If we struggle...

dudouble

does anybody think if the defense struggles early in the season mike smith will take over the defensive play calling?. another thing... alot of people, including myself get pumped when we sign one of smiths old players because they were succesfull when he was there, but he's not the defensive coordinator anymore, so if the falcons just figure they would fit into the scheme better or what?

No I don't think Smith will take over the defensive play calling WHEN they struggle. This group is too young NOT to struggle IMHO. I think they sign former Jaguars just because they believe they player being signed is an improvement over what we have. Dimitroff talks pretty constantly about their philosophy of always looking to upgrade the team.

does anybody think if the defense struggles early in the season mike smith will take over the defensive play calling?. another thing... alot of people, including myself get pumped when we sign one of smiths old players because they were succesfull when he was there, but he's not the defensive coordinator anymore, so if the falcons just figure they would fit into the scheme better or what?

well thats to say van gorders on a short leash

i dont think its come to that yet

i would say yes, he will take over the D Play calling if the D is just horrid like they were vs Chargers, The FO has filled holes, M Smith has pretty much his kinda guys on this D, altho i am sure he wishes they had more exp .

but yea i could see this happening, i hope it dont, but i dont see M Smith or TD letting this season be thrown away over screen passes or 3rd and 17 Defensive Play Calling.....

In today's NFL, when a Head Coach--who needs to be focusing on the big picture in every game--has to take over the play calling from an offensive or defensive coordinator, then it's time that coordinator be replaced, as you've basically just told the players and position coaches under him you no longer have confidence in him rendering his leadership and authority impotent.

BVG made a defense work last year with old/weak players 11th in points allowed. The only relevant measure of a defense is points allowed. If a D gives up 700 yards in a game and 0 points, that team better win.

This year he's got more young talent that needs to learn the game.

You could give me perfect oils and brushes and get stick figures, or you can give DaVinci crayons and a napkin - you won't get the Mona Lisa but you could still get a pretty decent picture. Coaches and artists must have talent, but they can only do so much with the materials they are given.

i think BVG is the weakest link on the team.. the 2ndary wasnt that bad, its just BVG incompetence in calling plays that made them really stand out.

fire BVG and smith making the calls and we are probably a shoein for the SB

You have thrown a Trump Card early.

Coach Reynolds and HOF Coach Thomas has the DB's.

Should the DB's Fail, and they did, we need to look at the personel.

This of course lands in the Lap of Smitty and TD, and these guys are ultimately

responsible.

TD has taken Action.

The take on all of this is that a Team simply can Not be rebuilt in 2 drafts.

The Fastest rebuilds that have had long term results take 3 years minimum.

Last year we drafted the cornerstone Lofton.

This year we have Fixed the D Line and also got Moore.

Next year we will continue working on the CB's and O Line,

and potentially a Key FA signing.

At the end of the 2010 season we will know hands down all about BVG,

but for now for now it is too soon to tell.

i think BVG is the weakest link on the team.. the 2ndary wasnt that bad, its just BVG incompetence in calling plays that made them really stand out.

fire BVG and smith making the calls and we are probably a shoein for the SB

BVG is not the weakest link , if you was the smartest coach and made all the right calls on D and the players doesn't do their job at their assigned positions for what ever reason such as delayed reaction , not playing the ball , and missing tackles ,etc. etc. , you would might look like it is your play calling also , but Smith knows what's going with the D ,and BVG . The thing that most fans needs to understand is that Smith & BVG are on the same page in D scheme , D philosophy , D mind set, and Smith can anytime as the Head Coach over rule a play call and give BVG insight and direction , but going into a game the during the week the coaching staff evaluates their opponent and it really starts with the Head Coach and the Coordinators first .

BVG made a defense work last year with old/weak players 11th in points allowed. The only relevant measure of a defense is points allowed. If a D gives up 700 yards in a game and 0 points, that team better win.

This year he's got more young talent that needs to learn the game.

You could give me perfect oils and brushes and get stick figures, or you can give DaVinci crayons and a napkin - you won't get the Mona Lisa but you could still get a pretty decent picture. Coaches and artists must have talent, but they can only do so much with the materials they are given.

X2

Personally I have never been a big fan of BVG, but I am not a hater either.

(Nao just yet)

BVG did a respectable job with the D last year, but Smitty had his hand in it as well.

The D Line was in shambles last year.

This year it looks like the D Line has been addressed nicely, with depth.

Walker being on the PS means that we may have the D Line set for years to come.

We will have to see how the season plays out.

With the signings of some servicable players at CB we may be on the same track

for the DB's

Again we will have to see what we see.