Matt Ryan rips the Wildcat, then tapdances a bit

FalconMama

Remember the scene in "This is Spinal Tap" where Bruno Kirby, playing the Sinatra-loving limo driver, opines to the boys in the band that rock and roll, in his not-so-humble opinion, is nothing more than a "fad"?

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan made me think of that classic scene with a simple five-word comment in this week's Sports Illustrated. In a roundtable interview with fellow young QBs Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer and Tony Romo, Ryan was asked by SI's Peter King if he thought "the college spread and the Wildcat [are] part of a revolution or just the normal evolution of the game?"

Palmer called it a "fad," saying he believed "you'll see it for eight more weeks, and once some defensive coordinator comes up with a way to stop it, a certain blitz to control it, offenses will get back to the stuff that's worked for decades."

Ryan, up next, chimed in with: "I think it's a fad."

Considering the Falcons open their season with the Miami Dolphins, the world's leading practioners of the Wildcat and probably the leading reason for it's rapid spread, this could be viewed as a risky comment.

When I asked Ryan about the interview this morning on a weekly conference call with South Florida writers, he dutifully answered but he wasn't too thrilled about it.

"The way in which I said it was, 'Do you think the Wildcat will take over and become permanent offenses?' and I just don’t think it will," Ryan said. "I think regular offenses will still be out there. Not to say Miami hasn’t done a great job with it.

"They did an exceptional job last year and it’s going to be tough for our defense to deal with that this week. Those were just some of the comments that I made. I certainly think Miami did a great job with it last year and had a ton of success and I really think won some games as a result of using that formation and those plays."

What about the Falcons defense? Have any of those guys come up and jokingly "thanked" Ryan for throwing out the F-word in advance of Sunday's game?

"Nothing really," Ryan said. "I don’t think there is a lot made of it.

The comments are certainly not directed at Miami. Nobody really said much about it."

Not yet.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_footb...nces-a-bit.html

Can anyone show me where he "rips" the Wildcat?

Looks like Mike Berardino is trying to create some bulletin board material.

They did well with it but not great. They didn't get too deep into the playoffs with it.

I know as soon as I see Ryan lining up as a WR I don't think our franchise needs him to get hammered by a FS.

This will be the last year you see the wildcat as a main formation. It will reappear every now and then but even as the season wore on last year teams figured it out.

They did well with it but not great. They didn't get too deep into the playoffs with it.

I know as soon as I see Ryan lining up as a WR I don't think our franchise needs him to get hammered by a FS.

This will be the last year you see the wildcat as a main formation. It will reappear every now and then but even as the season wore on last year teams figured it out.

Yeah, I'm suprised more teams don't use it as an opportunity to knock out the QB... it's a free shot.

The Wildcat is at best a few plays in a game.

If a team comes out running nothing BUT the Wildcat... it would never work.

That's the biggest thing about the wildcat... suprise.

It's not even a surprise most times, especially if you learn to recognize the personnel setups on the field.

Like I've said before, just know your defensive assignments and knock the crap outta them is the best way to stop the Wildcat.

That's the biggest thing about the wildcat... suprise.

Surprise is only important if the one taking the snap is not a real QB. If you have a real QB who can take Wildcat snaps, like Miami and Phillie both do, then it's not important at all and the best counter (bringing one or two safeties into the box) is nullified. That is, unless you like the smell of burned toast?

No, it's not. Leaving aside the fact that you can't hit a QB if they aren't involved in a play, it's an automatic 15 yards anyway for unnecessary roughness. Learn the rules before you opine on something, please.

If the QB is out as a WR or throwing a block out of the RB position, he's fair game.

No, it's not. Leaving aside the fact that you can't hit a QB if they aren't involved in a play, it's an automatic 15 yards anyway for unnecessary roughness. Learn the rules before you opine on something, please.

BuddyBall - Take the 15 yards if you can knock him out of the game, especially early.

If the D can recognize the Wildcat and line up properly, it's effectiveness can largely be diminished. It's like others have said, it's catching it in time. With the Dolphins, Pennington, Brown and Williams will all be in the huddle together, but we won't know if they're lining up in an I-back set, single back set, or Wildcat until someone steps behind the center. That is the problem, the D must make a split second adjustment. If Pat White is on the field, the Dolphins will be tipping their hand much more; however, I can see them putting White on the field multiple snaps as a distraction and running a regular fomation to keep defenses guessing.

If they are lined up as a WR, then they aren't a QB.

Formations don't dictate position. In the Wildcat formation, at least the base formation, the QB is indeed split out wide. Theoretically, Jake Long could run a route from where he's lined up, because he's uncovered and checks in as an eligible receiver. Doesn't make him a TE, he's still a tackle.

BuddyBall - Take the 15 yards if you can knock him out of the game, especially early.

Leaving aside the fact that Buddy Ryan is a complete scumbag as a coach and human being, you have a point in general. Most teams don't have anybody behind the starting QB that can carry the torch as effectively. Against Miami? Congratulations, you've just bought yourself a one way ticket to a wide open spread attack you aren't prepared for because Pat White and/or Chad Henne have a bigger gun and better wheels than Pennington does.

Not real smart in general and especially not for Atlanta, whose defense in general (and pass defense especially) hasn't looked all that hot thus far.

Leaving aside the fact that Buddy Ryan is a complete scumbag as a coach and human being, you have a point in general. Most teams don't have anybody behind the starting QB that can carry the torch as effectively. Against Miami? Congratulations, you've just bought yourself a one way ticket to a wide open spread attack you aren't prepared for because Pat White and/or Chad Henne have a bigger gun and better wheels than Pennington does.

Not real smart in general and especially not for Atlanta, whose defense in general (and pass defense especially) hasn't looked all that hot thus far.

If Pat White started the game, the Falcons would shut out the Dolphins. He is nowhere near ready.

BS. In the Wildcat, the primary motion is an attempt to run the ball. If the QB makes a motion as if he's going to block for it, he's in play.

Yes, but Pennington almost never does. And who's going to do it, anyway? A corner? Get real, I've seen Pennington level 250 pound outside linebackers, so I wish any corner that tries it good luck and a happy time in the ice bath after the game.

I know the rules.

What you don't realize is that we ran versions of the 'Wildcat' when Vick was the starting QB.... so we're more familiar with the rules about hitting the QB if he's lined up as a WR.

For example we actually ran ONE play where Vick lined up as a WR and threw it in his direction.... we only ran it once because he can't catch and took a HUGE hit on the play.

And we also learned that gimmick plays like the Wildcat will work for only so long before defenses think of new ways to shut it down.

If Pat White started the game, the Falcons would shut out the Dolphins. He is nowhere near ready.

Oh? And how is it you know how ready Pat White is or isn't? He looked fine to me during pre-season and if we're taking pre-season as a serious indicator of readiness then I'm more worried about your defense being humiliated by Ginn, Camarillo, and Bess than I am about Pat White having a poor showing.

I'm waiting for the return of the run and shoot!

That was a great offense. It allowed a team to set records like having 4 guys gain 1000 yards from scrimmage. Important records like that which indicates a dominant offense.

Oh wait...the Falcons finished 11th in the league in points that year and 10th in yards. Nevermind.