember hearing Boog and Joe saying that he had switched to a lighter bat a couple of weeks ago.

I know guys can fall off dramatically at the end of their careers, but it's hard to imagine he lost it completely just a year after winning a batting title. Here's hoping he can rebound next year.

Exactly. He is in a funk and had a bad year, but I would bet that he works out some kinks in his swing over the offseason and has a much better year next season.

I heard on the broadcast that his dad worked with him while down in Houston on some things. He told Chipper that he could see both numbers from the CF camera and for a guy with an open stance that is really closed off. This in turn was causing him to fly open when he swung. I will be interested if a few days with dear old dad fixes some things. If this happens everyone should want TP gone since it will be proven again he is worthless.

Also he only uses a heavy bat RH he uses a light bat LH. I may have the hand mixed but you get the picture. That is why the color difference in his bats from each side it is weight difference.

Way too many injuries for me, man I hope they have a good third base prospect in the system. Not sure how many games he has left in him at this point. Wish he had stayed healthy throughout his career, who knows what his numbers would have been like?

There isn't one. The only guy we have in the farm system that could possibly be seen as a replacement for him is Brandon Hicks, and the guy struggled in his first year at AA (understandable), and still needs to cut down on his strikeouts (had 131 in 128 games this year).

Both Prado and Infante can play 3rd... and you could feasibly move Escobar there as well if you could find a viable replacement at SS.

Infante, throughout his career, has proven that he's nothing more than an above-average bench player. The Tigers tried starting him at SS or 3B (can't remember which one) a couple of years ago, and he floundered, leading to him being released. If you put Prado at 3rd, then you still leave a hole in your infield at 2B, which we still wouldn't have a player to fill that void unless KJ can learn how to hit with consistency. It's safe to say that Chipper's eventual replacement, or a hole created by his replacement, will come from outside of the organization.