Year 2: From 4 Wins to Superbowl Champion...

cooperbh

Well?

Because, according to many on these boards, the rebuilding phase is long since over. Our time is now. Right now. In fact, it has been suggested that our championship window is already closing.

Are such expectations even remotely realistic? Is it reasonable to expect every hole to be filled less than two years removed from a disasterous 4-12 season? If so, then surely some of our more learned members can point to one of the many times throughout NFL history that a new FO has taken control of a disfunctional franchise and completely turned it all around in the same amount of time, right?

Right?

Well?

Because, according to many on these boards, the rebuilding phase is long since over. Our time is now. Right now. In fact, it has been suggested that our championship window is already closing.

Are such expectations even remotely realistic? Is it reasonable to expect every hole to be filled less than two years removed from a disasterous 4-12 season? If so, then surely some of our more learned members can point to one of the many times throughout NFL history that a new FO has taken control of a disfunctional franchise and completely turned it all around in the same amount of time, right?

Right?

1998 St. Louis rams were 4-12. Super Bowl champs in 1999.

2000 Patriots were 5-11. Super Bowl champs in 2001.

I came here to say that, with the amount of flux in the NFL, I bet things like that have happened a fair number of times. Only to see the first couple of posts prove it.

But you're right about one thing -- we still have a weak defensive roster. It has tons of potential, but not a lot of awesomeness right now. It was weak last year, and possibly even weaker this year, but should be looking pretty good *next* year. So we are clearly still "in the process" of rebuilding. I had hoped we were further along than it looks like we are ... but the future still looks very bright.

1998 St. Louis rams were 4-12. Super Bowl champs in 1999.

2000 Patriots were 5-11. Super Bowl champs in 2001.

**** Vermeil was hired in 1997. Superbowl came in year three.

Belichick took over an 8-8 team with a top 10 defense that had been to the playoffs three years in a row before that .500 season (including a Superbowl appearance.)

So, that's a "no, it hasn't been done," then.

The Panther situation is closer to us then the Rams or the Patriots. They had a dismal year in 2001(Our 2007). New coaching staff in 2002, they go 7-9. In 2003 they got the big free agent RB in Stephen Davis(2008 we got Turner). They also acquired Delhomme(which was leaps and bounds better than Wienke in 2001, and Peete in 2002). It's a VERY similar situation.

And so to answer his original question, we are in the same time frame as the Panthers. Year 2 of the rebuilding process is when they went, and where we are. I'm not sure if I can spell it out any further.

The Panther situation is closer to us then the Rams or the Patriots. They had a dismal year in 2001(Our 2007). New coaching staff in 2002, they go 7-9. In 2003 they got the big free agent RB in Stephen Davis(2008 we got Turner). They also acquired Delhomme(which was leaps and bounds better than Wienke in 2001, and Peete in 2002). It's a VERY similar situation.

And so to answer his original question, we are in the same time frame as the Panthers. Year 2 of the rebuilding process is when they went, and where we are. I'm not sure if I can spell it out any further.

Well, I was already aware of the teams that had made it to the Superbowl after having six or less wins two seasons before (The other two, in case you were wondering, were the '81 Bengals and '98 Falcons.)

I wanted to know which teams had actually won the Superbowl - because teams that come from nowhere only to lose that particular game tend to backslide for substantial periods of time afterward (see the '83, '84, '85, '86, '87 Bengals, the '99, '00, '01, '03, '05, '06, '07 Falcons and the '04, '06, '07 Panthers.)

On average it looks like it's year 2 after the bad year. I'd cite the Cowboys and Redskins in the 80's as examples...

The Cowboys never went to a SB in the '80's.

The team Joe Gibbs inherited in '81 didn't even have a losing record, let alone 5 or less wins. Plus, the SB the Skins won in '82 came in a strike year where the season started in November and 16 teams made the playoffs.

The Cowboys never went to a SB in the '80's.

The team Joe Gibbs inherited in '81 didn't even have a losing record, let alone 5 or less wins. Plus, the SB the Skins won in '82 came in a strike year where the season started in November and 16 teams made the playoffs.

Sorry, I was referring to the Redskins of the 80's, I should have separated that to avoid confusion.

Actually, the team he inherited went 6-10 the previous year. His first year was 8-8 and won the Super Bowl in his second season as coach...

Sorry, I was referring to the Redskins of the 80's, I should have separated that to avoid confusion.

Actually, the team he inherited went 6-10 the previous year. His first year was 8-8 and won the Super Bowl in his second season as coach...

Oops. I meant to say that the regime - not the team - that preceeded Gibbs (Pardee) didn't have a losing record. (Those teams went 8-8, 10-6 and, as you pointed out, 6-10.)

Point is, Gibbs inherited an average team that included peices like Joe Theisman, Art Monk, Dave Butz, Jeff Bostic, George Stark and a top 10 defense. Nothing close to the mess TD inherited.