Is there a leadership problem at UGA?

papi

It appears that we have top 5 recruiting classes every year but can't play big in big games. We had the momentum after the bowl game against Hawaii and couldn't capitalize. Blame it on injuries or whatever.....just didn't get it done. Witth all these recruits we seem to keep underachieving.

Is it leadership? Could a Nick Sabin, coach from Fla, LSU or even Nutt from Ole Miss do a better job with the talent we have? Other than the secondary trying to knock out everything, which I liked, there just didn't seem to be a lot of fire in addition to all the technical problems.

Thoughts?

Are you saying that we have a leadership problem with Coach Richt leading the team? The same Coach Richt who has one of the best overall winning percentages, road game winning percentages, and out-of-conference winning percentages in all of college football?

I find this type of knee-jerk, bandwagon reaction to a loss as being really funny. One loss and all of the sudden, we're in a panic. If Coach Richt had lost 4 or 5 in a row, then PERHAPS the questioning and speculation would be somewhat substantiated, but even then, Coach Richt deserves our patience in having a bad season or two after all that he's done for this program. Coach Richt is the best thing to have happened to Georgia football since Herschel Walker.

Please whine elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Are you saying that we have a leadership problem with Coach Richt leading the team? The same Coach Richt who has one of the best overall winning percentages, road game winning percentages, and out-of-conference winning percentages in all of college football?

I find this type of knee-jerk, bandwagon reaction to a loss as being really funny. One loss and all of the sudden, we're in a panic. If Coach Richt had lost 4 or 5 in a row, then PERHAPS the questioning and speculation would be somewhat substantiated, but even then, Coach Richt deserves our patience in having a bad season or two after all that he's done for this program. Coach Richt is the best thing to have happened to Georgia football since Herschel Walker.

Please whine elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Richt and his assistants are also being outcoached right now from top to bottom. As a group they are disjointed and there's no clear picture as to what is going on. You can see it with the conflicting quotes coming from the assistant coaches and the players not sure as to why things are taking place or the purpose behind it. The only thing that has been saving this team for the past few years is superior talent in some cases. When the talent level is equal and it comes down to coaching... they've failed miserably.

It appears that we have top 5 recruiting classes every year but can't play big in big games. We had the momentum after the bowl game against Hawaii and couldn't capitalize. Blame it on injuries or whatever.....just didn't get it done. Witth all these recruits we seem to keep underachieving.

Is it leadership? Could a Nick Sabin, coach from Fla, LSU or even Nutt from Ole Miss do a better job with the talent we have? Other than the secondary trying to knock out everything, which I liked, there just didn't seem to be a lot of fire in addition to all the technical problems.

Thoughts?

Yes is the answer to your question because we do have a leadership issue with our head coach. Here are some examples. We have a qb who is our starter who is physically unable to make throws because he is playing hurt. I found this out 2 weeks ago. He won't be hurt anymore than he is, but because he is the team's leader CMR is allowing him to play through whatever pain he has because joe cox doesn't want to lose his senior season and chance to play on this team. Screw the team and the chances at this year. It would be better to make joe cox happy and show loyalty to his 5th year senior then it is to put the best 11 on the field. Now before you say maybe logan gray or aaron are not ready than that also falls on CMR. This is Logan's 3rd year and it's up to CMR and Mike bobo to have him and aaron ready. Look at what Pete Carroll does he has matt barkley ready to step in right away. You telling me Aaron or Logan are not ready by now? That's an excuse to not use them over a senior qb who has very little velocity on his passes and as you saw on saturday was very unsure of his arm. One a few of the longer passes he hesitated throwing the ball for a reason. Some dawg fans have said it's up to joe cox to say i am sorry i can't do it, but that's bull. He is a kid who wants to play and will do whatever he can. It's up to CMR however to make those tough decisions and that's the difference between CMR and Saban. There is no excuse for a hurt joe cox who is recovering from having the flu to have been on the field on saturday. None.

Another example is Mike Bobo. He completely changed our offensive play calling on saturday after that first drive. He doesn't know why . He took the blame for the offensive failures, but who cares. He is now in his 3rd full season of play calling duties, don't you know what to do by now. You go with what is working and instead he decided to change what was successful. Also we find out today they only used 3 main wrs on saturday. We had mike moore play in 55 of 60 snaps and he was very tired in the end. Bobo doesn't know why we didn't use other wrs. Mike moore said they had no idea the rotation going into the game. We have talent like wooten and marlon brown sit who could have gotten some great experience heading into the sec games. Again another coaching failure. The special teams is another example. The coaching staff has gone stale at UGA and CMR is to blame. He won't fire coaches for poor performance due to his loyalty nor will he make tough decisions and we have another Jt3 situation with a qb who can't make the throws and puts us in a very tough position offensively.

Let me start off by saying we all like CMR as the head coach. He has been very successful at UGA, but his loyalty and soft heart is keeping this team down. yes 10 win seasons are great to have every year, but that is where it stops, 10 wins. Because when those big games come they as a staff get out coach. Football is UGA's money maker for the school. UGA has been getting a top 5 recruiting class regularly so there is no reason to not get above 10 wins here and there. thinking at least every 3 years. Maybe this is where Evans needs to step in and tell CMR that changes need to be made to get above 10 wins on a more consistent basis, Evans should put some pressure on CMR and tell CMR that if he is not willing to make those changes that he will and that it could include CMR himself. The difference between CMR and the other big SEC coaches ( Saban, Miles, Meyer and Nutt) is that they don't care whose feelings get hurt. They are there to be winners and will make sure they have a coaching staff who can get the job done and will put the best 22 players on the field no matter how long a players been on the team.

As for the QB. There is no way CMR can say Gray is not ready. He has been on the team for 3 years now and should know the playbook. The offensive play calling has been soft. UGA has been a run team for years with great success but Bobo wants to make them a passing team.

Then that settles it. We should fire Coach Richt right now and his entire staff. Tuberville moved over one state by leaving Ole Miss for Auburn, perhaps he's willing to move over one more and coach Georgia. ... I kid.

I think we, as Georgia fans, should show a little more patience with regard to Coach Richt. He isn't perfect. And I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows a little bit more about his team and the health and capability concerns of his players than the rest of us arm-chair quarterbacks.

Heck, Coach Dooley went 17 years before winning a national title. Bear Bryant was a head coach for 17 years before he won his first national championship. We live in such a microwave, instant-gratification world where after only 8 years of being the head coach at Georgia, bringing in 2 SEC championships and 3 SEC east titles, and ending the year in the AP Top 10 for 5 out of those 8 years isn't satisfactory? Have we forgotten what it was like during the Ray Goff and Jim Donnan eras? Behind Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, and Bob Stoops, Coach Richt is next with the highest winning percentage of all active Bowl Division coaches.

I'm just tired of fickle fans who sing his praises when we're winning, and then when he loses, they turn right around and question his "leadership" ability.

I said it and I'll say it again: Coach Mark Richt is the best thing to have happened to UGA football since the days of Herschel Walker.

Richt and his assistants are also being outcoached right now from top to bottom. As a group they are disjointed and there's no clear picture as to what is going on. You can see it with the conflicting quotes coming from the assistant coaches and the players not sure as to why things are taking place or the purpose behind it. The only thing that has been saving this team for the past few years is superior talent in some cases. When the talent level is equal and it comes down to coaching... they've failed miserably.

Bingo!!!!

Yes is the answer to your question because we do have a leadership issue with our head coach. Here are some examples. We have a qb who is our starter who is physically unable to make throws because he is playing hurt. I found this out 2 weeks ago. He won't be hurt anymore than he is, but because he is the team's leader CMR is allowing him to play through whatever pain he has because joe cox doesn't want to lose his senior season and chance to play on this team. Screw the team and the chances at this year. It would be better to make joe cox happy and show loyalty to his 5th year senior then it is to put the best 11 on the field. Now before you say maybe logan gray or aaron are not ready than that also falls on CMR. This is Logan's 3rd year and it's up to CMR and Mike bobo to have him and aaron ready. Look at what Pete Carroll does he has matt barkley ready to step in right away. You telling me Aaron or Logan are not ready by now? That's an excuse to not use them over a senior qb who has very little velocity on his passes and as you saw on saturday was very unsure of his arm. One a few of the longer passes he hesitated throwing the ball for a reason. Some dawg fans have said it's up to joe cox to say i am sorry i can't do it, but that's bull. He is a kid who wants to play and will do whatever he can. It's up to CMR however to make those tough decisions and that's the difference between CMR and Saban. There is no excuse for a hurt joe cox who is recovering from having the flu to have been on the field on saturday. None.

Another example is Mike Bobo. He completely changed our offensive play calling on saturday after that first drive. He doesn't know why . He took the blame for the offensive failures, but who cares. He is now in his 3rd full season of play calling duties, don't you know what to do by now. You go with what is working and instead he decided to change what was successful. Also we find out today they only used 3 main wrs on saturday. We had mike moore play in 55 of 60 snaps and he was very tired in the end. Bobo doesn't know why we didn't use other wrs. Mike moore said they had no idea the rotation going into the game. We have talent like wooten and marlon brown sit who could have gotten some great experience heading into the sec games. Again another coaching failure. The special teams is another example. The coaching staff has gone stale at UGA and CMR is to blame. He won't fire coaches for poor performance due to his loyalty nor will he make tough decisions and we have another Jt3 situation with a qb who can't make the throws and puts us in a very tough position offensively.

Well said Sac. Les Miles, Saban and Urban Meyer would have won a championship with the talent we get.

Then that settles it. We should fire Coach Richt right now and his entire staff. Tuberville moved over one state by leaving Ole Miss for Auburn, perhaps he's willing to move over one more and coach Georgia. ... I kid.

I think we, as Georgia fans, should show a little more patience with regard to Coach Richt. He isn't perfect. And I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows a little bit more about his team and the health and capability concerns of his players than the rest of us arm-chair quarterbacks.

Heck, Coach Dooley went 17 years before winning a national title. Bear Bryant was a head coach for 17 years before he won his first national championship. We live in such a microwave, instant-gratification world where after only 8 years of being the head coach at Georgia, bringing in 2 SEC championships and 3 SEC east titles, and ending the year in the AP Top 10 for 5 out of those 8 years isn't satisfactory? Have we forgotten what it was like during the Ray Goff and Jim Donnan eras? Behind Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, and Bob Stoops, Coach Richt is next with the highest winning percentage of all active Bowl Division coaches.

I'm just tired of fickle fans who sing his praises when we're winning, and then when he loses, they turn right around and question his "leadership" ability.

I said it and I'll say it again: Coach Mark Richt is the best thing to have happened to UGA football since the days of Herschel Walker.

I think we have been very patient. Hes had top 10 and even some top 5 recruiting classes since he got here. Its been almost 30 years since the last national title. How much more patient should we be?

100% correct.. the wr situation is an example.. the players didn't know the rotation and bobo didn't know or remember if they even used wooten or marlon brown. they have two talented players who need experience even if just a few snaps and they don't use either player.. that's bull. cmr needs to get the coaches together to figure this stuff out period. I will use a quote from something i read earlier today:

First of all, in all the years I’ve been covering Georgia, I’m not sure I’ve seen a Bulldog team appear less prepared and out of sync than the one that took the field Saturday afternoon. That falls on the coaches.

The uga coaching staff failed miserably and to think they had all offseason to get the team ready for this. Let's hope they can turn it around and do basic communication to the players and each other for this Saturday's game.

I am so disappointed in ppl that call themselves Dawg fans. It's truly amazing to see what a loss can do to a fanbase. Take away a couple of fumbles and a few horrible persona foul calls and it's a totally different game. Are the same things being said, are the same threads being started if UGA beats OSU?

I am so disappointed in ppl that call themselves Dawg fans. It's truly amazing to see what a loss can do to a fanbase. Take away a couple of fumbles and a few horrible persona foul calls and it's a totally different game. Are the same things being said, are the same threads being started if UGA beats OSU?

There they go. If you talk bad, cause your tired of just settling and mediocrity, then your not a true fan. Sorry I want more from a team that get top 10 and even top 5 recruits each year.

How about the play calling, or the QB who couldn't hit or find open WRs after the first quarter, or the special teams who didn't stay in their lanes, or the morale of the players throughout the game. I believe all these things fall under coaching, this is not a typical loss anyway you slice it. Yes it's the first game of the season and mistakes are going to happen but it was apparent the game planning was terrible. I remember reading articles on how the staff waited til a week and half before the game to start game planning for the Cowboys, REALLY?!? We had all summer to get things in proper prospective and that's the performance we got :huh:

it would be nice to reply to what was posted above.. there are reasons why we have issues with our coaching.. bigtime reasons. CMR won't be fired, but understand if he won't fire assistants who continue to perform poorly it will cause the fan base to lose faith in him eventually.

I think we have been very patient. Hes had top 10 and even some top 5 recruiting classes since he got here. Its been almost 30 years since the last national title. How much more patient should we be?

Not to throw fuel on the fire here, but Richt hasn't been coaching at UGA for 30 yrs or did you miss that part? You can't blame him for the failings before he got here. I'm about as sick of seeing us come up short as the next guy but I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing.

Let me start off by saying we all like CMR as the head coach. He has been very successful at UGA, but his loyalty and soft heart is keeping this team down. yes 10 win seasons are great to have every year, but that is where it stops, 10 wins. Because when those big games come they as a staff get out coach. Football is UGA's money maker for the school. UGA has been getting a top 5 recruiting class regularly so there is no reason to not get above 10 wins here and there. thinking at least every 3 years. Maybe this is where Evans needs to step in and tell CMR that changes need to be made to get above 10 wins on a more consistent basis, Evans should put some pressure on CMR and tell CMR that if he is not willing to make those changes that he will and that it could include CMR himself. The difference between CMR and the other big SEC coaches ( Saban, Miles, Meyer and Nutt) is that they don't care whose feelings get hurt. They are there to be winners and will make sure they have a coaching staff who can get the job done and will put the best 22 players on the field no matter how long a players been on the team.

As for the QB. There is no way CMR can say Gray is not ready. He has been on the team for 3 years now and should know the playbook. The offensive play calling has been soft. UGA has been a run team for years with great success but Bobo wants to make them a passing team.

I'm starting to agree with this line of thinking. I'm getting tired of us getting big time talent without big time results in big games....example Georgia vs Alabama last year, Georgia vs Florida routinely and Tennessee/South Carolina being shaky. Heck, we should have blown up Arizona State on the national stage last year. We had the momentum after the bowl game against Hawaii but never could capitalize on it the following season. Somethings got to give. I sure hope we turn it around quickly. I'll just give it a wait and see since we have a tough conference and an opportunity to bounce back. I'd love to see Logan Gray. I think we need the mobility this year.

I think we want the same things but I'm starting to wonder if we are getting the productivity out of the talent we are bringing in and; moreover, how are Sabin and the other one from Florida able to come in and rise so quickly. WHY NOT US??? If we don't watch out, Tennesse will be up there with Florida and Alabama, not to mention what Auburn might do. We better find a way to get over the hump!

Richt might be the best we have had but the question is....can we do better or will he do better????

How about the play calling, or the QB who couldn't hit or find open WRs after the first quarter, or the special teams who didn't stay in their lanes, or the morale of the players throughout the game. I believe all these things fall under coaching, this is not a typical loss anyway you slice it. Yes it's the first game of the season and mistakes are going to happen but it was apparent the game planning was terrible. I remember reading articles on how the staff waited til a week and half before the game to start game planning for the Cowboys, REALLY?!? We had all summer to get things in proper prospective and that's the performance we got :huh:

I almost don't care who we lost to the draft. We're GEORGIA and there is no way we should be sub par to an OKIE state with all the great recruits we got. I just know our athletes are superior to theirs.

UNBELIEVABLE. I get madder the more I think about it.

Someone go get Greg Ried. He should have never got out of the boundaries of the state.

Apparently, this forum is filled with college football head-coaching geniuses....

That, or everyone's stayed at a Holiday Inn once.

To be honest....I think many of us are hot like bama was before Sabin, thats all. We just have high expectations and believe we should be discussed in the same breath as Texas, USC, Florida and Oklahoma. Our talent should put us in the mix every year.

Apparently, this forum is filled with college football head-coaching geniuses....

That, or everyone has stayed at a Holiday Inn once.

Most of us are pissed at being looked at as a second tier team and we want the coaches to do something about it and right now they aren't or at least thats the way it looks when this team takes the field. But you can say all you want about us putting heat on the coaches.... it obviously got Martinez's attention because he's shaped his unit up pretty quick. Several others need to start feeling the heat themselves.