Chris McAllister-free agent CB

g-dawg

According to Brad Biggs, free agent CB Chris McAlister (knee) is two weeks away from being fully ready.

The 32-year-old missed the final 10 games of last season due to knee surgery and is just finishing up his rehab. Expect him to have some workouts soon, but McAlister isn't going to help anyone. He can't run anymore. Aug. 14 - 10:25 am et

I think the Falcons are probably "done" at the cornerback position for 2009. Hopefully we have enough guys and Houston/Grimes improve. It does not really sound like McAllister is a good option at this point in his career. In his prime, McAllister was awesome but at 32 years old and coming off a knee injury - more than likely this guy is probably done or - at best - nowhere close to what he was an a back-up type player in decline.

I think the Falcons will be "OK" at the corner spot for 2009 provided Abraham is Abraham and he turns in a year like last year and Falcons have some other folks step up in the pass rush dept. (Bierrman, Sidbury, Chauncey). Between Tye Hill and Brian Williams, probably at least one of those guys steps up and I think the same with Houston/Grimes - one of the two will step up. Chris Owens could develop by 2nd half of the season into being a nickel corner and hopefully could vye for starter position in 2010.

Targets for 2010: free agent linebacker and draft a corner in the first round.

According to Brad Biggs, free agent CB Chris McAlister (knee) is two weeks away from being fully ready.

The 32-year-old missed the final 10 games of last season due to knee surgery and is just finishing up his rehab. Expect him to have some workouts soon, but McAlister isn't going to help anyone. He can't run anymore. Aug. 14 - 10:25 am et

I think the Falcons are probably "done" at the cornerback position for 2009. Hopefully we have enough guys and Houston/Grimes improve. It does not really sound like McAllister is a good option at this point in his career. In his prime, McAllister was awesome but at 32 years old and coming off a knee injury - more than likely this guy is probably done or - at best - nowhere close to what he was an a back-up type player in decline.

I think the Falcons will be "OK" at the corner spot for 2009 provided Abraham is Abraham and he turns in a year like last year and Falcons have some other folks step up in the pass rush dept. (Bierrman, Sidbury, Chauncey). Between Tye Hill and Brian Williams, probably at least one of those guys steps up and I think the same with Houston/Grimes - one of the two will step up. Chris Owens could develop by 2nd half of the season into being a nickel corner and hopefully could vye for starter position in 2010.

Are there any corners coming out in 2010 thats worth a 1st round pick? This is just my opinion, but to draft a corner in the first the guy has to be an absolute freak of nature at the position. What I mean is, I wouldn't take a CB in the first round unless he shuts down half the field, and then he'd have had to have done it for more than 1 year in college. I havn't been keeping up with the ncaa as much as I should.

Are there any corners coming out in 2010 thats worth a 1st round pick? This is just my opinion, but to draft a corner in the first the guy has to be an absolute freak of nature at the position. What I mean is, I wouldn't take a CB in the first round unless he shuts down half the field, and then he'd have had to have done it for more than 1 year in college. I havn't been keeping up with the ncaa as much as I should.

my sig. Patrick Robinson from fsu.

Why do you feel like we need a Free agent LB, and who would he replace, I expect the Falcons to find a young drafted LB to replace Peterson(hopefully it is Adkins)

Why do you feel like we need a Free agent LB, and who would he replace, I expect the Falcons to find a young drafted LB to replace Peterson(hopefully it is Adkins)

because I really believe that Mike Peterson does not have a lot left in the tank........I am hopeful that Stephen Nicholas will be a player but there is not a lot of evidence just yet.

Falcons really need an impact linebacker at an outside position and they just don't have it yet. Falcons really need an impact defensive end opposite Abraham and for the future but they have two good prospects in Bierrman/Sidbury so I am willing to wait to fill that position because of those two guys.

Falcons also need an impact cornerback and now we just don't have one.

As far as the draft goes, right now the Falcons have 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th round picks - so we start the 2010 draft down two picks. We probably will add a 4th and 6th round pick because of free agent losses - some are predicting getting three 3rds - but they are high!!!

because I really believe that Mike Peterson does not have a lot left in the tank........I am hopeful that Stephen Nicholas will be a player but there is not a lot of evidence just yet.

Falcons really need an impact linebacker at an outside position and they just don't have it yet. Falcons really need an impact defensive end opposite Abraham and for the future but they have two good prospects in Bierrman/Sidbury so I am willing to wait to fill that position because of those two guys.

Falcons also need an impact cornerback and now we just don't have one.

I know that I am not the all knowing football God, but Nicholas has been doing what he has been asked to do and was actually performing his job pretty well during the preaseason which should help his confidence and increase the chances of him having success in the regular season. I think that Nicholas is a great option for us at the SLB spot and is only going to get better. IMO the most important is the LB that are playing passing downs, Adkins has the speed to cover RB, TE and is a great size at 250lbs. He is a wildcard as i stated but I think he is a good wildcard based on the time i did see him on the field and the fact that he was picked to play on the 53 man roster over a player like Winborn who is a seasoned vet that would have been good depth.

I will wait on CB but we may need a impact CB. Just because a player is not taken in the 1st round doesnt mean he cant be an impact player.

I know that I am not the all knowing football God, but Nicholas has been doing what he has been asked to do and was actually performing his job pretty well during the preaseason which should help his confidence and increase the chances of him having success in the regular season. I think that Nicholas is a great option for us at the SLB spot and is only going to get better. IMO the most important is the LB that are playing passing downs, Adkins has the speed to cover RB, TE and is a great size at 250lbs. He is a wildcard as i stated but I think he is a good wildcard based on the time i did see him on the field and the fact that he was picked to play on the 53 man roster over a player like Winborn who is a seasoned vet that would have been good depth.

I will wait on CB but we may need a impact CB. Just because a player is not taken in the 1st round doesnt mean he cant be an impact player.

Again, you are making "projections" right now on the best-case scenario for both Nicholas and Adkins - I like both players as well - but the reason we "like" them and don't "love" them is because they are not battle-tested and they have not succeeded at a high level yet - maybe they will - but as of right now, they are unproven and until they are proven will be judged as a weakness. Adkins, for all his potential, was not even a starter at the University of Miami his senior year - for cryin' out loud. Obviously Falcons like him or they would not have kept him - but again, he is unproven. Mike Peterson is a "stop gap" at best. I just hope this guy can play at a high level - again, not a lot of confidence there for this year.

Clearly, Cornerback and Linebacker are two of the Falcons biggest concerns - to say otherwise is looking through "rose-colored glasses". Maybe Nicholas pans out - I actually think he will. I have very little confidence in any of our corners now - i do think somebody will emerge but would not bet on any of them individually just yet.

If Falcons are going to be on the same level with the Pittsburgh Steelers and NY Giants of the world, we need more playmakers on defense. Not just "adequate" players - yes Falcons offense is more prolific than both Steelers/Giants but our defense is not even in the same hemisphere.

Again, you are making "projections" right now on the best-case scenario for both Nicholas and Adkins - I like both players as well - but the reason we "like" them and don't "love" them is because they are not battle-tested and they have not succeeded at a high level yet - maybe they will - but as of right now, they are unproven and until they are proven will be judged as a weakness. Adkins, for all his potential, was not even a starter at the University of Miami his senior year - for cryin' out loud. Obviously Falcons like him or they would not have kept him - but again, he is unproven. Mike Peterson is a "stop gap" at best. I just hope this guy can play at a high level - again, not a lot of confidence there for this year.

Clearly, Cornerback and Linebacker are two of the Falcons biggest concerns - to say otherwise is looking through "rose-colored glasses". Maybe Nicholas pans out - I actually think he will. I have very little confidence in any of our corners now - i do think somebody will emerge but would not bet on any of them individually just yet.

If Falcons are going to be on the same level with the Pittsburgh Steelers and NY Giants of the world, we need more playmakers on defense. Not just "adequate" players - yes Falcons offense is more prolific than both Steelers/Giants but our defense is not even in the same hemisphere.

OK not looking through rose colored glasses i just know what i see on the field. YOu look at things different then i do. I have not seen Nicholas fail yet this preaseason in a major way so until he does he gets a solid in my book. I agree that Peterson is a stop gap and there is some concern in the secondary, you just like to expect the worst and hope for the best. I expect the best and hope for the best if it doesnt work out then we just find a solution that does.

OK not looking through rose colored glasses i just know what i see on the field. YOu look at things different then i do. I have not seen Nicholas fail yet this preaseason in a major way so until he does he gets a solid in my book. I agree that Peterson is a stop gap and there is some concern in the secondary, you just like to expect the worst and hope for the best. I expect the best and hope for the best if it doesnt work out then we just find a solution that does.

fair enough......

bump

There is a reason no one has even brought McAllister in for a visit. His knees and career are most likely done for. I wish him the best, and hope he can come back somewhere and play at a similar level to his pre-injury days.

Unless we trade someone, I don't see us adding anymore CB's this year. Owens will be developed, Houston will be given a shot to redeem himself, or he will be allowed to walk in FA when his rookie contract expires. Jackson will stick around in a nickel role. I think Hill will be starting opposite Houston by Week 6, and Williams will get plenty of snaps at CB and S, probably starting in week 1. I know the coaches love Grimes, but unless he outplays these other guys he may go back to the bench as well. I hope they all find their niche in our defense. I'm excited about Hill especially. I think Houston will make a turn around during the season.

I really doubt we draft a corner in the 1st round. Its starting to get crowded in that secondary: Houston, Grimes, Hill, Jackson, Williams, Owens. Everyone but Williams has no more than 4 years of experience. I would suspect we let some of these younger players develop before we go out and draft a guy in the 1st

bump

OLB/OT/S