Rapid Reports 9/10/09

Lowndesfalc

Link

Thursday, September 10, 2009

5:22:39 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith said CB Brian Williams has picked up the defensive playbook faster than CB Tye Hill so far. "(Williams) is much further ahead than Tye because Tye hasn't experienced (our system)," Smith said. "But we're going to try to get those guys going as quickly as we can."

5:21:48 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith said he expects to see a variety of Dolphins receivers on Sunday, including Greg Camarillo (coming off knee injury) and rookie Brian Hartline. "If you look at what they did last year, they distributed it evenly between (Ted) Ginn, Camarillo and (Devone) Bess."

5:21:25 pm Fantasy outlook: In deep receiver leagues, Falcons WR Michael Jenkins isn't a bad idea as a third option. With WR Roddy White and TE Tony Gonzalez occupying a lot of coverage, Jenkins could see his share of open field against Miami.

5:20:29 pm S William Moore (hamstring) was the only player missing practice today, according to Falcons coach Mike Smith. "It's encouraging to only have one guy out the week of the opening game," Smith said.

1:38:02 pm

Falcons DE John Abraham came in the same draft class as Dolphins QB Chad Pennington, when both went to the Jets. Abraham said putting pressure on Pennington will be key on Sunday. "Chad's been in the league long enough to know what he's good at," Abraham said. "Our big thing on the D-line is to put pressure on the QB and that's what we'll hope to do."

1:37:14 pm Falcons DE John Abraham was listed on the team's injury report with a knee injury yesterday, but Abraham said he's fine. "Coach always puts me on the report for something," Abraham said, smiling.

1:36:42 pm Miami QB Chad Pennington finished the preseason with a 101.0 rating. Falcons LB Curtis Lofton said it will be important for Atlanta to throw Pennington off his rhythm. "You're going to have to have good drops, good eyes and you can't bite the cheese," Lofton said."

1:35:53 pm Falcons LBCurtis Lofton said he doesn't see the Wildcat formation leaving the NFL any time soon. "I think it's going to be around unless teams start shutting it down," Lofton said. "If a team has success they'll run it until it's stopped. So I think it'll be around for a while."

1:35:17 pm The Falcons-Dolphins game isn't the only one on LT Sam Baker's mind. Baker, a former USC player, commented on the Trojans' upcoming game with Ohio State. "If I had to put a score - well my score would be 100-0 USC."

1:34:34 pm Falcons LT Sam Baker battled injuries through 2008. Asked about his focus this year, he said: "Just to get healthy. And I needed to work on some techniques here and there."

1:32:55 pm Falcons LT Sam Baker on preparing for Miami's defense, specifically the 3-4 scheme: "It's definitely going to be a challenge. I think we really need to be on our game and be as prepared as we can."