Our D will be fine! and Mike Smith is a genius!

Caddieman

Now this is just my opinion but I am trying to read between the lines sort of speaking. We all know that we had a bend but don't break D last year. And it worked to a degree. We were ranked 24th in yardage given up, but were 11th in points allowed. I think this off season he went to VanGorder and said "Hey Van lets put our CBs on an Island all pre-season dial up the heat and see what we got" Why because it is pre-season. What a better time to tell if you have the right personnel to do the job. If you get torched so what! Plus you have plays on tape to teach what not to do with out losing a real game.

So what did he find out? IMO he found that he now has a stout run D and also a D that can put pressure on a QB and get some sacks. IE( all the third and longs.) He also learned that he might not have the CBs to cover on third down when he is sending the kitchen sink in those situations. In the "real" season don't look for us to be blitzing on third and long everytime. So Smith found out that the big weakness on the D is the secondary. Que TD he signs vet help at CB and guys that can be put on that Island.

Smith purposely went out there and put his secondary in the worst possible situations for a reason. He wanted to see who could man up. He wanted his secondary in the hardest situations he could find. He now has teaching film he can show his young D with out any cost to the team. Will we be running the same D in the regular season? Absolutely not. Why?

Because Mike Smith is a Genius!................IMO!!!!

I agree with you that the defense will be fine. If Ryan and the boys continue to jump on teams early in game and let our defense pin their ears back and go after the QB. The opposing teams O-line will start to get tired throughout the course of the game and with depth on the D-line thats a advantage for the Falcons.

I agree with you that the defense will be fine. If Ryan and the boys continue to jump on teams early in game and let our defense pin their ears back and go after the QB. The opposing teams O-line will start to get tired throughout the course of the game and with depth on the D-line thats a advantage for the Falcons.

You are right on time with this one as well!

I agree. I love our Run defense. I love the fact that you young players like Jerry, Sidbury, Beirmann have improved throughout the preseason, and should have an impact for us. I think that we will be able to get pressure on the Qb with our front 4 most of the time. I also found out that Jerry gets off the line the quickest out of all our Dlineman, even Abe. I also went back and looked at the Ravens game for the 1st time and some of those 3rd down completions our Dline couldnt do anything about. Most of the time when the QB completed his drop he released the ball because he 1st read was open, but if he had to find another target then it would have probably been a sack because our Dline was there.

Now this is just my opinion but I am trying to read between the lines sort of speaking. We all know that we had a bend but don't break D last year. And it worked to a degree. We were ranked 24th in yardage given up, but were 11th in points allowed. I think this off season he went to VanGorder and said "Hey Van lets put our CBs on an Island all pre-season dial up the heat and see what we got" Why because it is pre-season. What a better time to tell if you have the right personnel to do the job. If you get torched so what! Plus you have plays on tape to teach what not to do with out losing a real game.

So what did he find out? IMO he found that he now has a stout run D and also a D that can put pressure on a QB and get some sacks. IE( all the third and longs.) He also learned that he might not have the CBs to cover on third down when he is sending the kitchen sink in those situations. In the "real" season don't look for us to be blitzing on third and long everytime. So Smith found out that the big weakness on the D is the secondary. Que TD he signs vet help at CB and guys that can be put on that Island.

Smith purposely went out there and put his secondary in the worst possible situations for a reason. He wanted to see who could man up. He wanted his secondary in the hardest situations he could find. He now has teaching film he can show his young D with out any cost to the team. Will we be running the same D in the regular season? Absolutely not. Why?

I can't argue with any of this, maybe some of the players we can disagree on, but you are right about this. Smith and BVG know what they have, TD went out and got, not one, but two corners, which we needed. By mid season, this could be our starting secondary.

LCB -- Hill

RCB -- Williams

SS -- Moore (I know you don't like that one)

FS -- Coleman

WIth that said, I hope all of our players light it up and don't care who's doing the job, as long as the job is getting done and we go back to the playoffs, hopefully with a bye and home filed advantage (I know this is not realistic).

caddie

This is what I've been telling those thathave been paralyzed in fear about what they saw in preseason.

I made a few posts about us not playing man to man as a base defense, and that last year we did not have Foxworth yet so don't freak out and come unglued about the height, the man to man coverage ability and/or the current starters in the secondary becuase we have TD and the coaching staff that overcame all these same concerns on offense last year.

Sure enough, we acquire Ty Hill and Brian Williams and we start playing the base cover 2 that had us #11 in least points allowed.

How was my common sense approach treated by many of the panic stricken fans here? I was attacked for "not being a realist" as they like to suggest, yet it was them who were not looking at reality! They can cry, kick and scream alll they want but we are going to be in better shape than having the worst defense in the NFL as they've implied will happen.

caddie

This is what I've been telling those thathave been paralyzed in fear about what they saw in preseason.

I made a few posts about us not playing man to man as a base defense, and that last year we did not have Foxworth yet so don't freak out and come unglued about the height, the man to man coverage ability and/or the current starters in the secondary becuase we have TD and the coaching staff that overcame all these same concerns on offense last year.

Sure enough, we acquire Ty Hill and Brian Williams and we start playing the base cover 2 that had us #11 in least points allowed.

How was my common sense approach treated by many of the panic stricken fans here? I was attacked for "not being a realist" as they like to suggest, yet it was them who were not looking at reality! They can cry, kick and scream alll they want but we are going to be in better shape than having the worst defense in the NFL as they've implied will happen.

Yep, and JA98 has had the best camp of his career, I just hope he can be consistent. If he starts to light it up, it won't matter who is at CB because our down 4 will cause so much havoc for us.

Common sense and logic do not apply to this board. You need to be emotional in all of your posts and play madden 24/7 to be considered knowledgeable.

caddie

Yep we got a lot of fans who only listen to national media people. And the national media people only look at stats. These are the same people who predicted that we would go 1-15 last year..............So how are they doing?

Great post by the way!

I want a drink of that kool-aid. Sounds tasty. I hope you are right.

caddie

Great post caddieman.

BTW Gaz, it would be nice to read a thread someone else started without hearing you talk about how you were villified and attacked and how you were right all along. It's old and annoying. You can add something positive to a thread without turning it into another poor villified Gazoo kinda deal. Nobody cares except you, and it just makes people want to attack you. But maybe you like that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Great post caddieman.

BTW Gaz, it would be nice to read a thread someone else started without hearing you talk about how you were villified and attacked and how you were right all along. It's old and annoying. You can add something positive to a thread without turning it into another poor villified Gazoo kinda deal. Nobody cares except you, and it just makes people want to attack you. But maybe you like that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks karaka! I have noticed that positive threads are not considered............................... Sexy on here! :lol:

Yep we got a lot of fans who only listen to national media people. And the national media people only look at stats. These are the same people who predicted that we would go 1-15 last year..............So how are they doing?

Great post by the way!

Thanks Brother's Caddie and WhiteKB!

All anyone had to do was look at last year and review the ways we overcame certain concerns. Quality position coaching and teaching of the young players, good scheming to overcome personnel weaknesses, TD bringing in intelligent , quality schgeme specific players that picked up on things quickly) and they would have bee a bit more measured in their panic and doomsday fright about our season being over already.

We may still have some stuggles early on as the secondary jels, but WhiteKB is right that our DL rotation is going to be so much better than last year once they start stunting and scheming to put them in the best postion to play to their strengths. I really liked the way Jerry came on as preseason progressed.......he looks like he's a gamechanger!

We are in awesome shape, especiall with this offensive firepower!

we have been a bend but dont break d for a long long time. now there appear a ray of hope for a d with substance. i have said to all the doubters that our d will be far different then what was seen in the preseason . go d-fence

I agree my friend.

Our defense is going to be just fine...the preseason was about trying new stuff out and putting specific payers in different situations to see how they would do.

Our cover 2 will still be good and out running defense looks to be much better.

Look, if we get a little pressure from the left edge (we know the right side is locked down) and the CBs to learn how to chuck their man coming off the line to disrupt timing, our defense will be stout. With chicken armed cornerbacks that are afraid to get physical, we're screwed, but I'm confident both sides will soon realize that their meal tickets depend on screwing up timing routes.

i thought the same thing, could'nt agree more, but we added williams and hill because they really want to play man to man. i think we also need OLB's that can really rush the passer.

Look, if we get a little pressure from the left edge (we know the right side is locked down) and the CBs to learn how to chuck their man coming off the line to disrupt timing, our defense will be stout. With chicken armed cornerbacks that are afraid to get physical, we're screwed, but I'm confident both sides will soon realize that their meal tickets depend on screwing up timing routes.

Chevis Jackson and Brian Williams are both bigger CBs that play the cover 2 better than man to man. Houston did good enough as a starter last year n our cover 2 to help us be #11 in the NFL in least points allowed.

We are going to be just fine....especially as this defensive line turns things up a big notch this year. It is clear Jerry was reall coming on strong as he played each game this preseason, and regardless of what anyone sas, JA98 has improved from last year as was in the backfield a lot this preseason. John Abraham played sparingly this preseason and Babs is a great DT.....not to mention ourt backup DTs this year and infinately better than the backup DTs last year and we are in excellent shape.

i'M STOKED

Thanks karaka! I have noticed that positive threads are not considered............................... Sexy on here! :lol:

So true. This took some balls to post! But I could definitely see Smitty doing this. A few posters here and there talked about a vanilla defensive scheme or trying out some new things, but most were dismissed as clueless. I'm surprised the instant gratification impatient crowd hasn't been in this thread yet, although they do prefer to start their own threads about how and why this team will suck.

There may be some struggles early on, and I'll hate to see what these boards are like if ATL start off 0-3, but I think we'll be just fine. If they start off 1-2 or better going into the bye, watch out!

Thanks Brother's Caddie and WhiteKB!

All anyone had to do was look at last year and review the ways we overcame certain concerns. Quality position coaching and teaching of the young players, good scheming to overcome personnel weaknesses, TD bringing in intelligent , quality schgeme specific players that picked up on things quickly) and they would have bee a bit more measured in their panic and doomsday fright about our season being over already.

We may still have some stuggles early on as the secondary jels, but WhiteKB is right that our DL rotation is going to be so much better than last year once they start stunting and scheming to put them in the best postion to play to their strengths. I really liked the way Jerry came on as preseason progressed.......he looks like he's a gamechanger!

We are in awesome shape, especiall with this offensive firepower!

I believe our DL is much improved. Our secondary is week, but if we can generate enough pass rush with our front 4, we will be very hard to beat. Our front 7, regardless of rotation has done well against the run, it's just 3rd down. It's all fixable and I love our new CBs.