Brian Williams: Most Under Appreciated Jaguar Ever?

This is about Brian Williams and the team they are referring to if obviously Jacksonville. We got a steal my friends.

On Being a Team Player: Jaguars Defensive Back Brian Williams

by River City Rage on Aug 9, 2009 3:01 PM EDT in News 14 comments

"I’m definitely excited to be here," Williams said. "I’m looking forward to contributing to the great defense here. This is a playoff team on the rise, and I want to help take it a step further." - Defensive Back Brian Williams, 3.11.2006

"Our defensive coaches loved Brian’s physical style," head coach Jack Del Rio said. "He has good size, and he has played a lot of man-to-man coverage which will enable us to open up the blitz. Mike Tice confirmed what we saw as we studied this player, and he spoke highly of Brian’s quality character."- Jack Del Rio 3.12.09

Who is this kid to whom the Jaguars just gave $10 million? Simply put, Williams is the long-term fix at right cornerback after two consecutive years of temporary solutions. -Vic Ketchman, 3.13.06

[Note by River City Rage, 08/09/09 10:09 PM EDT ]: Sometimes I write an article and realize that I've gotten away from my whole point. Here's what I'm saying in a nutshell. I like Brian Williams at right cornerback, I think we've got enough guys at FS/SS to fill the void, and people who are calling for B-Dub to move on are making a shortsighted judgement.

Going into his third training camp with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Defensive Back Brian Williams faces a challenge from every direction, despite being a flexible, reliable, and dedicated player. When the Jaguars brought in Drayton Florence, Williams learned the safety position, when Florence burnt out, Williams went right back to Corner. He's a player that's done exactly what's asked of him without complaining, demanding a trade, or becoming a locker room nusance. Yet it feels like he's universially deemed the "odd man out" in the Jaguars secondary this season.

Look closely at the situation that Williams faces as he goes through camp.

Derek Cox: Picked in the 3rd round for the price of a 2010 2nd, to justify that cost, he must become the eventual starter opposite Mathis. A "best case" situation for Williams at cornerback is for him to hold off Cox while the rookie learns to not break his ankles defending a top receiver.

In all seriousness, the most logical formation for the Jaguars would be to have Mathis and Williams on the outside with Cox learning the position in nickel situations.

Sean Considine, Gerald Alexander, and Marlon McCree: Would the Jaguars bring these guys in if they were comfortable with the situation at Strong Safety last season? Considine has played his way into the probable starting spot at SS, with Alexander gunning for Reggie Nelson. Let's not forget that Alexander isn't far removed from being a 2nd round pick. McCree adds veteran depth and not much else, but he's still another body competing at a postion that Williams used to have a hold on.

The 6 million dollar man: Brian Williams has the 2nd highest cap hit of any player this season, second only to David Garrard. (Interestingly, many of the top cap hit players are facing challenges this season, see Pashos, Tony, Hayward, Reggie, and Henderson, John). Brian is under fire from every angle and has a heavy cap hit compounding the issues.

Editoral: Yes, Brian did have an unforutnate legal misstep (back in 06) that embarassed him and the team. However, other than this incident, he's been a fantastic team player, accepting challenges and doing exactly what Del Rio asks him to. He's a solid player who has the skills to compliment Mathis at cornerback. While I'll concede that his time with the team is probably short (2010 would be my guess), for 2009 he's the 2nd best Cornerback on the roster.

Why in the world the team (and its fans) would be so willing to quickly count him out is mind-boggling. Sure, the Jaguars secondary was horrible in 2008, but to cut ties with a proven asset at the position would be foolish.

_____

So you mean to tell me TD and Smitty had a plan all along?

Really? Coach Smith was just trying out different looks during pre-season for evaluation? EVALUATION? YOU DON'T SAY!?!?!

It looks like Houston and Grimes took their final exams during this pre-season and they didn't pass with flying colors. I think the Brian Williams pickup is great. I also believe strongly that this pre-season, Coach Smith purposely left the CBs out on an island by themselves to test their ability. There was minimal safety help throughout the pre-season and we blitz heavily.

I can assure you this will not be our defense come week 1. We are not going to blitz everyone. We are going to stick to what works for us now and that's the cover 2. There will be plenty of support from the safeties and I think we'll employ a similar "bend but don't break" strategy.

Keep in mind that our defense was in the middle of the pack for offenses scoring on us last year. I honestly don't care if we give up 300 yards through the air. Keep the opponents score down and we'll be fine. I expect some great things from Williams and he will be an asset to our still VERY young CBs. Hopefully he can mentor them and give them the right mindset to improve over their performance this year. Also. Williams had his best year last year and he will provide some comfort. For those of you b!tching about our CB's heights, Williams is 5'11 (still short) but taller than what we got :lol:

BTW: the title for this thread, most under appreciated jaguar ever?" was taken from a jags site. We are in for a great season my friends. An aggresive veteran CB who also plays the run well. He won't let people get those slants as easily as Mr. Turnstile Houston. He's gonna be physical and jam receivers a the line. PERFECT solution for 2009. Home run for Smitty and TD.

LET'S GO FALCONS!!!

82 Tackles and 2 INTS last year. He will start opposite Houston/Grimes and whoever out of those two starts will be replaced in week 4 by Hill.

1e23538423e12f9d88253b3ddc7ab52e-getty-88187254db013_jacksonville_.jpg

brianw109.jpg

20081012__20081013_C06_SP13BPHOTOPAGE~p2_200.JPG

48209_Jaguars_Training_Camp_Football.jpg

Houston%20Texans%20v%20Jacksonville%20Jaguars%20qHlnaFzbW6gl.jpg

520x.jpg

901Jaguars_Dolphins_Football.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg

img.22802_t.jpg

Jacksonville_Jaguars_v_6b5d.jpg

GettyImageProxy.ashx_requestUrl_http_3a_2f_2fcache.gettyimages.com_2fxc_2f76825732.jpg_3fv_3d1_26c_3dEWSAsset_26k_3d2_26d_3d17A4AD9FDB9CF193B5CCA699E5635FF5360F977965096C6D.jpg

D-A-M-N, I love the new folks running the show :D

Not ONLY do we get an experienced corner when it looked like we were going into the season with a ton of "potential" talent at the CB spot (which does us no good THIS season), TD & Co. pull another rabbit out of the hat and bring in veteran leadership for our young, albeit, talented youngstas, but we get a veteran CB WHO ALREADY KNOWS THE SYSTEM INSIDE-OUT!!!!!

:D:D:D

And at 30, he will be around just long enough to mentor guys like Owens and Jackson while taking up the slack as they develop.

I just got a MUCH better feeling about the future of this young defense......

We have an EXTREMELY young defense, but a group of kids who have a world of potential..... Beyond that, there is a coach or a mento at all three levels of D to help bring the kids along....

1st level. Ray "Sugar" Hamilton was the Jax D-Line coach and has a very respectable resume at coaching the D Line.... :D

2nd level. Mike Peterson is here to mentor the young LB's, and he has 11 years NFL experience..... Six of which were spent in Jax. :D

3rd level. In the defensive backfield, we not only have Erik Coleman's leadership, but we have addressed a much-needed veteran player on the corner. We get Brian Williams. 7 years in the NFL, spent the last 3 in Jax. :D

While I'm sticking with my "Rome wasn't built in a day." theme, I am learning to worry a lot less...... We are DEFINATELY being run by some of the best minds in the game. I'm just gonna stop worrying, sit back and relax, and watch TD & Co. turn us from NFL laughing stock for over 40 years, into one of the best teams in the League.... Not just a team built to compete for a title, but a team built to compete for a title YEAR AFTER YEAR. :D

LET'S GO FALCONS!!!

82 Tackles and 2 INTS last year. He will start opposite Houston/Grimes and whoever out of those two starts will be replaced in week 4 by Hill.

I couldn't agree more..... :D PERFECT short-term solution while our future corners develop. And if Hill's knee holds up, two years from now the defensive backfield could easily go from being our biggest liability to our biggest asset..... Factor in the development of DeCoud and William Moore (who I firmly believe will be a Pro Bowl caliber SS)...................... Man.

This front office couldn't possibly get enough credit.

This definately takes some of the sting out of Foxworth bolting for Baltimore. :D

I've seen that article before as a Jaguar fan as people proclaiming him as the most underrapreciated. I never agreed with it, I always have viewed Daryl Smith as having that title (at least in the Jack Del Rio era).

But given your CB situation B-Dub is a good signing especially for 1 year. He can definitly be a solid player and I think he'lll be slightly better now that he's back with Smitty.

P.S. - the 1st pic of B-Dub against Ted Ginn was Pass Interference

I'm hopeful for Brian Williams - however some Jags fan put a post up saying "glad he's gone".......same thing with Tye Hill and the Rams.....

I think both were good signings - Tye Hill was just injured too much and thus Rams fans became disenfranchised with him - understandable. If Tye Hill can stay healthy - I think he will perform and we Falcons fans will like him - although his M.O. is he can cover but he cannot tackle - prepare for the "ole' " type tackles when the big running backs get in front of him.

Brian Williams - i think his question is just if he still has "it" - someone said he is 30 years old - do his legs still work as good as they used too.....

Both pickups were low risk - they will either help us or not but they cannot hurt us - good job Dimitroff and Smith! :)

I do like the move to bring in the vet but I don't think he is the savior that some are making him out to be. On most good teams he would probably be the nickel corner. On our team he will probably wind up as the #2 corner opposite Houston/Hill (when he gets up to speed). Jacksonville has basically been trying to replace him each of the last few years.

I've seen that article before as a Jaguar fan as people proclaiming him as the most underrapreciated. I never agreed with it, I always have viewed Daryl Smith as having that title (at least in the Jack Del Rio era).

But given your CB situation B-Dub is a good signing especially for 1 year. He can definitly be a solid player and I think he'lll be slightly better now that he's back with Smitty.

P.S. - the 1st pic of B-Dub against Ted Ginn was Pass Interference

He's better than what we currently have and he'll be a good mentor to the younger guys. Besides, he knows Smitty's defensive schemes already and that will get him on the field quicker--possibly starting game one.

This is about Brian Williams and the team they are referring to if obviously Jacksonville. We got a steal my friends.

On Being a Team Player: Jaguars Defensive Back Brian Williams

by River City Rage on Aug 9, 2009 3:01 PM EDT in News 14 comments

"Our defensive coaches loved Brian’s physical style," head coach Jack Del Rio said. "He has good size, and he has played a lot of man-to-man coverage which will enable us to open up the blitz. Mike Tice confirmed what we saw as we studied this player, and he spoke highly of Brian’s quality character."- Jack Del Rio 3.12.09

Quoting Tice and Del Rio in the same paragraph lowers any fans IQ 10 points immediately. Club of 3 dumaZZ includes them and Petrino. They are the raw meat coaches that ran the good staff right into the Falcons hands and chased away their leading receiver Matt Jones because he wasn't mean enough..