Dolphins considered QB Matt Ryan with the first pick

I thought one reason they didn't want to draft him was the economics. They didn't want to shell out the big bucks on an unproven in the NFL QB, which was a good point (look at Jamarcus Russell).

if they did a "draft do-over" today and the teams got to know what the rookie seasons looked like - I promise you the Dolphins would not take Jake Long over Matt Ryan - even though Jake is good.

Falcons lucked out........

if they did a "draft do-over" today and the teams got to know what the rookie seasons looked like - I promise you the Dolphins would not take Jake Long over Matt Ryan - even though Jake is good.

Falcons lucked out........

Nah, they both got what they needed. Although TD's picking Ryan and Baker >>>>>>>> Parcells picking Long and Henne, IMO.

when you have the #1 pick, you always look at the #1 QB at the draft. Not taking anything away from Ryan, but he wasnt the right pick FOR US at the time

the reason "Matt Ryan" was not the right pick for the Dolphins was simply because Bill Parcells did not believe Matty Ice was a franchise QB - in fairness, myself and 70% of this messageboard did not believe it either - obviously we all were wrong.

but I think you are kidding yourself, fin.......franchise signal callers are only in about every 3rd or 4th draft and unless you have a "top 3" pick - you generally don't get a shot to draft one. While its not proven yet, I truly believe that Matt Ryan has the potential to be in the Brady/Manning area code in the next two years - maybe you don't believe that - but if he ends up close to that - Fins will be kicking themselves for passing on Matty Ice. Heck, I think secretly they already are.

i don't care what the fins say. if they knew ryan would be as good as he is they would've taken him 1. parcells didn't believe he was this good and taking a qb with your first pick can set your franchise back 3-4 years. they could've easily drafted ryan and then traded up for baker like we did last year (i'm pretty sure they had 2 2's, not 100 though). they would've been set. jake long isn't any better than baker IMO, baker just had injury issues. clady should've gone to the pro bowl.

the reason "Matt Ryan" was not the right pick for the Dolphins was simply because Bill Parcells did not believe Matty Ice was a franchise QB - in fairness, myself and 70% of this messageboard did not believe it either - obviously we all were wrong.

but I think you are kidding yourself, fin.......franchise signal callers are only in about every 3rd or 4th draft and unless you have a "top 3" pick - you generally don't get a shot to draft one. While its not proven yet, I truly believe that Matt Ryan has the potential to be in the Brady/Manning area code in the next two years - maybe you don't believe that - but if he ends up close to that - Fins will be kicking themselves for passing on Matty Ice. Heck, I think secretly they already are.

I see what you mean. I think Ryan will be up there. I dont know if next to Brady or Manning, but the guy is definetely a great franchise QB. The thing is, that at the time, we had no OLine, Ronnie Brown was coming off an ACL injury, Ricky Williams hadnt played in like 4 years, we had Ginn as our only respectable WR at the time. So we would've put it out there, and the kid would've been traumatized. The kid would've quit football. That would've been a really bad football team, even with this Matt Ryan. And a QB at the top is really hit or miss. And if you miss, you're done. When you're rebuilding to the extent that we were, you cant take those chances. We built a line, both offensive and defensive. Then we developed some really nice WR's. Then we lucked out and got a great QB.

Now we built our secondary, which sucked last year being generous, we got a couple more WR's, and next year, we're getting a couple linebackers and a nose tackle. That is how you rebuild a team from scratch. You dont start with QB.

I see what you mean. I think Ryan will be up there. I dont know if next to Brady or Manning, but the guy is definetely a great franchise QB. The thing is, that at the time, we had no OLine, Ronnie Brown was coming off an ACL injury, Ricky Williams hadnt played in like 4 years, we had Ginn as our only respectable WR at the time. So we would've put it out there, and the kid would've been traumatized. The kid would've quit football. That would've been a really bad football team, even with this Matt Ryan. And a QB at the top is really hit or miss. And if you miss, you're done. When you're rebuilding to the extent that we were, you cant take those chances. We built a line, both offensive and defensive. Then we developed some really nice WR's. Then we lucked out and got a great QB.

Now we built our secondary, which sucked last year being generous, we got a couple more WR's, and next year, we're getting a couple linebackers and a nose tackle. That is how you rebuild a team from scratch. You dont start with QB.

What is the point of getting WR's if you dont have a QB, if you believe that a QB is going to be a franchise QB then you draft him and build around him, look at the Colts.