Power Rankings - Week 1

Jedi-Falcon

Link

1 (1) Steelers 12-4-0 They're loaded with talent and their coach knows how to maximize it. Can you say "repeat"? (Chadiha)

2 (2) Patriots 11-5-0 QB Tom Brady's broad shoulders have to carry an aging defense. (Clayton)

3 (3) Giants 12-4-0 The Giants have concerns on defense, but they buy time with solid ground game. (Clayton)

4 (4) Eagles 9-6-1 QB Donovan McNabb isn't wild about Wildcat, but he's the Eagles wild card to success. (Clayton)

5 (6) Chargers 8-8-0 Even if the Chargers are get caught up in the hype, they will win the division. (Kuharsky)

6 (5) Colts 12-4-0 Left tackle is the one big issue, but they'll work around it as much as possible. (Kuharsky)

7 (7) Titans 13-3-0 Life gets easier after difficult first six games, four of which are on the road. (Kuharsky)

8 (8) Falcons 11-5-0 A year of seasoning for Matt Ryan should put the Falcons in better position. Coach Mike Smith's even keel also seems helpful. (Sando)

9 (9) Vikings 10-6-0 Schism or not, Brett Favre makes this team a championship contender. (Chadiha)

10 (10) Ravens 11-5-0 They're lucky WR Derrick Mason decided to return from retirement. (Chadiha)

11 (13) Bears 9-7-0 I still don't see how Jay Cutler can play his best without proven wide receivers. (Chadiha)

12 (17) Packers 6-10-0 It all comes down to whether that defense can play better with a new 3-4 scheme. (Chadiha)

13 (12) Cardinals 9-7-0 QB Kurt Warner and key veterans sound a bit concerned after a lackluster preseason. The Cardinals still must prove they can be consistent. (Sando)

14 (11) Panthers 12-4-0 It's tough to set expectations for this group after so much staff turnover and the way Carolina faltered in the postseason. (Sando)

15 (18) Seahawks 4-12-0 The Seahawks are rising in the rankings after QB Matt Hasselbeck proved he could take a hit during the preseason. LT Walter Jones' health also key. (Sando)

16 (15) Dolphins 11-5-0 The Dolphins hope to avert the three-game drop that usually hits a team that goes from worst to first in a division. (Clayton)

17 (14) Cowboys 9-7-0 WR Roy Williams is catching everything in practice despite a sore shoulder, but he needs big season for the offense to thrive. (Clayton)

18 (19) Saints 8-8-0 Skepticism seems appropriate until the Saints prove they've finally upgraded their defense. Until then, it's fantasy football with Drew Brees. (Sando)

19 (16) Texans 8-8-0 LB Brian Cushing alone can't solve the defensive issues that lingered through preseason.

20 (20) Redskins 8-8-0 QB Jason Campbell appears improved now that coach Jim Zorn lets him throw more downfield. (Clayton)

21 (21) Bills 7-9-0 Firing offensive coordinator Turk Schonert nine days before the season opener is a sign of total panic in Buffalo. (Clayton)

22 (22) 49ers 7-9-0 Establishing a hard-nosed ground game was the first step for coach Mike Singletary and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye. Can the passing game catch up? (Sando)

23 (23) Jets 9-7-0 Mark Sanchez continues to appear confident as a starter. He's seemingly more advanced than most rookie QBs.

24 (24) Bengals 4-11-1 Love this year's version of "Hard Knocks." Unfortunately, the Bengals' playoff hopes can be summed up by Chad Ochocinco's trademark saying: "Child, please." (Chadiha)

25 (25) Jaguars 5-11-0 With three division games in first four, the Jags are likely to move down before moving up. (Kuharsky)

26 (26) Buccaneers 9-7-0 A defensive-minded rookie coach plus new starting QB minus the offensive coordinator: I'm not so sure that's a winning equation. (Sando)

27 (27) Broncos 8-8-0 It has to take a while for team to buy in after all the drama surrounding former QB Jay Cutler, and then WR Brandon Marshall. (Kuharsky)

28 (28) Browns 4-12-0 I just can't see new coach Eric Mangini turning this team around in one season. (Chadiha)

29 (29) Chiefs 2-14-0 The Chiefs have a chance to climb if they can separate themselves from the Broncos and Raiders. (Kurharsky)

30 (30) Raiders 5-11-0 Will QB JaMarcus Russell start to quiet critics or give us more fodder? (Kuharsky)

31 (31) Rams 2-14-0 The schedule makers did new coach Steve Spagnuolo no favors by sending the Rams on the road three times in their first four games. (Sando)

32 (32) Lions 0-16-0 New coach Jim Schwartz will make the Lions better. He just won't do it fast enough to make a difference this fall. (Chadiha)

Ahhh... I remember the Bucs being top 5 in the power rankings last year... we all know how that turned out... Power rankings just mean SO much...

Yeah but you guys were highly overrated, and the division didn't look too promising besides the saints. Earnest Graham as the ft back, and QB change every 3 minutes, coupled with us being horrid the year before and carolina looking unstable. This year we're the real deal, Turner is unstoppable, and Ryan is a good QB.

A lofty ranking for a team with many expectations.

Personally I have us at a cozy 10, due to the unknown variables

with the secondary.

Could I be that they know more than my 47 years of watching the NFL ?

Or maybe, just maybe they know something about our new signings than I.

Short answer...probably...to both.

Not to irritate, but I've watched MotoGP, AMA Flattrack, and streetbike racing for 10yrs...I'm not about to make any predictions on how the racers will do, nor would I consider myself any smarter at it than someone they have analyzing it.

I get what you're saying, but watching vs. studying/analyzing/and getting paid to do it are two completely different things. I'm not calling your (or anyone's) knowledge into question, but I guess how you're rationalizing your take....I am. I'll put more stock into someone getting paid to do it full time (x player, analyst, etc) than a biased fan that it's a hobby, because let's face it to any of us...that's what it is.

However, before the season starts, I can tall you Rossi will do well, and there's a handful of others that will do well. Heck, I would have told you Nicky Hayden was going to do really well this last weekend in Italy (until someone crashed into him only two turns into the race ending his day). So, yeah, anyone's thoughts (including people making these lists) are cool and gives you some idea where everyone is, but you don't know until they blow the whistle. On that note....before this season starts, the Falcons are looking pretty good on Offense...we'll see.

8-10 I think is fair, but then again...what do I know.

Short answer...probably...to both.

Not to irritate, but I've watched MotoGP, AMA Flattrack, and streetbike racing for 10yrs...I'm not about to make any predictions on how the racers will do, nor would I consider myself any smarter at it than someone they have analyzing it.

I get what you're saying, but watching vs. studying/analyzing/and getting paid to do it are two completely different things. I'm not calling your (or anyone's) knowledge into question, but I guess how you're rationalizing your take....I am. I'll put more stock into someone getting paid to do it full time (x player, analyst, etc) than a biased fan that it's a hobby, because let's face it to any of us...that's what it is.

However, before the season starts, I can tall you Rossi will do well, and there's a handful of others that will do well. Heck, I would have told you Nicky Hayden was going to do really well this last weekend in Italy (until someone crashed into him only two turns into the race ending his day). So, yeah, anyone's thoughts (including people making these lists) are cool and gives you some idea where everyone is, but you don't know until they blow the whistle. On that note....before this season starts, the Falcons are looking pretty good on Offense...we'll see.

8-10 I think is fair, but then again...what do I know.

Hello Mr Blinky.

I love the reply.

My 47 years of Loving the NFL means that I have watched it since I was 5.

I played until the level of talent on the field and my own abilities told me that I

no longer had any business on a football field.

Getting paid to make a post is one thing, but I will tell you this, and for all certianty

take it to the bank.

I do not need to know a players combine stats come game day such as how fast

a DB is or is not.

Its all about the game and how it is played and either a player "Has It" or he dont.

I am refering to "Game"

So until our newly signed DB's show Game in our system, Ranking this team at 8

is Lofty.

Getting our Offense on the field is everything, this season.

"High School, College, Pros, it is the same game" Tommy Nobis

Cheers

Tommy was one of my early inspirations.

First time I met him he was on his back porch eating a hunk of watermelon.

I was 9 or 10.

Liked to have scared me to death man. I mean he looked like a wild animal

devouring its prey.. Played like it too !

I bleed Red and Black and love my Falcons.

But after so many decades of loving football you get a keen sense of knowing

who gots it and who dont.

Like you said we will have to see what we picked up last week, and Im with you man.

I think they will pan out nicely. (biting my nails)

Man, pre-season rankings are ridiculous in the pros as well as college. If #1 plays #2 and wins, why does #2 drop four or five spots? If they were supposed to win the game, they would have been ranked #1, right? Anyway, I don't care about our rating before the game, I care about our rating the day AFTER the game. That's what tells you that you have a good team.