Brian Williams - I e-mailed the Jaguars beat-writer about him

g-dawg

My Question:

Michael,

Thanks for responding – I’m not a Jags fan but I am an MJD fan and owner of him in my fantasy leagues. I’m from Atlanta and a Falcons fan – of course there are a lot of direct ties with Mike Smith, Ray Hamilton, Alvin Reynolds, Brian Van Gorder, etc.

BTW, Falcons just picked up corner/safety Brian Williams – what is your take on him? Does he have anything left and will he help the Falcons or was he just overdue to get cut because he was in decline.

Would love to get your take on that – please advise – thanks!

Jags Beatwriter's response:

BW is on the decline, but he isn't washed up. Also, you've got to think Smitty knows quite a bit about Brian Williams given their history together. I think Brian is still a very good player. I also think it was a mistake for the Jags to cut him. But I think it was more about economics than Brian's ability.

Michael C. Wright | Jaguars/NFL reporter | Florida Times-Union | One Riverside Ave., Jacksonville, Fla. 32231 |

My Question:

Michael,

Thanks for responding – I’m not a Jags fan but I am an MJD fan and owner of him in my fantasy leagues. I’m from Atlanta and a Falcons fan – of course there are a lot of direct ties with Mike Smith, Ray Hamilton, Alvin Reynolds, Brian Van Gorder, etc.

BTW, Falcons just picked up corner/safety Brian Williams – what is your take on him? Does he have anything left and will he help the Falcons or was he just overdue to get cut because he was in decline.

BW is on the decline, but he isn't washed up. Also, you've got to think Smitty knows quite a bit about Brian Williams given their history together. I think Brian is still a very good player. I also think it was a mistake for the Jags to cut him. But I think it was more about economics than Brian's ability.

Michael C. Wright | Jaguars/NFL reporter | Florida Times-Union | One Riverside Ave., Jacksonville, Fla. 32231 |

thanks, nice post

thanks, nice post

your welcome - this is about what I thought - a guy that is not as good as he used to be - but is still a decent player. Hopefully he will be an upgraded over Grimes/Houston - that is all we can really hope for? if he is an upgrade, then it was a good move.

your welcome - this is about what I thought - a guy that is not as good as he used to be - but is still a decent player. Hopefully he will be an upgraded over Grimes/Houston - that is all we can really hope for? if he is an upgrade, then it was a good move.

He is an upgrade. Even if he is in decline he should do better than either.

We have to sink money in this position next year.

Or a high pick depending on our cap situation.

Also possibly at WLB and DE. Peterson is old and Abe is gettin there.

Defense wins championships.

The only Lombardi winner without a regular season defense was the IND team and they led the league in defense throughout that playoff.

i hate that phrase. it's so false.

The only Lombardi winner without a regular season defense was the IND team and they led the league in defense throughout that playoff.

Let's see where we stand at the end of the '09 season before we say what we need to do. I agree, that at this point, those are needs...but you just never know. I'm hoping we come out of next years draft with Eric Berry, Brandon Spikes, Joe Haden....etc. Wishful thinking??

Let's see where we stand at the end of the '09 season before we say what we need to do. I agree, that at this point, those are needs...but you just never know. I'm hoping we come out of next years draft with Eric Berry, Brandon Spikes, Joe Haden....etc. Wishful thinking??

yes, that is wishful thinking - Berry is top 10 and maybe top 5. Spikes is top 20 so we could have a shot at him but isn't he more of a MLB - we are not drafting a MLB - I do like Spikes though if he can play WLB or SLB

My Question:

Michael,

Thanks for the post

I'm not in disagreement. Defense wins championships. But there were other Lombardi winners besides Indi that did it without a good defense. St. Louise's "Greatest Show on Turf" comes to mind.

yes, that is wishful thinking - Berry is top 10 and maybe top 5. Spikes is top 20 so we could have a shot at him but isn't he more of a MLB - we are not drafting a MLB - I do like Spikes though if he can play WLB or SLB

lol...yeah wishful thinking for sure. I'll be happy with Rennie Curran (go dawgs).

I'm not in disagreement. Defense wins championships. But there were other Lombardi winners besides Indi that did it without a good defense. St. Louise's "Greatest Show on Turf" comes to mind.

Cards came really close with a defense during the regular season that would have made ours this year look like the ravens

also a little early to be talking draft isn't it?

i hate that phrase. it's so false.
It's true bro. Seriously. No team has won the Lombardi without a good defense.

There have been many teams with inept offenses that won it, but not many, well not any, with an inept defense.

Every time I post this I get the same answers. "What about IND and STL? And ARI almost did it". :rolleyes: Well:

ARI - We're not talkin about almost. Plus that defense punked Ryan, Delhomme and McNabb

IND - Sorry during the regular season, but led the league in defense throughout the playoffs

STL - Clueless. Top 5 defense

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

There have been many teams with inept offenses that won it, but not many, well not any, with an inept defense.

Every time I post this I get the usual answers. What about IND and STL? And ARI almost did it. :rolleyes: Well:

ARI - We're not talkin about almost. Plus that defense punked Ryan, Delhomme and McNabb

IND - Sorry during the regular season, but led the league in defense throughout the playoffs

BUMP

Every time I post this I get the same answers. "What about IND and STL? And ARI almost did it". :rolleyes: Well:

STL Indy and Arizona also had something in common they all had unstoppable offenses. You don't think that defense benefited from the offense. The defense will play well when teams are playing from behind and they are able to pin their ears back and rush the passer. Also Arizona and Indy had really young defenses like we do