Our new CB

maxatlanta

Brian Williams does not have blazing speed. In some ways he is the opposite of the current starting CBs on our roster- He is a smart, tough CB that can man up with bigger, stronger recievers. He has great anticipation and loves to jump short routes and slants. He is a sure tackler, capable of playing safety when asked to. He will be an asset in the run game and when QBs are under pressure and look to his side they will definitly see him within a couple yards of the WR.

He is in a contract year so effort will definitly not be an issue.

In some ways he is the equivalant of the the Joe Horn signing. Horn lacked the speed and physical gifts of our other WR (White&Jenks). But he was a smart, tough player who knew how to practice right, find holes in a defense, catch the ball and hold on over the middle. If Williams can have a similar effect on our young CBs to the one Horn had on our WR, his on field contributions will be like the icing on the cake. Since he is younger and playing for a contract, I expect there to be a lot of icing. ;)

Not as good a Foxy, but in some ways may be an even better signing.

I agree with you, but I do think Hill can be as good as if not far better than Foxworth. He is going to take time to learn the defense and get ready to play for us, but I think he can have at least the same impact this year that Foxy had last year.

Williams is meant to bring in a good solid veteran for our young guys to learn from.

I really hope he and Hill pan out for us. Not sure what this means for Houston though.

Hopefully this lights a fire under his arse. He played like he knew he was going to start....... now he has to play like he deserves to start.

We have great depth in the secondary now.

I like the fact that we waited to pick these guys up.......... they were cheap and they know if they don't make it now..... they probably won't make it at all. Now we have a real competition in the secondary.

Brian Williams does not have blazing speed. In some ways he is the opposite of the current starting CBs on our roster- He is a smart, tough CB that can man up with bigger, stronger recievers. He has great anticipation and loves to jump short routes and slants. He is a sure tackler, capable of playing safety when asked to. He will be an asset in the run game and when QBs are under pressure and look to his side they will definitly see him within a couple yards of the WR.

In some ways he is the equivalant of the the Joe Horn signing. Horn lacked the speed and physical gifts of our other WR (White&Jenks). But he was a smart, tough player who knew how to practice right, find holes in a defense, catch the ball and hold on over the middle. If Williams can have a similar effect on our young CBs to the one Horn had on our WR, his on field contributions will be like the icing on the cake. Since he is younger and playing for a contract, I expect there to be a lot of icing. ;)

joe horn was a bag of skelatons

brian willaims is coming off of a good season and the mans just turned 30 2 months ago... hes got mulitple years left in him. Hes not like some 35 year old has been

and the moron asked to be traded so he can go to a palyoff team. we cut him he wasnt signed and we went to the playoffs last year. joe horn is a bum, an umemployed bum. im sorry but u dont have the right to be cocky when ur like a 36 year old WR that cant be that effective on teh field

joe horn was a bag of skelatons

brian willaims is coming off of a good season and the mans just turned 30 2 months ago... hes got mulitple years left in him. Hes not like some 35 year old has been

and the moron asked to be traded so he can go to a palyoff team. we cut him he wasnt signed and we went to the playoffs last year. joe horn is a bum, an umemployed bum. im sorry but u dont have the right to be cocky when ur like a 36 year old WR that cant be that effective on teh field

Joe Horn provided our young recievers with valuable insight and leadership....... he basically turned Roddy and Jenkins into valuable recievers. He was cocky yes, but I give him credit where credit is due.

Hey, good post OP. I agree. Brian W. knows the defense and is a hard working vet. That alone could be awesome for us, regardless of whether he starts or not. And he very well might start.

Another possibility: he could play on run downs while Hill plays on passing downs. Hill is ok but not great against the run (so I hear), and perhaps Williams is the opposite.

Either way, fantastic move. It is fantastic that TD has done so much so fast to strengthen the corner back position.

Joe Horn provided our young recievers with valuable insight and leadership....... he basically turned Roddy and Jenkins into valuable recievers. He was cocky yes, but I give him credit where credit is due.

just my opinion but i think petrino had as much to do with their devlopment as joe horn did

but theres really no way of knowing

Foxworth was an average CB. Just because we had other CBs that were subpar, don't make him out to be this elite CB.

Baltimore gave him over 7million/year. He was obviously better than average.

We are talking about a guy we claimed off waivers. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got him but I bet he doesn't start a game this year.

Williams was released because he was due to make 4million this season. They felt their younger players were ready so they had an opportunity to save themselves that money. He is now the most accomplished CB on our roster and will likely start as soon as Smith is satisfied that he's fitting in.

Williams was released because he was due to make 4million this season. They felt their younger players were ready so they had an opportunity to save themselves that money. He is now the most accomplished CB on our roster and will likely start as soon as Smith is satisfied that he's fitting in.

IMO, he is more likely to start at Safety than CB; however, he will probably see most of his time at NB.

I think Houston is the most likely candidate to have his position taken and that will more than likely be by Tye Hill.

In some ways I seem him as analogous to what we tried to achieve with the Von Hutchins signing ... only as you say ... with more icing.

It is Tye Hill that has a chance of panning out like Foxy ...

You just described Chevis Jackson to a tee.

This is what I've noticed about our CB crew - Hill is a smaller, quicker, less-physical corner (much like Grimes in those aspects); while Williams is a larger, more physical, able to play the slot, jump-the-routes kind of CB (exactly like Jackson).

Could we be seeing the creation of depth with Hill and Grimes @ LCB and WIlliams and Jackson @ RCB?

And what's nice about this is that Owens appears to have a combination of all of these skills. Houston? Well, never mind.