Brian Williams Scouting Report

BlacksburgHokie

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 76 | Key

Comment: Williams has been the Jaguars starting right CB since coming to Jacksonville from Minnesota where he played for four years. He had one of his best seasons of his career in 2008 as he finished with 82 tackles and two interceptions. He is a good-sized corner with excellent agility and body control. He has above average speed and understands angles and how to keep receivers within his range. He has supple hips that he can flip to turn and run with receivers without loosing relationship. He shows good route recognition and does a good job of reading the quarterback's eyes to get a jump on the ball. He shows good body control and ball skills when in position to make a play on the ball. He likes to jump on underneath routes and does a good job of taking away slants with a good, quick inside position. If he had upper-echelon long speed he would probably be an elite corner.

---

BTW, his grade is good for 17th in the league among CBs, tied with Finnegan, McKenzie, Bodden and DHall...

He's definitely not the long term answer and ideally I'm sure the Falcons view him as an insurance policy in case Houston and/or Grimes go down in flames and need to be yanked at some point. Hopefully his vet leadership can do for our young CB's what Joe Horn did for Roddy and Jenkins the year he was here.

And about the cover 2, yes he has experience in Smitty's system and should be able to step right in if needed. And yes, we didn't see hardly any cover 2 during this preseason because Grimes and Houston were being tested to see if they could hold up under the more aggressive man to man scheme Smitty and BVG would LIKE to run. They failed, and because of that we had to go out and get 2 more CB's, and will likely still have to run way more cover 2 than we'd like to cover up for our weak man to man CB's.

I think we might see Hill starting around the same time we say Foxy starting last year; but if Williams is in the starting lineup, we might be in trouble.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_player....p;playerid=1106

Thats how we analysed him last year. He's clearly on the downside of his career, but is a better option than Tye Hill (anyone think if we knew Williams would have been available that we would have avoided Hill)

I'll be interested to see if we do what the Rams and Jags both did. Keeping our star cornerback (Houston) on one side for the entire game, while having Williams start on the base defence while kicking inside to cover the slot on nickel sets with Hill going out to the LCB role.

I like this move more than the Hill move.

I agree that if Brian had upper echelon speed he'd be elite, hist tackling has began to decline slightly the past 2 years and he has lost a step.

Those reasons on top of his 4 Million dollar salary, his 30 year old age, and youg talent in the secondary for us kept him off the roster.

I wish the best for him though in Atlanta

Perfect skills for or cover 2 which we ran last year as ot base defense....which incidentally wasn;t really employed this preseason. He also plays S which may be another reason he's here

C Jackson also has excellent cover 2 skills,

Agree, in our scheme, Chevis Jackson and Brian Williams are very good cover 2 corners. I also think Chris Owens is going to be a very good cover 2 corner. Grimes is an Ideal Nickel back. I can't wait to see Welker and Him in Man-to-man... Oh, going to that game in Foxboro on 27 Sep baby... Yea!!!!

He's definitely not the long term answer and ideally I'm sure the Falcons view him as an insurance policy in case Houston and/or Grimes go down in flames and need to be yanked at some point. Hopefully his vet leadership can do for our young CB's what Joe Horn did for Roddy and Jenkins the year he was here.

And about the cover 2, yes he has experience in Smitty's system and should be able to step right in if needed. And yes, we didn't see hardly any cover 2 during this preseason because Grimes and Houston were being tested to see if they could hold up under the more aggressive man to man scheme Smitty and BVG would LIKE to run. They failed, and because of that we had to go out and get 2 more CB's, and will likely still have to run way more cover 2 than we'd like to cover up for our weak man to man CB's.

I think we might see Hill starting around the same time we say Foxy starting last year; but if Williams is in the starting lineup, we might be in trouble.

Yea, our boys got too close to the sun this pre-season. Your sign in your sig is cool....

$4 million reasons

I just hope Our Young Guys Learn from Him and they get Better ,

Kinda like Horn did for Roddy/Jenks

So far they have been Learning from Grimes

Compared to what the market for corners was, $4M may have been a bargain. I hear they are pretty high on the kid they drafted in the 3rd round this year.

Kinda suprising considering Grant and Smith will be suspended for four games. Spicer can probably still help a team's DL rotation but it looks like we are set.

I figured he would be an improvement this year. I really think that Bierman and Sidbury are the future ends of the Falcons for a long time to come. Bierman has showed alot more already than last season. He looked pretty good last year. I just have a feeling that Sidbury is going to be an Abraham 2.0.