GT Fans: The good, the bad, and the ugly from the jacksonvile state game.

SacFalcFan

So, lets look at the Good, Bad, and the Ugly from yesterday’s 37-17 scrimmage against the Gamecocks.

Game Day Experience:

* The Good - I really liked the upgrades to the stadium. The new video screen (MegaJacketTron?) and sound system are light years ahead of last year. Everything looked and sounded awesome. I also liked the use of the ribbon screens around the stadium to display more details and stats. I was originally concerned that the ribbon screens would make the stadium feel like Phillips during a Thrashers game but Tech used them judiciously and they weren’t a distraction. The new signage and upgraded concessions on the west side were well done also.

* The Bad - The crowd was late to arrive and a bit sparse, in my opinion. I realize that it was Jacksonville State and wasn’t a very compelling matchup, but come on…it was a chance to get down on campus and see some football.

* The Ugly - Did I really spend $10 for a footlong hotdog and a bottle of water? Are you kidding me? If I hadn’t been getting some major munchies after our pre-game libations and cigars I would have passed and avoided paying the exorbitant prices.

The GT Offense:

* The Good - Dwyer went 74 yards on the first snap of the game and it was 7-0 just like that. The Jackets led 31-7 at the half without really trying hard and showed an ability to throw the ball down field to open a-backs and receivers. Thomas went over 100 yards on four receptions. 497 yards of total offense, 37 points, and noone got hurt. Nesbitt completed over 50% of his pass attempts despite a few drops.

* The Bad - Outside of Dwyer’s opening snap romp and Thomas’s 56 yard reception we didn’t really break any big exciting plays…something we’ve come to expect from this offense. We didn’t break anything on the dive play and we didn’t seem to try to get the ball outside that much. I’m not sure if JSU played well or we played halfheartedly after jumping up early. We seemed content to grind the ball down the field 3-4 yards at a time. I didn’t see a killer instinct on offense…something we need to develop before Thursday night.

* The Ugly - Fumbles and dropped passes. We put the ball on the ground five times and lost three of them. Two were fairly deep in JSU territory and took points off the board. We absolutely CANNOT do this against Clemson and Miami in the upcoming weeks. If we do, we lose. We also can’t drop open, well thrown passes that would have gone for big gains. By my estimation we dropped three balls that would have gone for at least another 100 passing yards and probably 7-14 points on the day. Nesbitt should have been something like 9 of 11 with 200+ yards and 2 TDs.

The GT Defense:

* The Good - Derrick Morgan and Morgan Burnett both showed up and played excellent defense. Morgan was unblockable all afternoon and Burnett snagged a beautiful interception to begin what should be a solid All American campaign in 2009. Jerrard Tarrant looks like he’s going to be a very good contributor at corner as he gets more playing time under his belt. The linebackers were very active and Julian Burnett is a tackling machine…he may be our next star at linebacker very soon.

* The Bad - We look soft and vulnerable in the middle of the defensive line. The linebackers were having to make plays because the DL wasn’t performing like we’ve been accustomed to seeing in the past. Its one thing to be small, quick, and mean like Joe Anoai was…but we seem to be missing the quick and mean portions of that equation right now. When the offense is double and triple teaming Derrick Morgan, someone else better take advantage and get into the backfield.

* The Ugly - JSU had two long drives in the fourth quarter and scored 10 points. The first drive was 14 plays and 75 yards. The second drive was 11 plays and 75 yards. As a result, we lost the second half by a score of 10-6 and JSU wound up with almost 300 yards of total offense.

GT Special Teams:

* The Good - Jerrard Tarrant, Jerrard Tarrant, Jerrard Tarrant! Wow…can you say playmaker. We’ve heard the coaches saying that he had natural talent and a knack for punt returns. Yes, yes he does. He may be a weapon for us like we haven’t had since Jonathan Smith. Orwin Smith also looks decisive and fast on kickoff returns. Definitely improvement in both facets of the kick return game.

* The Bad - Kick coverage still looks lacking. If JSU can get almost 20 yards a return on average against us, what do you think Clemson and Miami will average?

* The Ugly - We missed a PAT attempt. Are you kidding me? That’s supposed to be a free point. That’s why its called an EXTRA point…its EXTRA. You just take it! And don’t even get me started on the punting game. If we take that long to get a punt off against ACC competition we’re going to get one blocked down our throat and returned for special teams points against us.

The Verdict?

A win is a win…but I don’t think I’ve ever been as underwhelmed by a 37-17 thrashing of an opponent as I was by this one. I hope it was just a product of our opponent and that Coach Johnson uses it as a teaching aid and object lesson to get the team focused and motivated to face our first real competition this coming Thursday night.

for jay posey to see what he thinks of this breakdown.. it came from the ajc.

I think it is a pretty fair breakdown of the game. I don't really consider the defense in the 4th quarter as being "Ugly" they didn't put those points up against our starters. I consider it pointless. I really think Paul Johnson ran a basic offensive scheme just because he knew he didn't have to do a whole lot to beat Jacksonville State. Special Teams and fumbles are just pi$$ing me off. I am hoping they were just first game sloppiness. We'll see Thursday night. I was not impressed by the win vs. Jacksonville State because we should beating them by more. I am glad we showed improvement in the passing game and that will help us tremendously if we can keep it going as we start to face better competition. I still consider GT better than every team in the ACC besides Virginia Tech but unless they learn to keep the ball off the ground we will not beat all the teams that we should. Just like last year. I hate to break it to the UNC fan but if GT is undefeated going into that game, your team won't win it. If Tech is undefeated that means their offense is clicking and they will not give the game away like they did last year.

Sac, I would have replied earlier but I was busy with my e-wife and two e-daughters.

I think it is a pretty fair breakdown of the game. I don't really consider the defense in the 4th quarter as being "Ugly" they didn't put those points up against our starters. I consider it pointless. I really think Paul Johnson ran a basic offensive scheme just because he knew he didn't have to do a whole lot to beat Jacksonville State. Special Teams and fumbles are just pi$$ing me off. I am hoping they were just first game sloppiness. We'll see Thursday night. I was not impressed by the win vs. Jacksonville State because we should beating them by more. I am glad we showed improvement in the passing game and that will help us tremendously if we can keep it going as we start to face better competition. I still consider GT better than every team in the ACC besides Virginia Tech but unless they learn to keep the ball off the ground we will not beat all the teams that we should. Just like last year. I hate to break it to the UNC fan but if GT is undefeated going into that game, your team won't win it. If Tech is undefeated that means their offense is clicking and they will not give the game away like they did last year.

Sac, I would have replied earlier but I was busy with my e-wife and two e-daughters.

thanks for your feedback.. I hope all is going well man.

thanks for your feedback.. I hope all is going well man.

I would have gone a bit more in depth but I was being pressed by a 4 year little girl to hurry up. My honest opinion is that Georgia Tech has a great chance to do some amazing things this season, especially if you look at Paul Johnson's history in his second year. I like to stay cautiously optimistic when it comes to Georgia Tech. I am just concerned with the fumbles because they cost us at least 2 games last season and could cost us more games this year if they are not fixed. Like I said earlier, I'll hold off true judgment until after the Clemson game.

All is good here; just getting ready for our refueling outage at work. Hate them because I won't have a Saturday off until late October.