SP - Hudson

SP - Hanson

SP - Vazquez

SP - Jurrjens

SP - Medlen

CL - Gonzalez

SU - Moylan

SU - O'Flaherty

Get rid of Lowe, Kawakami, Norton, Anderson, Johnson, Acosta, Carlyle, Logan, Soriano and anyone else I might have missed. I really don't think our team is as bad as they have played the last couple weeks and I don't think we need to make that many changes. Would I like to see us go after Holliday or Bay? You bet your *** I would be that's only in dream land. I'm trying to be realistic.

i'd rather have soriano than gonzo. i love the "personality" gonzo shows on the mound, but **** it.....it's an adventure every time he pitches. he's either hit or miss and it seems that it's more often miss. if both are rested and ready for the 9th inning in a 1 run game, i'm going soriano. as a true closer, i think soriano excels. this platoon crap where he winds up with 15-20 extra appearances is what wears hi down over the course of the season.

i'd rather have soriano than gonzo. i love the "personality" gonzo shows on the mound, but **** it.....it's an adventure every time he pitches. he's either hit or miss and it seems that it's more often miss. if both are rested and ready for the 9th inning in a 1 run game, i'm going soriano. as a true closer, i think soriano excels. this platoon crap where he winds up with 15-20 extra appearances is what wears hi down over the course of the season.

I agree with this. The Braves need a closer and they need to use him that way and not trot him out every other day even if it is a non-save situation. I usually feel more confident in Soriano because he has better control than Gonzo. At this point I think Gonzo still has more blown saves than Soriano so that just shows how bad things got for Gonzo really fast while Soriano has just been worn out by being used too much. Personally, I am not really confident in either one of them anymore and wish a new better closer would fall from the sky.

As opposed to Soriano over the past month or so?

Gonzo also has a lower ERA and has pitched 1000000000x better than Soriano since the ASB.

As opposed to Soriano over the past month or so?

Gonzo also has a lower ERA and has pitched 1000000000x better than Soriano since the ASB.

Maybe since the ASB, but Soriano has been better this season.

Gonzo has blow 6 saves in 16 attempts, Soriano has blown 4 in 26 attempts. That is way better.

Gonzo has hit 7 batters this year, Sorinao has hit 1. That speaks to their control. So does Gonzo's 29 walks compared to Soriano's 22.

Maybe Soriano should be the first half closer and Gonzo should be the second half guy. I think no matter what Gonzo will always be a little wild as far as control goes and therefore much more of a liability to blow saves.

Taking Soriano's numbers the past month and acting like that is who he is is inaccurate. Most of our bullpen has been overused this season.

just some food for thought about the bullpen being overused.....

i couldn't remember the last time we had a complete game aside from javy's 8 inning CG earlier this season, so i did some research....

2007, 2008, and 2009, we have a total of 4 complete games. the MLB average for '07 was 4, '08 was 5, and '09 was 4.

2009, 1 CG's, MLB avg. 4

2008, 2 CG's, MLB avg. 5

2007, 1 CG's, MLB avg. 4

2006, 6 CG's, MLB avg. 5

2005, 8 CG's, MLB avg. 6

2004, 4 CG's, MLB avg. 5

2003, 4 CG's, MLB avg. 7

2002, 3 CG's, MLB avg. 7

2001, 5 CG's, MLB avg. 7

2000, 13 CG's, MLB avg. 8

not saying that we should have 8 or 13 CG's every year, but when you have work horses like Vasquez, he alone could easily have 3 or 4 CG to save the bullpen. Hanson should have had a CG the other night and there have been some gems tossed that could have easily been CG's if Bobby wasn't so in love with his daily cardio workout. the Kawakami game against Toronto comes to mind. just soe numbers that i dug up...

why do people think Heyward will be in the Majors on opening day, he'll be in AAA till June

People constantly point to the Braves' handling of Tommy Hanson as an indicator of what we'll do with Heyward...but Schafer started the year with the big club. We weren't going to bring Tommy up until we were 100% sure that Glavine could no longer be effective, and he wasn't even a position of need at that point. If Jason performs in ST, then he's more likely to do what Jordan Schafer did and start the year with the big club.

Because a) he really has nothing left to prove in the minors and B) there will be an opening in the Braves OF next season.

Hanson was ready this year out of ST bu they held him back for $$$$ reasons. Expect the same thing to happen with Heyward. They play it under the guise of "we don't want to rush him so we're going to send him to AAA for some more seasoning"... bank on it.

Hanson was ready this year out of ST bu they held him back for $$$$ reasons. Expect the same thing to happen with Heyward. They play it under the guise of "we don't want to rush him so we're going to send him to AAA for some more seasoning"... bank on it.

Then why did they have Schafer on the opening day roster? It works both ways. They also wanted Hanson to work on a couple of things at Gwinnett, one of which has been his only real problem at the major league level (control).

Hanson didn't make the job from spring training. They broke camp thinking Glavine was going to be the 5th starter. When Glavine couldn't go, they went with Reyes, who also had a better spring than Hanson and was already on the 40-man roster. When that didn't work out, it was already halfway through May, and it didn't seem like a big deal to let Hanson keep for a few more weeks.

I fully expect Jason Heyward will be given the opportunity to win the RF job in Spring Training.

However, don't rule out Jordan Schafer starting the season in RF if he starts off strong, or if Heyward falters.

With that being said, our LF spot is wide open as well, with Garrett Anderson likely gone and Matt Diaz not guaranteed a spot. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a position we attempt to trade for.

Hanson didn't make the job from spring training. They broke camp thinking Glavine was going to be the 5th starter. When Glavine couldn't go, they went with Reyes, who also had a better spring than Hanson and was already on the 40-man roster. When that didn't work out, it was already halfway through May, and it didn't seem like a big deal to let Hanson keep for a few more weeks.

I didn't say he made the team. I said he was ready to start. And despite everything you listed you'll never convince me that it was anything other than them not wanting his arbitration clock to start.

People constantly point to the Braves' handling of Tommy Hanson as an indicator of what we'll do with Heyward...but Schafer started the year with the big club. We weren't going to bring Tommy up until we were 100% sure that Glavine could no longer be effective, and he wasn't even a position of need at that point. If Jason performs in ST, then he's more likely to do what Jordan Schafer did and start the year with the big club.

absolutely 100% agree

I didn't say he made the team. I said he was ready to start. And despite everything you listed you'll never convince me that it was anything other than them not wanting his arbitration clock to start.

well then you are either being irrational or just looking for something to b!$*h about.

I agree with this. The Braves need a closer and they need to use him that way and not trot him out every other day even if it is a non-save situation. I usually feel more confident in Soriano because he has better control than Gonzo. At this point I think Gonzo still has more blown saves than Soriano so that just shows how bad things got for Gonzo really fast while Soriano has just been worn out by being used too much. Personally, I am not really confident in either one of them anymore and wish a new better closer would fall from the sky.

Sorry I have more confidence in Gonzalez than I do Soriano. Always have and always will. Another reason to keep Gonzo over Soriano is because we have Moylan. We can stick with that lefty-righty combo Bobby likes.

why do people think Heyward will be in the Majors on opening day, he'll be in AAA till June

Because Rafael Furcal made the team out of spring training in 2000 after never playing higher than A ball because there was an opening for him. There will be an opening next year for Heyward. We probably would have seen him this year had he not gotten hurt.

just some food for thought about the bullpen being overused.....

i couldn't remember the last time we had a complete game aside from javy's 8 inning CG earlier this season, so i did some research....

2007, 2008, and 2009, we have a total of 4 complete games. the MLB average for '07 was 4, '08 was 5, and '09 was 4.

2009, 1 CG's, MLB avg. 4

2008, 2 CG's, MLB avg. 5

2007, 1 CG's, MLB avg. 4

2006, 6 CG's, MLB avg. 5

2005, 8 CG's, MLB avg. 6

2004, 4 CG's, MLB avg. 5

2003, 4 CG's, MLB avg. 7

2002, 3 CG's, MLB avg. 7

2001, 5 CG's, MLB avg. 7

2000, 13 CG's, MLB avg. 8

not saying that we should have 8 or 13 CG's every year, but when you have work horses like Vasquez, he alone could easily have 3 or 4 CG to save the bullpen. Hanson should have had a CG the other night and there have been some gems tossed that could have easily been CG's if Bobby wasn't so in love with his daily cardio workout. the Kawakami game against Toronto comes to mind. just soe numbers that i dug up...

Yep. Bobby never lets guys get complete games anymore. Last night Pedro threw 130 pitches and Bobby is on record of saying that if a pitcher is having an easy night he can throw 125 before getting tired.

They also wanted Hanson to work some more on his control of his breaking pitches.

aren't we limited with Freddie Freeman being ready in 1-2 years? Who is available that fits our needs?

I wouldn't be surprised to get a Jake Fox of the Cubs type player, someone who could play LF & 1B.

Yes which is why I think the Braves could convince LaRoche to give a hometown discount for a 1 or 2 year contract. It's no accident he has put up monster numbers since we got him and it's no surprise while with Pittsburgh he came no where near those 2006 numbers. He is much happier with the Braves and it shows in his play. Then when Freeman is ready we can trade LaRoche for some help somewhere else. But it would be really nice to have a proven bat at 1B until Freeman is ready.

Sorry I have more confidence in Gonzalez than I do Soriano. Always have and always will. Another reason to keep Gonzo over Soriano is because we have Moylan. We can stick with that lefty-righty combo Bobby likes.

Because Rafael Furcal made the team out of spring training in 2000 after never playing higher than A ball because there was an opening for him. There will be an opening next year for Heyward. We probably would have seen him this year had he not gotten hurt.

Yep. Bobby never lets guys get complete games anymore. Last night Pedro threw 130 pitches and Bobby is on record of saying that if a pitcher is having an easy night he can throw 125 before getting tired.

They also wanted Hanson to work some more on his control of his breaking pitches.

Yes which is why I think the Braves could convince LaRoche to give a hometown discount for a 1 or 2 year contract. It's no accident he has put up monster numbers since we got him and it's no surprise while with Pittsburgh he came no where near those 2006 numbers. He is much happier with the Braves and it shows in his play. Then when Freeman is ready we can trade LaRoche for some help somewhere else. But it would be really nice to have a proven bat at 1B until Freeman is ready.

Yeah, I mentioned that in another post in this thread.

I understand what you are saying about the match-ups. Having more confidence in Gonzo is your opinion of course and my point is that the numbers do not lie. Soriano's numbers are better and he has blown fewer saves than Gonzo.

Soriano is 24 for 28 in save opportunities. That is 4 blown saves.

Gonzo is 10 for 17 in save opportunties. That is 7 blown saves.

No matter where your confidence lies....that tells the story right there. At that rate Gonzo blows a save every 2.5 save opportunities while Soriano blows a save every 7 opportunities. Don't even get me started on the control again either.

I understand what you are saying about the match-ups. Having more confidence in Gonzo is your opinion of course and my point is that the numbers do not lie. Soriano's numbers are better and he has blown fewer saves than Gonzo.

Soriano is 24 for 28 in save opportunities. That is 4 blown saves.

Gonzo is 10 for 17 in save opportunties. That is 7 blown saves.

No matter where your confidence lies....that tells the story right there. At that rate Gonzo blows a save every 2.5 save opportunities while Soriano blows a save every 7 opportunities. Don't even get me started on the control again either.

I never said anything about control. I just think over the course of their careers Gonzo is more proven than Soriano. Any no I'm not saying you have to feel the same way I do. Gonzo has given up 7 homeruns and has 84 strikeouts in 68 innings. Soriano has given up 5 homeruns and has 88 strikeouts in 66.1 innings. So those stats favor Soriano too. I'm not going by stats. Just going by the way I feel. I'm nevous when both are out there but more comfortable with Gonzo.

Gonzo in his career is 54 for 66.Gonzo has had a bad year but before this year he was 44 for 49 which is awesome. I think his year is just a fluke.

Soriano is 40 for 54.

I never said anything about control. I just think over the course of their careers Gonzo is more proven than Soriano. Any no I'm not saying you have to feel the same way I do. Gonzo has given up 7 homeruns and has 84 strikeouts in 68 innings. Soriano has given up 5 homeruns and has 88 strikeouts in 66.1 innings. So those stats favor Soriano too. I'm not going by stats. Just going by the way I feel. I'm nevous when both are out there but more comfortable with Gonzo.

Gonzo in his career is 54 for 66.Gonzo has had a bad year but before this year he was 44 for 49 which is awesome. I think his year is just a fluke.

Soriano is 40 for 54.

We definitely agree on feeling nervous about both of them being out there. I just wonder if Gonzo is going to ever get back to where he was before surgery.

We definitely agree on feeling nervous about both of them being out there. I just wonder if Gonzo is going to ever get back to where he was before surgery.

His control has actually improved since he had surgery but as far as constanding throwing 95 and 96 I don't think he'll ever be back to doing that every time out.

2004 - 31 walks in 50 innings

2005 - 31 walks in 54 innings

2009 - 31 walks in 68 innings.