The extremes of being a fan

Finally

On one hand you have the people who know very little about the sport and the other you have the people who take it so seriously they have to be "experts" on all things football.

Can you enjoy the sport fully if you can't appreciate the mechanics of why a play was good or bad? Is it the same experience if you have to rely on commentators to point out positive or negative things to you?

Alternatively can you shut it off and just be a fan or are you so busy analyzing how each player performs that you miss the joy of the experience? Are so concerned with being knowledgeable and being right that you can't be a homer and look forward to a new season of football?

Personally I like the middle. I do not feel the need to out-expert people but I know my way around a football field. I prefer to be upset after a loss not before the game is even played. What I do know is that anything can happen on any given Sunday. A sure win can turn into a loss and the opposite. Are we going to start the season 3-0? You betcha. Why? The possibilities are endless.

On one hand you have the people who know very little about the sport and the other you have the people who take it so seriously they have to be "experts" on all things football.

Can you enjoy the sport fully if you can't appreciate the mechanics of why a play was good or bad? Is it the same experience if you have to rely on commentators to point out positive or negative things to you?

Alternatively can you shut it off and just be a fan or are you so busy analyzing how each player performs that you miss the joy of the experience? Are so concerned with being knowledgeable and being right that you can't be a homer and look forward to a new season of football?

Personally I like the middle. I do not feel the need to out-expert people but I know my way around a football field. I prefer to be upset after a loss not before the game is even played. What I do know is that anything can happen on any given Sunday. A sure win can turn into a loss and the opposite. Are we going to start the season 3-0? You betcha. Why? The possibilities are endless.

Is this a confession?

it's like any form of entertainment - i think there are varying degrees of entertaining that one feels at any given moment...

it's the same for music...i love metallica...i understand and can appreciate the melody and the thought behind their music...i also play the guitar so I understand the difficulty and thought process behind writing good sounding music and also music that is personal and something you as an artist enjoy.

i also played football and can appreciate the fine art of 11 players accomplishing a great play...

but that doesn't say that i enjoy it anymore than your average joe who just enjoys being at a sporting event.

to each his own - everyone is entitled to appreciate things in their own way

it's like any form of entertainment - i think there are varying degrees of entertaining that one feels at any given moment...

it's the same for music...i love metallica...i understand and can appreciate the melody and the thought behind their music...i also play the guitar so I understand the difficulty and thought process behind writing good sounding music and also music that is personal and something you as an artist enjoy.

i also played football and can appreciate the fine art of 11 players accomplishing a great play...

but that doesn't say that i enjoy it anymore than your average joe who just enjoys being at a sporting event.

to each his own - everyone is entitled to appreciate things in their own way

True but isn't the secret finding a balance between the mechanics and the aesthetics?

My son watches games with me, he's six and doesn't quite understand everything about the game, but he enjoys watching it just as much as I do and I am a football junkie.

My intent was not to rag on people (especially children) who do not understand the sport but to point out there is an area in between the extremes. The way people act around here sometimes you would think you could win big money if you collect enough "I told you so" moments. If I had to choose I would rather be completely wrong about something and win a game then be right and lose a game.

My intent was not to rag on people (especially children) who do not understand the sport but to point out there is an area in between the extremes. The way people act around here sometimes you would think you could win big money if you collect enough "I told you so" moments. If I had to choose I would rather be completely wrong about something and win a game then be right and lose a game.

I can understand I find myself getting wrapped up in that too, I used to not get soo wrapped up in that, but now i am going to step back, because even though i dont know everything about Football, but i realize some people dont know nothing and it is more about personal favorites.

I can understand I find myself getting wrapped up in that too, I used to not get soo wrapped up in that, but now i am going to step back, because even though i dont know everything about Football, but i realize some people dont know nothing and it is more about personal favorites.

True intelligence starts with realizing how little you know. The true experts of football are the guys who can guess the best. I read in an interview where TD had many sleepless nights after selecting Ryan. That is what happens when you have to act based on your best guess.

Great food for thought here. Everyone is a casual fan to begin with then evolve I believe into the extreme as their passion for the sport grows. I personally like to watch the game as nothing but a fan not break each play down as it happens, I like getting carried away with the moment letting my emotions melt into the game. I usually record it then go back and break it down play by play.

I also started off as strictly a Falcon homer. But as I have gotten older (35) I have come to appreciate all of the game. It helps that I played H.S. and some college to understand the mechanics. But it also opened my eyes to the past. As I learned offense and defense plays, or schemes I wanted to know the whys behind them. I can now say I am a historian of the game. I can watch NFL libraries all day. I can see what Jim Brown did all those years ago and appreciate it as much as what Turner does. I wont debate who was better then or now but I can apprciate both.

So I say be a casual fan first, keep the fesh newness about the game. Like in life still be able to find the kid inside. But be mature enough to understand it on every level and you will appreciate that much more.

I SMELL FOOTBALLLLLL!!!!!!

Does that answer the question? If not, well, I can spot holding, offsides, a chop block, and many other infractions the refs seem to not catch, and sometimes I can pick a play or two that will be run, but I love watching the players on the sideline and feeling the thump thump thump when the ball is high in the air on its way to Roddy White, Jenk, B-finn or whomever. And watching Turner bowl over Linebackers and D-linemen. I absolutely cannot wait to see Tony G make this team better.

That being said....

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!????????

I look at it this way, Falcon are my team and they always will be, I love watching them and I like talking about them all year. The message board is the only place you can do that. However, there are people on the board that just are way off base and don’t get it sometimes.

While everybody is entitled to their opinion, it just blows my mind when I see certain things posted. Just being a logical person I can’t help but questions why some people form certain opinions. I really can’t stand it when people go crazy over a 5th round pick that was put on the practice squad and then signed by another team. Some stuff just does not make sense to me and if a person were in front of me and made a statement that I thought was off base I naturally would challenge it. The board is for discussion, I think if you make a statement don’t be ticked if you get challenged on it.

I'm in the middle very knowledgeable but also the biggest home ever