More freshman impact: Georgia’s Smith or FSU’s Reid?

SacFalcFan

More freshman impact: Georgia’s Smith or FSU’s Reid?

7:36 am September 8, 2009, by Chip Towers

It has been seven months since National Signing Day and the debate over Branden Smith and Greg Reid rages on.

Week One of the college football season did nothing but confirm what everybody suspected when the state’s two two cornerbacks went separate ways last February — they’re both special players.

Georgia’s Smith, from Atlanta’s Booker T. Washington High, was generally regarded as the top defensive back in the state, a consensus 5-star recruit. Reid was the consummate late bloomer, coming on his senior season at Lowndes to earn the AJC’s Player of the Year honors and blowing up two All-Star Games. In the end he was rated a four-star by Scout.com but actually passed Smith as Rivals’ No. 1 player in the state and ended up with a five-star rating. Reid signed with Florida State.

Both athletes’ wares were on display this past weekend as the college football season got under way. And both were impressive.

Georgia utilized Smith, known for his blazing speed (4.28 40) all over the field and on both sides of the ball. The 5-11, 175-pound defensive back lined up at tailback and quarterback on offense, played cornerback on defense and returned kickoffs. He finished with 42 all-purpose yards: 11 yards on three rushes, three on one reception and 28 yards on two returns. He did not record any stats on defense. While he didn’t break any big plays, the potential to do so was blatantly obvious.

Reid left nothing to doubt on ESPN Monday night. The 5-9, 185-pounder intercepted a pass, recorded three tackles as the Seminoles’ nickelback and had three kickoff returns for 100 yards, with a long of 51, in the Seminoles’ loss to Miami. He gave up one of the Hurricanes’ early TDs but responded with a third-quarter pickand had a huge solo tackle late in the game.

Imagine if these two dynamic players had decided to play together? They almost did. At one point in the recruiting process Reid was leaning toward signing with the Bulldogs and our Michael Carvell wondered aloud what it might be like if Georgia got them both. Alas, the Bulldogs appeared to have finished in third for Reid as he chose FSU over Alabama and Georgia on the eve of National Signing Day.

So let’s hear it from you. Based on this very limited body of work, which prospect is going to make the better college player?

Neither guy is a sure thing.

Reid is a sure fire impact freshman. If only for his KR ability.. those returns were dynamic. Also, you cannot underestimate how impressive it is to do what he did against Miami in his first collegiate game ever. I would have thought that a UGA fan would take stock in that after seeing Smith make some dumb "freshman mistakes" against Ok. State.

Reid has made a mockery of the "learning curve". Seeing as how you started this thread after the weekend, you clearly dont see it the same way. Im not saying Smith cannot win the freshman impact race, but he is starting way behind Greg Reid.

Reid is a sure fire impact freshman. If only for his KR ability.. those returns were dynamic. Also, you cannot underestimate how impressive it is to do what he did against Miami in his first collegiate game ever. I would have thought that a UGA fan would take stock in that after seeing Smith make some dumb "freshman mistakes" against Ok. State.

Reid has made a mockery of the "learning curve". Seeing as how you started this thread after the weekend, you clearly dont see it the same way. Im not saying Smith cannot win the freshman impact race, but he is starting way behind Greg Reid.

I would have thought as a GT fan that you wouldn't use the term a sure thing when discussing a freshman especially after 1 game. You really don't know what that term means to be using the say about a true frosh after just 1 game. He is a very talented player, but no he is not a sure thing. Reggie ball anyone. Well since the article was posted today it's hard to go into the future to find articles, but i will look for an article next Tuesday and post today since we know time travel and zima go hand in hand with tech fans. I think Smith is a heck of a player and like Reid impressed me this past weekend. These two will be compared for sometime and it's going to be an interesting discussion the next few years discussing the two.

I would have thought as a GT fan that you wouldn't use the term a sure thing when discussing a freshman especially after 1 game. You really don't know what that term means to be using the say about a true frosh after just 1 game. He is a very talented player, but no he is not a sure thing. Reggie ball anyone. Well since the article was posted today it's hard to go into the future to find articles, but i will look for an article next Tuesday and post today since we know time travel and zima go hand in hand with tech fans. I think Smith is a heck of a player and like Reid impressed me this past weekend. These two will be compared for sometime and it's going to be an interesting discussion the next few years discussing the two.

The focus of this thread is Smith vs. Reid in their freshman season. I am more or less saying that Reid is a known commodity in comparison to Brandon Smith. We have seen what Greg Reid can do against a great team. Smith has yet to show it. I am referring to Reid being the sure thing because he has already shown what he can do.

Smith is more of an unknown commodity because he made mistakes and didnt flash the elite skills that he was recruited for. Dont confuse me for saying that Reid is an impact player in general for the Noles.

Why are you saying next few years now? This discussion is about whose the impact freshman.

So, I got back from the game a little while ago. Well that was a pretty exciting game for a fan even though I want Willie gone more than ever now. He is awful at making adjustments and really hope he is gone at the end of this year. Anyway, speaking of freshmen, I was watching the receivers do their warm ups and they all run about 8 or 9 or so routes each with a rotating quarterback throwing to them. Well what stood was that Marlon Brown was dropping everything. In about the 10 routes he ran (i think he ran some extra bc of his drops) he dropped atleast 5 or 6 of the balls thrown to him, very catchable balls. Also, his routes weren't very crisp and that showed that he has a lot of work to do if he wants to see any meaningful time on the field. Did anyone even see him get on the field during the game? I saw Wooten a few times during the game and he did fine in his warm ups. Btw, everyone seemed to have a drop or two besides AJ and Taverras King. Just sharing some of my thoughts!

So, I got back from the game a little while ago. Well that was a pretty exciting game for a fan even though I want Willie gone more than ever now. He is awful at making adjustments and really hope he is gone at the end of this year. Anyway, speaking of freshmen, I was watching the receivers do their warm ups and they all run about 8 or 9 or so routes each with a rotating quarterback throwing to them. Well what stood was that Marlon Brown was dropping everything. In about the 10 routes he ran (i think he ran some extra bc of his drops) he dropped atleast 5 or 6 of the balls thrown to him, very catchable balls. Also, his routes weren't very crisp and that showed that he has a lot of work to do if he wants to see any meaningful time on the field. Did anyone even see him get on the field during the game? I saw Wooten a few times during the game and he did fine in his warm ups. Btw, everyone seemed to have a drop or two besides AJ and Taverras King. Just sharing some of my thoughts!

i didn't see many drops at all in the game from our wrs/tes.. orson had a nice game.. he is a very good blocker btw.. and he is averaging over 20 yards per catch.. marlon brown was in there for a few of our running plays.. he needs to show he will block and the same for wooten before they get a lot of time on the field.

i didn't see many drops at all in the game from our wrs/tes.. orson had a nice game.. he is a very good blocker btw.. and he is averaging over 20 yards per catch.. marlon brown was in there for a few of our running plays.. he needs to show he will block and the same for wooten before they get a lot of time on the field.

Sry, I meant drops in their warm up route running. We did fine during the game.

I asked you a question, if you don't like answering questions then don't post on a message board.. again what did greg reid do tonight against a poor opponent? so we can say week 1 to reid, week 2 to branden smith.

A message board is opinions. Hardly any of us speak facts. I still take Reids performance over a team like miami over whatever his name is performance against south Carolina. See, thats an opinion. Just like its your opinion to like smith more. That's what makes a message board great. Thats why we post here.

A message board is opinions. Hardly any of us speak facts. I still take Reids performance over a team like miami over whatever his name is performance against south Carolina. See, thats an opinion. Just like its your opinion to like smith more. That's what makes a message board great. Thats why we post here.

Whatever his name is...right. :rolleyes:

Again I will ask you a question, you don't want to answer then don't. What did Reid do against jacksonville state? He did nothing against poor competition is the answer not the above. The above has nothing to with what I posted. We deal with facts all the time on this board and we deal with opinion as well. Since this is a message about don't get out of sorts when someone asks you question.