Let's Talk About Chris Houston

bozoatl

I don't intend for this to be a Houston bashing thread. Just a couple of legitimate questions and/or observations.

I know a lot of people have said that CH gets good pass coverage position, but then fails to turn his head to find the ball. Others say he just flat out gets burned too often. Whatever your take, he obviously has not developed into the CB we hoped for on Draft Day - at least not yet.

I was thinking of when D.Hall manned up against T.O. a couple of years ago. Owens had some catches and some yards, but NO TD's. Hall actually played T.O. very physically in that game. He was bumping him off the LOS, and keeping Owens from getting separation or getting into a rhythm. I don't understand why CH isn't that type of player. Here's what I tend to think: Houston is scary strong. I don't remember his stats, but he pressed a lot of weight coming out of college. Seems to me he could, and maybe should start giving receivers a good tap instead of giving them an 8 yard cushion. Instead of playing to his speed, maybe he should play to his strength - which is: his strength.

Think that would make a difference? Or are most of you just ready to feed him to the wolves??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't intend for this to be a Houston bashing thread. Just a couple of legitimate questions and/or observations.

I know a lot of people have said that CH gets good pass coverage position, but then fails to turn his head to find the ball. Others say he just flat out gets burned too often. Whatever your take, he obviously has not developed into the CB we hoped for on Draft Day - at least not yet.

I was thinking of when D.Hall manned up against T.O. a couple of years ago. Owens had some catches and some yards, but NO TD's. Hall actually played T.O. very physically in that game. He was bumping him off the LOS, and keeping Owens from getting separation or getting into a rhythm. I don't understand why CH isn't that type of player. Here's what I tend to think: Houston is scary strong. I don't remember his stats, but he pressed a lot of weight coming out of college. Seems to me he could, and maybe should start giving receivers a good tap instead of giving them an 8 yard cushion. Instead of playing to his speed, maybe he should play to his strength - which is: his strength.

Think that would make a difference? Or are most of you just ready to feed him to the wolves??

this is probably the reason we got a veteran CB that plays more with his strength than his speed. he has the talent to press people at the line, Dwayne Bowe isn't a slouch and he played a PERFECT game against him. i think it's him not quite being comfortable in the NFL yet for whatever reason. because Dwayne Bowe is someone he's always been able to play well since college. he was comfortable with that opponent, and successfully played him in that game. maybe he doesn't study his opponents enough, i don't know. all i do know is, he has the ability

Houston gave up 3 touchdowns last year. How does that not make him that type of player? A lot of what people say about him comes down people seeing him making one bad play, or playing soft on a few plays and think thats what he is always like. You watch any cornerback and they'll get beat at times and play soft at others. That's a scheme thing.

He's nowhere near as bad as this messageboard would make out. Its just easier to look at the bad plays of a cornerback and think he's garbage than to look at a whole volume of work

DB's come in two categories.

Killers and Assassins.

#23 is neither of these, at least not as of "yet".

Feed his azz Sharks Blood and mix in some gun powder and

assign him to Harvey Dahl for accountability.

Until he acquires a taste for blood he will (hmm how should I phrase this)

pretty much S U C K .

Houston gave up 3 touchdowns last year. How does that not make him that type of player? A lot of what people say about him comes down people seeing him making one bad play, or playing soft on a few plays and think thats what he is always like. You watch any cornerback and they'll get beat at times and play soft at others. That's a scheme thing.

He's nowhere near as bad as this messageboard would make out. Its just easier to look at the bad plays of a cornerback and think he's garbage than to look at a whole volume of work

It's not fair to compare him to DLO. Chris is the kind of cb that will occasionally let a WR catch 5 fifteen yard passes in a row, whereas DLO would save time and effort by just letting the reciever smoke him for a 75 yard TD and be done with it.

DLO was much more efficient like that, it's really not fair to compare the two.

...I know a lot of people have said that CH gets good pass coverage position, but then fails to turn his head to find the ball. Others say he just flat out gets burned too often...
It's been a little bit of both. Never seen a team in a Bowl with a corner like that. Ever.
Houston is scary strong. I don't remember his stats, but he pressed a lot of weight coming out of college.
Problem is this is the NFL, not the World Weightlifting Federation.
Seems to me he could, and maybe should start giving receivers a good tap instead of giving them an 8 yard cushion. Instead of playing to his speed, maybe he should play to his strength - which is: his strength.
I'm sure the 8 yard cushions are ordered up by Smitty and BVG who still can't trust him.
If he doesn't open a can in the first couple games he will become a nickel, dime or worse.

It's been a little bit of both. Never seen a team in a Bowl with a corner like that. Ever.

The Cardinals gave up more TD passes than any team in 25 years last year and they made the Super Bowl, and thier starting left corner from that game is unemployed right now. Just saying.

Deangelo Hall's play against TO is one of the more impressive performance's I've seen from a CB in years. He completely took him out of the game. I would love for Houston to be able to perform like that. He has the tools, it's all up to him.

If by "completely took him out of the game" you mean he gave up 7 catches for 112 yards, I guess you are right.

being physical is he strength. he was about to be benched for Foxworth last year for not being physical enough then he turned it up and owned Dwayne Bowe and ended up getting pick 6 because of that. He kept his starting spot because of that.

In college Houston owned the best WR's in the counrty that was alot bigger than him because he manhandeled them at the line of scrimmage. Houston's arms are huge and Jamaal once said that Houston benches over 400 pounds. being physical is what made him successful against the Dwayne Jarretts and Dwayne Bowe's in college.

and on a personal note I HATE seeing retreating CB's before the ball is snapped, GET UP ON YOUR MAN DAMIT!!!!

Deangelo Hall's play against TO is one of the more impressive performance's I've seen from a CB in years. He completely took him out of the game. I would love for Houston to be able to perform like that. He has the tools, it's all up to him.

The best thing D. Hall ever did in that game was to take that Iggles helmet and spike it into the turf. :lol:

actually T.O. did score on a long ball in the GA Dome against Hall. I remember......it was 38-28 Dallas....i'll look for a video link

If by "completely took him out of the game" you mean he gave up 7 catches for 112 yards, I guess you are right.

barely any of those yards came against Hall and if u looked at how many times McNabb threw at him versus how many catches he got u wouldn't make that statement. He couldn't get anything against Hall so,like a smart coach would do, he was moved to the slot to get some more opportunities to get the ball.

the same thing happened last year. Houston shut down Bowe so they moved him to Grime's side and like every other game Brent started he gave up a TD

The Cardinals gave up more TD passes than any team in 25 years last year and they made the Super Bowl, and thier starting left corner from that game is unemployed right now. Just saying.
The Cardinals defense showed in the playoffs. Couldn't play enough defense to win it all though. The only team to win a Bowl with a sub par regular season defense was the IND team and they led the league in defense during the playoffs and carried Manning to a Bowl. Keep thinking we're gonna shoot our way to a Lombardi. Didn't NO try that last year? So have many other teams. Trust me.

the games where he's played physical he's done pretty good (vs CAR '07, vs KC '08), it's just that we don't see that very much. he doesn't give up a lot of TDs (i think only 2 last year) but he gives up long *** third downs and just other stupid catches because he plays so far off all the time. i think that's one of the reasons our corners suck so bad. they give the WRs ******* 10 yds every play.

The Cardinals defense showed in the playoffs. Couldn't play enough defense to win it all though. The only team to win a Bowl with a sub par regular season defense was the IND team and they led the league in defense during the playoffs and carried Manning to a Bowl. Keep thinking we're gonna shoot our way to a Lombardi. Didn't NO try that last year? So have many other teams. Trust me.

No, you're right, the Falcons D is going to have to show in the playoffs. I do think the Falcons offense will be good enough to get them to the playoffs without the D being great, but they are going to need to mature by the time the playoffs start. I think they will.