OLB

falcon057

Every year 80 players are allowed to be on NFL rosters at the start of training camp and the goal for everyone is to earn their way onto the final 53. Throughout camp, 49ers.com will highlight some of our newcomers and their Road to the Roster. Here’s the fifth installment of our Road to the Roster series with 49ers outside linebacker Diyral Briggs.

It’s hard enough to make a big impression when you’re an undrafted rookie vying for playing time in training camp.

But on two different occasions, undrafted rookie Diyral Briggs’ name was said by Takeo Spikes and Patrick Willis when they were asked by the media which young player had impressed them the most in camp.

“To me, that’s an honor,” Briggs said. “The two of those guys noticing me, makes me know that I’m doing my job.”

The support from Spikes was especially meaningful to Briggs. Being a native of Cincinnati, Briggs grew up watching Spikes while he was playing with the Bengals.

“A guy like Takeo, I used to watch him play and now it’s great that I’m able to play next to him,” Briggs said. “For these guys to mention me, it makes me feel great. It makes me want to keep going a lot harder.”

Briggs will have one final opportunity this preseason to impress Spikes, Willis, but more importantly the 49ers coaching staff. After Friday’s game against the San Diego Chargers, the rosters will be reduced to the final 53.

The 6-4, 230-pound athletic linebacker, definitely caught the eyes of everyone when he intercepted a pass in one of the team’s joint practices with the Oakland Raiders.

“That’s the best thing that’s happened to me all of camp!” Briggs said that day. “I’m just happy I was able to show my hands!”

Before signing with the 49ers, Briggs was showing off all of his abilities at Bowling Green State University of the Mid-American Conference.

In college, Briggs built a reputation as a devastating pass rusher.

He was an All-Conference outside linebacker. Briggs also recorded 26 sacks in his college career, which is best in school history and good enough for eighth all-time in the MAC.

He was so dominant, Bowling Green had to hide him in their defensive alignment by lining him up in different positions each game.

But for all of his success, Bowling Green’s best pass rusher was passed over in the past NFL Draft.

When the time came to find a team interested in his services, Briggs’ style of play aligned perfectly with 49ers defensive coordinator Greg Manusky’s 3-4 defense.

And while he’s been in camp with the 49ers, Briggs has made a strong impression on all those around him.

Could we find room?

Quick Response: We are a 4-3 team and he does nothing that Kroy Bierman does not already do. Can he cover? That is the question. He is a 3-4 Linebacker and probably does not fit our defense. That said: I still think we need to upgrade the linebacker position and in particular, the strong side. 230 is light on a 6'4" Frame. Ask TD what he thinks........

Quick Response: We are a 4-3 team and he does nothing that Kroy Bierman does not already do. Can he cover? That is the question. He is a 3-4 Linebacker and probably does not fit our defense. That said: I still think we need to upgrade the linebacker position and in particular, the strong side. 230 is light on a 6'4" Frame. Ask TD what he thinks........

sorry, good morning, sure you got his number. What the name of this board again?

057 - you will get nowhere with some of these fans. Too many Mike Peterson Jock Sniffers to really get much of a debate going. But you are right, the Falcons definitely need an upgrade at the OLB position.

I think Peterson actually posts on this board under the name "Michael Who?" so it's tough for folks to be objective and recognize how slow peterson is. After Pat White blows past him for the 7th time on Sunday, some of the peterson apologists might start to come around...

Thanks for posting that article.

Hey Mug....Listen not everyone here is a Peterson "jock sniffer" as you like to call them. alot of us are just being positive and supporting our players, right now Peterson is who we got so instead of throwing him under the bus maybe you should try supporting the Falcons as a team.

Unless you think you can do better then Peterson relax and don't expect all of us to jump up, grab our torches and pitch forks and follow you down on a witch hunt.

I know Peterson is not in his prime but if Smith thinks he's good enough to take the starting position then lets trust him....

Hey Mug....Listen not everyone here is a Peterson "jock sniffer" as you like to call them. alot of us are just being positive and supporting our players, right now Peterson is who we got so instead of throwing him under the bus maybe you should try supporting the Falcons as a team.

Unless you think you can do better then Peterson relax and don't expect all of us to jump up, grab our torches and pitch forks and follow you down on a witch hunt.

I know Peterson is not in his prime but if Smith thinks he's good enough to take the starting position then lets trust him....

So I take it you were opposed to the recent moves that dimitroff made to upgrade our secondary?

Conversely, rather than just bend over and take it up the poop shoot, I think the Falcons should be proactive in upgrading the linebacking unit.

If wanting the Falcons to be a better team (as opposed to older, slower, and worse) makes me a bad fan, then I am guilty as charged.

However, unlike you, I am not satisfied with the status quo. I have been a falcons fan for far too long to sit around and abide by this Rankin Smith-esque hand-sitting while watching our defense get torched. If you are happy with a substandard defensive product, that sir, is your problem.

Good day.

So I take it you were opposed to the recent moves that dimitroff made to upgrade our secondary?

Conversely, rather than just bend over and take it up the poop shoot, I think the Falcons should be proactive in upgrading the linebacking unit.

If wanting the Falcons to be a better team (as opposed to older, slower, and worse) makes me a bad fan, then I am guilty as charged.

However, unlike you, I am not satisfied with the status quo. I have been a falcons fan for far too long to sit around and abide by this Rankin Smith-esque hand-sitting while watching our defense get torched. If you are happy with a substandard defensive product, that sir, is your problem.

Good day.

And who...pray tell....would you replace Peterson with.....five days before the season opener. Did I miss some young HOFer FA OLB out there that Smith is just an idiot for not signing?

I am all for upgrading a weak area on the team but lets have some logical SOLUTION before we just talk trash...so please enlighten the rest of us with your brillance....

Oh....good day to you too!

We are fine at all LB positions, our LB play so far his shown the it can be very solid for us, especially in the run game. We dont not need an upgrade at the LB position we are fine, and I think that we have very good depth to with Wire, Gilbert, and Adkins. This has nothing to do with a lovefest it is the truth and if you really watch the LB during the game they are doing what they are supposed to do, but i do think they could make some adjustments to help out in the passing game especially those quick slants, and passes over the middle.

Good day.

Very well put sir. GO FALCONS 10 WIN SEASON. But it helps to always look for ways to improve and NEVER settle for status Q. Then you will end up in a super bowl for years to come! oh , This is not looking at a starter only depth that we'll need next year. I believe SF knows something about LB.

We are fine at all LB positions, our LB play so far his shown the it can be very solid for us, especially in the run game. We dont not need an upgrade at the LB position we are fine, and I think that we have very good depth to with Wire, Gilbert, and Adkins. This has nothing to do with a lovefest it is the truth and if you really watch the LB during the game they are doing what they are supposed to do, but i do think they could make some adjustments to help out in the passing game especially those quick slants, and passes over the middle.

POsting it again just to make sure those who dont know learn something before they sign off the MB today

And who...pray tell....would you replace Peterson with.....five days before the season opener. Did I miss some young HOFer FA OLB out there that Smith is just an idiot for not signing?

I am all for upgrading a weak area on the team but lets have some logical SOLUTION before we just talk trash...so please enlighten the rest of us with your brillance....

Oh....good day to you too!

OK dingkeberry, if you are too lazy, or too stupid, to do your own reasearch, let me dumb it down for you.

First of all, Head Coach Mike Smith is not in charge of looking for, or signing, other players as you suggest. That is the job of general manager dimitorff.

And, since you ask, there are other options.

The following OLB's are, or were at one time, available for the Falcons selection. Each would be an upgrade over the trash-talking, clubfooted Mike Peterson:

OLB Karlos Dansby 5 6-4/240

OLB Bart Scott UFA 7 6-2/240

OLB Derrick Brooks UFA 14 6-0/235

OLB Leroy Hill UFA 4 6-1/224

OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa UFA 6 6-1/231

OLB Greg Ellis UFA 11 6-6/270

OLB Marcus Washington UFA 9 6-2/235

OLB Cato June UFA 6 6-0/227

OLB Donnie Edwards UFA 13 6-2/224

OLB Angelo Crowell UFA 6 6-1/246

OLB Kevin Burnett UFA 4 6-3/240

OLB Freddy Keiaho UFA 3 5-11/226

OLB Tyjuan Hagler UFA 4 6-0/236

OLB Rashad Jeanty RFA 3 6-2/245

OLB Boss Bailey UFA 6 -/-

OLB Morlon Greenwood UFA 8 6-0/238

OLB Pierre Woods RFA 3 6-5/249

OLB David Bowens UFA 10 6-3/265

OLB Dontarrious Thomas UFA 5 6-2/241

OLB Tully Banta-Cain UFA 6 6-2/280

OLB Marques Harris UFA 4 6-1/231

OLB Clark Haggans UFA 9 6-4/243

OLB James Anderson RFA 3 6-2/230

OLB Willie McGinest UFA 15 6-5/270

OLB Keith Ellison RFA 3 6-0/229

OLB D.D. Lewis UFA 7 6-1/241

OLB Ricky Brown RFA 3 6-2/235

OLB Brandon Johnson RFA 3 6-5/224

OLB Shantee Orr UFA 5 6-1/246

OLB Carlos Polk UFA 8 -/-

OLB Heath Farwell UFA 4 6-0/235

OLB Gilbert Gardner UFA 5 6-1/228

OLB Alfred Fincher UFA 3 6-1/238

OLB Gary Stills UFA 10 6-2/250

OLB Darryl Blackstock UFA 4 6-3/244

OLB Sam Williams UFA 6 6-5/260

OLB Kris Griffin UFA 4 6-3/245

Just because something has been spoon fed to you as the only option, doesn't mean it is the truth. The fact of the matter is that there are other players out there who are better, faster, stronger, and more qualified that the jaguar cast-off Mike Peterson. Maybe you are drawn in by his long harid and loud mouth, but there is more to football than looking good and talking trash.

And a good day to you kind sir.

OK dingkeberry, if you are too lazy, or too stupid, to do your own reasearch, let me dumb it down for you.

The following OLB's are, or were at one time, available for the Falcons selection. Each would be an upgrade over the trash-talking, clubfooted Mike Peterson:

OLB Karlos Dansby 5 6-4/240

OLB Bart Scott UFA 7 6-2/240

OLB Derrick Brooks UFA 14 6-0/235

OLB Leroy Hill UFA 4 6-1/224

OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa UFA 6 6-1/231

OLB Greg Ellis UFA 11 6-6/270

OLB Marcus Washington UFA 9 6-2/235

OLB Cato June UFA 6 6-0/227

OLB Donnie Edwards UFA 13 6-2/224

OLB Angelo Crowell UFA 6 6-1/246

OLB Kevin Burnett UFA 4 6-3/240

OLB Freddy Keiaho UFA 3 5-11/226

OLB Tyjuan Hagler UFA 4 6-0/236

OLB Rashad Jeanty RFA 3 6-2/245

OLB Boss Bailey UFA 6 -/-

OLB Morlon Greenwood UFA 8 6-0/238

OLB Pierre Woods RFA 3 6-5/249

OLB David Bowens UFA 10 6-3/265

OLB Dontarrious Thomas UFA 5 6-2/241

OLB Tully Banta-Cain UFA 6 6-2/280

OLB Marques Harris UFA 4 6-1/231

OLB Clark Haggans UFA 9 6-4/243

OLB James Anderson RFA 3 6-2/230

OLB Willie McGinest UFA 15 6-5/270

OLB Keith Ellison RFA 3 6-0/229

OLB D.D. Lewis UFA 7 6-1/241

OLB Ricky Brown RFA 3 6-2/235

OLB Brandon Johnson RFA 3 6-5/224

OLB Shantee Orr UFA 5 6-1/246

OLB Carlos Polk UFA 8 -/-

OLB Heath Farwell UFA 4 6-0/235

OLB Gilbert Gardner UFA 5 6-1/228

OLB Alfred Fincher UFA 3 6-1/238

OLB Gary Stills UFA 10 6-2/250

OLB Darryl Blackstock UFA 4 6-3/244

OLB Sam Williams UFA 6 6-5/260

OLB Kris Griffin UFA 4 6-3/245

Just because something has been spoon fed to you as the only option, doesn't mean it is the truth. The fact of the matter is that there are other players out there who are better, faster, stronger, and more qualified that the jaguar cast-off Mike Peterson. Maybe you are drawn in by his long harid and loud mouth, but there is more to football than looking good and talking trash.

And a good day to you kind sir.

YOU probably dont know anything about those players and just found a list and posted it. Your personal opinions about Mike Peterson are interfering with your ability to make a objective opinion about our LB play thus far.

^^^^ I posted this again 4 you so that you could learn a thing or two about football

YOU probably dont know anything about those players and just found a list and posted it. Your personal opinions about Mike Peterson are interfering with your ability to make a objective opinion about our LB play thus far.

^^^^ I posted this again 4 you so that you could learn a thing or two about football

You shouldn't assume that everyone else suffers from the same ignorance that you do.

You are the one posting ignorant statements, the proof is in the pudding my good man.

If you want to sniff Mike Peterson's jock, that's your choice and I'm fine with it.

But, when our starting OLB gets beat by an aging, QB recovering from Knee Surgery (Culpepper), that's bad. That's a FACT.

When our starting OLB watches the 2nd string Baltimore Ravens tailback catch a TD pass out of the backfield, that's bad. That's a FACT.

I know you have probably been drawn in by Mike Peterson's ability to talk a good game, but it will become painfully evident to you and the other peterson apologist, jock-sniffers that he no longer has the speed to play OLB at the NFL level.

If you think that Peterson is going to be able to stop Pat White (Wildcat formation), you are high - high on the fumes of Mike Peterson's jock strap.

Good day.

If you want to sniff Mike Peterson's jock, that's your choice and I'm fine with it.

But, when our starting OLB gets beat by an aging, QB recovering from Knee Surgery (Culpepper), that's bad. That's a FACT.

When our starting OLB watches the 2nd string Baltimore Ravens tailback catch a TD pass out of the backfield, that's bad. That's a FACT.

I know you have probably been drawn in by Mike Peterson's ability to talk a good game, but it will become painfully evident to you and the other peterson apologist, jock-sniffers that he no longer has the speed to play OLB at the NFL level.

If you think that Peterson is going to be able to stop Pat White (Wildcat formation), you are high - high on the fumes of Mike Peterson's jock strap.

Good day.

NOW THATS FUNNY AND I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

057 - you will get nowhere with some of these fans. Too many Mike Peterson Jock Sniffers to really get much of a debate going. But you are right, the Falcons definitely need an upgrade at the OLB position.

I think Peterson actually posts on this board under the name "Michael Who?" so it's tough for folks to be objective and recognize how slow peterson is. After Pat White blows past him for the 7th time on Sunday, some of the peterson apologists might start to come around...

Thanks for posting that article.

YOu had something until you mentioned Pat White.