So, Who Sits This One Out?

We've cut it down from preseason #s to the 53. We even have tweeked that a bit. So now how do we widdle it down to a game day count of 45 active? So, who is going to have to sit out?

I'm really wondering about the D: D-line, LBs, & secondary.

But the same questions for me come up with the O: WRs & RBs?

With the D-line, I like the idea of rotation, but can we Really activate ALL 9? Will it be 8, or just 7? With the LBs, who winds up odd-man-out? With the DBs, I'm not sure who suits up, or who winds up looking from the sideline in shorts?

I have no answers at this point, but I'd like to hear what others think. I will thow my thoughts in by Friday. Its kinda NICE to have Choices though. Don't think we've always had these kinda options. B)

I don't think any of th the D linemen will be inactive, but if there was one left off I would guess it would be Sidbury. Some guys that might be inactive most weeks:

Keith Zinger

Garrett Reynolds

Jason Snelling

1 cornerback - take your pick

John Parker Wilson (emergency QB)

William Moore (until he is healthy)

Verron Haynes

I don't think any of th the D linemen will be inactive, but if there was one left off I would guess it would be Sidbury. Some guys that might be inactive most weeks:

Keith Zinger

Garrett Reynolds

Jason Snelling

Verron Haynes

take out haynes or snelling one will be active. add a lb to that list.

1)JPW - QB

2)Moore - DB(injury)

3)Zinger - TE....Peelle is used in every package and formation, Zinger is not

4)Haynes

5)Reynolds...only need 1 backup tackle

6)Sid...still too raw, but will be called up as the season progresses

7)Adkins...still too raw, Gilbert and Wire can play all LB positions and spec teams

8)Tye Hill....will have to spend some time on the practice field first, Williams has the edge as the first vet to be called up, and Owens needs spec teams time

1)JPW - QB

2)Moore - DB(injury)

4)Haynes

7)Adkins...still too raw, Gilbert and Wire can play all LB positions and spec teams

8)Tye Hill....will have to spend some time on the practice field first, Williams has the edge as the first vet to be called up, and Owens needs spec teams time

LB Tony Gilbert was inactive in all the Falcons games last season. I think the Falcons want to develop Adkins into a special teams ace. Therefore, I think Adkins will be on the active game-day roster, and Gilbert will not be.

Technically the 3rd string QB can suit-up for game day, and thus a team can actually carry 46 players on game day. However, the 3rd string QB can not play, unless there are injuries to the first and second string QBs during the game.

out:

John Parker Wilson, QB

William Moore, SS

Tye Hill, CB

Garrett Reynolds, OT

Tony Gilbert, MLB

Keith Zinger, TE

Thomas Johnson, DT

Verron Haynes, FB

What he said, only CB Owens could find himself inactive if he doesn't make himself useful on special teams. He is not ready to play as a CB, don't get me wrong- he does have great potential. I would like to see Ojinakka inactive but unfortunately I don't think anyone other than Romberg has been prepped to be a back up OG. It's a shame Johnson would be the odd man out of the DT rotation. He's worked hard to earn a spot on the team and would contribute if active-- while some of the guys who make the active roster will be there solely as back ups/special teams bodies.

My Week 1 guess for out:

John Parker Wilson, QB

William Moore, SS

Tye Hill, CB

Brian Williams, CB

Garrett Reynolds, OT

Tony Gilbert, MLB

Keith Zinger, TE

Verron Haynes, FB

This is week 1. Depending on readiness and if he is used on special teams (not sure) you could swap Chris Owens and Brian Williams. I think the 2 new FA acquisitions are not ready to go in a game as backup cornerbacks, and I do not think we brought them in to play special teams either, so they can be inactive while they are learning the schemes. Owens might play poorly as a rookie if forced in due to injury, but he's been through all of camp to learn our schemes.

I think we keep all our DE/DT guys active for rotations including Johnson. And we have Wire and Adkins for LB backups and special teams play, and Ojin and Romberg for lineman backups. Game day rosters are just crazy. Really shows you if a team gets 2 injuries at a position how it can devestate them during that game.

LB Tony Gilbert was inactive in all the Falcons games last season. I think the Falcons want to develop Adkins into a special teams ace. Therefore, I think Adkins will be on the active game-day roster, and Gilbert will not be.

Our LB's last year were...

Boley, Brooking, Lofton

Wire, Nicholas, Gilbert

Gilbert didnt play b/c Nicholas and Wire were both spec teams guys and had real game experience.

I dont believe Adkins makes the call up just yet, because if something were to go down, your backups are Wire and Adkins.

I, personally, dont want him anywhere near the defensive side of the ball just yet.

I think some 3rd teamers make it over first teamers based on special teams.

Examples:

Spencer Adkins over Tony Gilbert

Keith Zinger over Justin Peele

Eric Weems over Marty Booker

My 8 picks for Falcon Inactives:

1. John Parker Wilson-QB - third string QB won't see the field this year - God help us if he does.

2. Marty Booker-WR - wonderful back-up WR but he sits due to Weems being #5 WR and KR/PR and Finneran being the #3.

3. Garrett Reynolds-OT - still developing and cannot play LT- Svitek backs up both tackle spots

4. Quinn Ojinaaka-OG - Romberg can back-up Center and Guard positon

5. Justin Peele-TE - he is the pass-catching backup TE behind Tony Gonzalez - 'nuff said. Zinger can block better and play ST.

6. William Moore-SS - injured

7. Tye Hill-CB - simply not ready yet - he may sit the first two weeks similiar to Foxworth last year

8. Tony Gilbert-MLB - now that Lofton is a 3-down backer and Adkins/Wire are better special teamers - this makes sense.

out:

John Parker Wilson, QB

William Moore, SS

Tye Hill, CB

Garrett Reynolds, OT

Tony Gilbert, MLB

Keith Zinger, TE

Thomas Johnson, DT

Verron Haynes, FB

my list is similiar except for the last two. Mike Smith continually talks of a "rotation" for the defensive tackles. Well we only have 4 defensive tackles on the active roster - to do a proper rotation you really need four guys.....so, I think Thomas Johnson make the 45 man active roster for that reason.

Verron Haynes made the team for two reasons: 1) Dimitroff wanted a real back-up FB to Mughelli and 2) Haynes is very good on special teams......Haynes makes the active roster for those two reasons.

We are talking about 8 inactives. Ok let me take a stab:

1. JP Wilson QB

2. DE L Sidbury

3. CB T Hill

4. OT G Reynolds

5. RB J Snelling

6. SS W Moore

7. OL Q Ojinnaka

8. TE J Peele

That is a really good post! It is harder than you think.

Snelling is noted for s/t play trade for - Haynes

qjinnaka most ex. next Blom trade for- Owens don't think he would play over Jackson or Williams

and we don't have the depth at LB to sit Gilbert

ya this is hard...I dont know why the NFL even implemented this stupid rule

lets see.

2 OL most likely,

1 DL

1 S

1 CB

1 LB

1 HB/ 1WR

1 QB

so my guess for week 1 would me

QB JPW

RB Verron Haynes

LB Tony Gilbert

CB Tye Hill

S William Moore

DL Lawrence Sidbury

OL Garett Reynolds

OL Will Svitek

we might keep one of the guys above active and deactivate Williams depending on how he does in practice

Keith Zinger

Garrett Reynolds

Jason Snelling

Verron Haynes

Snelling will be active and so would Zinger.

We are talking about 8 inactives. Ok let me take a stab:

1. JP Wilson QB

2. DE L Sidbury

3. CB T Hill

4. OT G Reynolds

5. RB J Snelling

6. SS W Moore

7. OL Q Ojinnaka

8. TE J Peele

That is a really good post! It is harder than you think.

Ojinnaka plays guard and tackle, Reynolds would be out

out:

John Parker Wilson, QB

William Moore, SS

Tye Hill, CB

Garrett Reynolds, OT

Tony Gilbert, MLB

Keith Zinger, TE

Thomas Johnson, DT

Verron Haynes, FB

The only d-lineman to possible go inactive at anytime during the season would be Sidbury. With Hayes and Snelling out that on leaves 3 RBs for the game, Snelling will be active.

I think some 3rd teamers make it over first teamers based on special teams.

Examples:

Spencer Adkins over Tony Gilbert

Keith Zinger over Justin Peele

Eric Weems over Marty Booker

My 8 picks for Falcon Inactives:

1. John Parker Wilson-QB - third string QB won't see the field this year - God help us if he does.

2. Marty Booker-WR - wonderful back-up WR but he sits due to Weems being #5 WR and KR/PR and Finneran being the #3.

3. Garrett Reynolds-OT - still developing and cannot play LT- Svitek backs up both tackle spots

4. Quinn Ojinaaka-OG - Romberg can back-up Center and Guard positon

5. Justin Peele-TE - he is the pass-catching backup TE behind Tony Gonzalez - 'nuff said. Zinger can block better and play ST.

6. William Moore-SS - injured

7. Tye Hill-CB - simply not ready yet - he may sit the first two weeks similiar to Foxworth last year

8. Tony Gilbert-MLB - now that Lofton is a 3-down backer and Adkins/Wire are better special teamers - this makes sense.

we only have 5 WRs all will be active.

My list would be:

Reynols OT

Wilson QB

Hayes RB

Gilbert LB

Hill DB

Moore DB

Jackson DB

Sidbury DE

after the 1st game it depends on injuries, if no injuries I can see Owens replacing Moore and maybe Svitek OT and keep an extra DB with Zinger also a possibility if the lineman is needed. It will roate between these players all year except for Moore and Hill barring injury.

Keith Zinger

Garrett Reynolds

Jason Snelling

Verron Haynes

Tye hill

sounds bout right to me......i dont think BW will play but will suit up if needed. UNLESS the term and playbooks is that similar.......i mean he has practiced.

1)JPW - QB

2)Moore - DB(injury)

4)Haynes

I like your list with a few modifications.

1. Owens-DB

2. Moore-DB (injury)

3. Zinger-TE

4. Haynes (Snelling can be used as a FB in a pinch).

5. Reynolds

6. Adkins

7. Ojinnaka

8. Sidbury (Maybe) or it could be JPW-QB or Tony Gilbert-LB