Can someone please explain...

L.Rover

I realize this is a hot topic for everyone (YOU LIE!).... but generally someone stands to benefit/ make money off such a controversial program.

But who actually benefits? The poor people who can't currently afford Health Insurance?

I just can't figure out why anyone... ANYONE.... would be interested in a government run Healthcare. Here are the things that scare me:

1) The government having sudden control of roughly 15% of our economy (Healthcare). The can't even run the Post Office with a profit, why would we give them Healthcare?

2) The IRS acting as the Healthcare policing agency....... do I even need to elaborate on this one?

3) Lastly (or at least the last one I want to use in this discussion), where does the incentive to live a healthy lifestyle go? Do smokers pay more taxes to offset their higher risk of lung cancer? Do alcoholics pay more in taxes to pay for a potential future liver transplant?

I understand that there is a need for a new HealthCare PAYMENT system in this country. But there is not a Healthcare Crisis in this country. If you have an emergency, you will not be denied care at the hospital. So why do Dems want this so badly?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the first place you have to start is with the fact that the government is not taking over healthcare. there is no government run healthcare.

You are correct. A typo on my part.

What I meant was government controlled Healthcare payment program.

That doesn't change my concerns, and I have yet to read an advantage.

If the government is struggling to fund Cash for Clunkers in a timely manner (it is now predicted that Car Dealers will get the money no sooner than late Sept. due to 'bureaucracy concerns') what can we expect for government controlled Healthcare Payment?

Your credibility suffers from beginning this thread by referring to health care reform as Obamacare.

Don't get hung up on the name. If Obama can't give it a name (he never defined which 'Bill' he was referring to last night, because at this point there are multiple out there), then we have to call it something.

I guess if I had just stuck with Healthcare Payment Reform, I would have gotten an intelligent response.

The post office example is so lame.

The government controls 100% of our common defense and safety... do you feel safe knowing the same people that can't run the post office look after you at night?

I see what you are trying to prove, but it isn't the same thing. In fact, it is a lame example.

Our defense and safety isn't a business, it is a service. One that can not be underestimated. There isn't a private sector alternative to the Army, or Navy, or Marines, etc.

The Postal Service isn't a service, its a business. One that is further and further in debt because the private sector competition, FedEx & UPS, continually outperform.

Your credibility suffers from beginning this thread by referring to health care reform as Obamacare.

... and your credibility for providing a completely useless post in response is.......?

The idea of people who ignore general healthy behaviors (smoking, excessive drinking or drug use) paying the same for HealthCare is scary.

You are correct. A typo on my part.

What I meant was government controlled Healthcare payment program.

That doesn't change my concerns, and I have yet to read an advantage.

If the government is struggling to fund Cash for Clunkers in a timely manner (it is now predicted that Car Dealers will get the money no sooner than late Sept. due to 'bureaucracy concerns') what can we expect for government controlled Healthcare Payment?

Don't get hung up on the name. If Obama can't give it a name (he never defined which 'Bill' he was referring to last night, because at this point there are multiple out there), then we have to call it something.

I guess if I had just stuck with Healthcare Payment Reform, I would have gotten an intelligent response.

I see what you are trying to prove, but it isn't the same thing. In fact, it is a lame example.

Our defense and safety isn't a business, it is a service. One that can not be underestimated. There isn't a private sector alternative to the Army, or Navy, or Marines, etc.

The Postal Service isn't a service, its a business. One that is further and further in debt because the private sector competition, FedEx & UPS, continually outperform.

healthcare payment will not be taken over by the government either. we can talk about ideas b/c that is all there is right now on the table. you can go off of what the president said last night, and that was the "hundreds of millions of americans" with health insurance will be able to keep what they have now.

healthcare payment will not be taken over by the government either. we can talk about ideas b/c that is all there is right now on the table. you can go off of what the president said last night, and that was the "hundreds of millions of americans" with health insurance will be able to keep what they have now.

was the same speech where he told those same Americans that this plan would not add to the deficit? Because that was only true assuming MediCare could be counted on to provide $248 BILLION to offset the cost of Healthcare Payment reform.

was the same speech where he told those same Americans that this plan would not add to the deficit? Because that was only true assuming MediCare could be counted on to provide $248 BILLION to offset the cost of Healthcare Payment reform.

yes, until we see an actual single bill then that is all we really have to go off of and all we can do is discuss what ifs

If you don't believe we have a healthcare crisis you are ill informed. Premiums have skyrocketed while millions have lost coverage due to our failing economy. Medical bankruptcies are increasing at an alarming rate and we have an aging population that needs more and more expensive medical care. Our current system is stacked against the patient,

... and your credibility for providing a completely useless post in response is.......?

The idea of people who ignore general healthy behaviors (smoking, excessive drinking or drug use) paying the same for HealthCare is scary.

Where in any plan does it say that everyone will pay the same premiums newb?

Let the big people talk.

If you don't believe we have a healthcare crisis you are ill informed. Premiums have skyrocketed while millions have lost coverage due to our failing economy. Medical bankruptcies are increasing at an alarming rate and we have an aging population that needs more and more expensive medical care. Our current system is stacked against the patient,

EXACTLY! We DON'T have a Healthcare Crisis... we have a Healthcare PAYMENT crisis.

We are one of very few countries that can not turn away someone from a hospital in need of medical attention. Rough estimates point to 20% of all services provided by doctors being written off due to non-payment.

WE DONT HAVE A HEALTHCARE CRISIS. only a Healthcare PAYMENT Crisis.

Where in any plan does it say that everyone will pay the same premiums newb?

Let the big people talk.

In HR3100, the IRS would act as the policy enforcement for the defined Healthcare..... AKA your taxes would be your premiums....... newb

Ever heard of Blackwater?

In HR3100, the IRS would act as the policy enforcement for the defined Healthcare..... AKA your taxes would be your premiums....... newb

HR 3100?!?!?!?

Don't think so.

...but in HR 3200 the IRS would be required to receive payments on personal income for those who chose to NOT arrange for ANY Health Care Plan.

The Treasury would not receive payments for insurance premiums. Those would be transmitted to your health care provider. If you think that health insurance will be paid to the Treasury you too should sit this discussion out until you have an opportunity to better inform yourself.

This is a good analogy, I think. Imagine how much more our auto insurance would be if 30-40% of the drivers on the road were not covered with basic liability.

If everyone, generally speaking, has basic health care coverage then that will lower medical costs...along with trimming the adminsitrative costs. Then that will lower our insurance premiums...well it should at least in theory.

This is very basic. There is way more to it then just getting everyone covered.