congrats Spencer Adkins

MSalmon

There is nothing like a guy coaches believe have the ability to do everything they need him to do in their system. More importantly he is raw and like a sponge so the coaching staff should be able to mold him into the player they want him to be. I will not be surprised at some point that he gets meaningful playing time through the duration of the season. Congrats Spencer!

I think Spencer Adkins was the guy that they hoped Robert James would have been - the extremely fast versitile LB that can play anywhere on special teams and can be a project as an eventual defender. I think Adkins' speed will make him an AMAZING special teamer and that's why he was drafted... but I also think that he will get some reps as a pass rusher on 3rd downs as either a blitzing 4-3 LB, a situational 3-4 LB, or even at DE... all depending on the formation obviously.

His ability with our coaching developing him, He could be the replacement to Mike Peterson in the coming years. I think that was a good move to keep him over Winborn, and also keep James on the PS to continue to allow him to develop.

I agree especially over James, I thought is was going to be tough for him to make it over Winborn. I am hoping that he is Mike Peterson's replacement so we dont have to spend a high pick on a LB next year.

Truly freakish physical skills.

Failed to start at Miami even with such skills. Why?

Too dumb to play effectively, or a wrong scheme for him?

Troubling, but as a lower flyer draft pick, he's worth the gamble we can coach him up. You can't coach speed.

I am going to say wrong scheme, because he has shown the smarts to be effective in short period of time to beat out a Vet in Winborn, JMO

Well if you look at what that same Miami staff did with Devin Hester, how he was move from Offense to Defense, to RB. You can see them doing the same with Adkins, he played some DE and LB. Sometimes moving a player around too much hurts them because they are not able to focus on one position.