Coming Down to ATL for Opener from MN

MinnyFalcon

Hello to all. I have been keeping up with the boards but haven't posted since last season. I'll leave you with some thoughts on the upcoming season later, but first I need your help. I have been a Falcon fan my entire life, but have lived in the Midwest the whole time. Long story from a previous post. I have been in Minneapolis since 1998 and have seen the Falcons nearly every time they have been within driving distance. Last year I saw them beat GB in Lambeau (awesome place to watch a game if you can ever get there) and beat the Vikes at Metrodome (hope they implode it as soon as possible). I saw a couple of games when I was younger at Fulton County, but have never been to Georgia Dome for one reason or another. I was able to score some tix for this Sunday's game through work and will be flying down this weekend. Needless to say I am almost as excited for this game as I am for the upcoming season. I know most of you will agree with me that there has seldom (if ever) been this much optimism heading into a Falcons season. Anyway, I'll be in ATL from Saturday through Monday and need some advice on where are some good places to eat (and especially drink) that are in the vicinity of the Georgia Dome? I don't mind cabbing around for short distances and would really like to make this weekend as awesome as possible so any help you can provide is much appreciated. Please try to keep the responses positive (I've been noticing a little TOO much negativity around the boards lately) and you can bet I'll return the favor if you ever make your way to the Twin Cities. ****, I'll even buy you a beer, but let's hope that if the Falcons and Vikings meet again this season it is in Atlanta--in the playoffs. Now some parting thoughts on 2009:

1. The schedule is tough on paper, but strength of schedule is based on last year's record and many of those teams aren't going to be as good as they were (granted a few may improve). Let's see our team on the field before we start mailing it in. Barring significant injury, I not only see us breaking "the curse," but bettering last year's performance. I am willing to give the leadership on this team the benefit of the doubt. Who among us really thought 11-5 and playoffs was realistic heading into last season?

2. This team is strong in the trenches and championship teams are always built this way. Our offensive line is nasty for a bunch of guys that few people could pick out of a lineup. They run block extremely well and kept Ryan's jersey clean most of last season (no dome jokes, you know what I mean). I am liking the D-Line more than I thought I would and I don't think the preseason play is indicative of what we will see come game time. Teams tend to scheme less as a unit and are more interested in evaluating individual talent/learning curve/work ethic in the preseason.

3. Offense will score points. There are simply too many options for Ryan who will NOT suffer the sophomore slump. How do you scheme against our offense? If you bring the extra man into the box to gang up on Turner, look out. If you don't and you try to take a receiver or two out of the play...I really don't think that is sound strategy either. Ryan is too quick through his progressions and can make all of the throws. A future HOF tight end dosen't hurt at all. If the Falcons minimize procedural mistakes and hold onto the football, that to me spells ball control, and probably a significant time of possession advantage. This keeps our young defense on the field less.

4. Whether or not you agree with the changes on defense, I think that the clairvoyance that Dimitroff and Co. showed transforming the offense last year will ultimately show itself with this defense...just maybe not this year. These changes were made for the long-term health of the franchise and I believe they will prove to be correct changes. No , I am not really all that excited about our secondary. (****, I played Division III wide reciever and went up against guys Grimes' size and speed.) But again, I don't get paid to evaluate NFL talent, so my attitude is more wait-and-see.

5. I have never liked the Dolphins for one second. If they were playing the Cowboys, Broncos, or Raiders (my other least favorite sports franchises), I still wouldn't root for them to win. I would want to see a tie with several non-career-threatening injuries. Just kidding, as one who played the game, you never want to see injuries. Well, maybe just the Cowboys. I am so excited for this weekend I can hardly stand it and if any of you run into me pre/during/post game, hit me up for a beer. I'll be the guy in the red Matt Ryan jersey. Thanks for reading.

Glad to hear you can make it down to the dome. You'll probably be a bit disappointed in the dome itself, but the atmosphere will be great on Sunday. As for places to eat/DRINK, there is a good sports bar just a couple blocks from the Dome called "Stats". It would be a good place to watch some college football on Saturday, as well. Have you already settled on a hotel? If so, if it's in the Dome vicinity, you should have all you need without really leaving the area. Although, it's not necessarily an area you want to be roaming around late-night by yourself... There are a lot of good restaurants around the area, including a personal favorite of mine, Ted's Montana Grill (bison burgers, etc.) It's a bit more pricey, but there are plenty of options. Does that help at all? Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Hello to all. I have been keeping up with the boards but haven't posted since last season. I'll leave you with some thoughts on the upcoming season later, but first I need your help. I have been a Falcon fan my entire life, but have lived in the Midwest the whole time. Long story from a previous post. I have been in Minneapolis since 1998 and have seen the Falcons nearly every time they have been within driving distance. Last year I saw them beat GB in Lambeau (awesome place to watch a game if you can ever get there) and beat the Vikes at Metrodome (hope they implode it as soon as possible). I saw a couple of games when I was younger at Fulton County, but have never been to Georgia Dome for one reason or another. I was able to score some tix for this Sunday's game through work and will be flying down this weekend. Needless to say I am almost as excited for this game as I am for the upcoming season. I know most of you will agree with me that there has seldom (if ever) been this much optimism heading into a Falcons season. Anyway, I'll be in ATL from Saturday through Monday and need some advice on where are some good places to eat (and especially drink) that are in the vicinity of the Georgia Dome? I don't mind cabbing around for short distances and would really like to make this weekend as awesome as possible so any help you can provide is much appreciated. Please try to keep the responses positive (I've been noticing a little TOO much negativity around the boards lately) and you can bet I'll return the favor if you ever make your way to the Twin Cities. ****, I'll even buy you a beer, but let's hope that if the Falcons and Vikings meet again this season it is in Atlanta--in the playoffs. Now some parting thoughts on 2009:

1. The schedule is tough on paper, but strength of schedule is based on last year's record and many of those teams aren't going to be as good as they were (granted a few may improve). Let's see our team on the field before we start mailing it in. Barring significant injury, I not only see us breaking "the curse," but bettering last year's performance. I am willing to give the leadership on this team the benefit of the doubt. Who among us really thought 11-5 and playoffs was realistic heading into last season?

2. This team is strong in the trenches and championship teams are always built this way. Our offensive line is nasty for a bunch of guys that few people could pick out of a lineup. They run block extremely well and kept Ryan's jersey clean most of last season (no dome jokes, you know what I mean). I am liking the D-Line more than I thought I would and I don't think the preseason play is indicative of what we will see come game time. Teams tend to scheme less as a unit and are more interested in evaluating individual talent/learning curve/work ethic in the preseason.

3. Offense will score points. There are simply too many options for Ryan who will NOT suffer the sophomore slump. How do you scheme against our offense? If you bring the extra man into the box to gang up on Turner, look out. If you don't and you try to take a receiver or two out of the play...I really don't think that is sound strategy either. Ryan is too quick through his progressions and can make all of the throws. A future HOF tight end dosen't hurt at all. If the Falcons minimize procedural mistakes and hold onto the football, that to me spells ball control, and probably a significant time of possession advantage. This keeps our young defense on the field less.

4. Whether or not you agree with the changes on defense, I think that the clairvoyance that Dimitroff and Co. showed transforming the offense last year will ultimately show itself with this defense...just maybe not this year. These changes were made for the long-term health of the franchise and I believe they will prove to be correct changes. No , I am not really all that excited about our secondary. (****, I played Division III wide reciever and went up against guys Grimes' size and speed.) But again, I don't get paid to evaluate NFL talent, so my attitude is more wait-and-see.

5. I have never liked the Dolphins for one second. If they were playing the Cowboys, Broncos, or Raiders (my other least favorite sports franchises), I still wouldn't root for them to win. I would want to see a tie with several non-career-threatening injuries. Just kidding, as one who played the game, you never want to see injuries. Well, maybe just the Cowboys. I am so excited for this weekend I can hardly stand it and if any of you run into me pre/during/post game, hit me up for a beer. I'll be the guy in the red Matt Ryan jersey. Thanks for reading.

check out the get together penned threads at the top

The Sundial at the Westin is great for a rotating view of the city from the top and very close. For cab rides and intown bar scenes East Atlanta is pretty close for grungyish locals, midtown for young urban profesionals, college students and hot chicks. They are kind of suburbanish folks. And Virginian Highlands for 30 somethings. Your cab driver and concierge can direct you and these areas have plenty of bars. For a sports bar although I have never been there I would agree that Stats should be the place to go. If you like hip hop go to MJQs on Ponce de Leon its awsome with a good mix of Atlanta folks. In midtown and MJQs you can dance too if you like. Have fun. Also we have great strip clubs if thats your thing. Magic City is world famous for balck chicks; although I doubt it is dangerous I would not go if you are not street wise. The Cheetah is close to the Midtown bar scene and you would not have to be street wise to go there. Its where your white collar professionals would go. The ones I would go to are too far away for a cab ride. Go Birds! Also Paschals would be awsome for southern soul food, Legal Sea Foods for the obvious and Mc Cormick & Schmick's is nice restaurant close by.

Thanks everybody for the many good ideas so far. If I can, I will definitely try and find you guys at the get together. I've got to say this will a new experience for me being in the home team's stadium. I'm not quite sure how to handle being surrounded by fans of my team. Usually, I'm in pretty hostile territory. Last year at Lambeau I was the only red jersey in my entire section of the stadium. This is gonna be sweet. Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming. Where are the really good beer bars? The ones with the obscure stuff, not just the usual suspects. Thanks!

Thanks everybody for the many good ideas so far. If I can, I will definitely try and find you guys at the get together. I've got to say this will a new experience for me being in the home team's stadium. I'm not quite sure how to handle being surrounded by fans of my team. Usually, I'm in pretty hostile territory. Last year at Lambeau I was the only red jersey in my entire section of the stadium. This is gonna be sweet. Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming. Where are the really good beer bars? The ones with the obscure stuff, not just the usual suspects. Thanks!

I see they gave you the Royal Suggestions of Atlanta... Your going to be here for a few days and in this economy saving a dollar is the most important thing. You will be broke by Halftime of the game on Sunday... I see you mention a place for drinks, I assume your a sports junkie so you can hit Taco Mac in the CNN center or on Peachtree st or you can go to Hooters on peachtree street as well, neither is pricey. If your looking for seafood skip hi priced McCormick and go to 6ft Under, they have a rooftop eating area and a killer bar with nice atmosphere. If your looking for burger or pizza skip on over to Luckie Lounge downtown or Hard Rock Cafe... When I'm on a road trip, I usually save Sunday after the game for the good dinner. Your hotel location will determine where you eat and drink.

Don't worry about being downtown just use some common sence.. We have had some robberies lately but everyone that has gotten rob was walking alone. As far as game day, the best thing to do is to hook up with someone in the tailgate areas. Just let them know your from out of town and they will be more than happy to let you join...