Defense -Best In Depth Analysis

morehouse11

I consider myself a VERY knowledgeable and intelligent football fan/analyst and I am going to lay the law down the law on the REAL deal of the state of our defense (very in depth). Our defense is definitely the case of a Jekyll & Hyde situation!! Contrary to what some of you have said, our RUN defense is 10 TIMES better this year than last year. Which I truly believe was the NUMBER ONE priority of coach smith and TD. This is due to the fact that, you can mask pass defense sometimes with good pressure and blitzes and by dictating passing downs and distances on your opponents offenses. BUT if u cant stop the run, then there is nothing to do to mask that!!

N terms of our run defense, we FINALLY have 3 linebackers that will literally knock the snot of you, and establish a hitting presence on the field. The thing that would drive me crazy last year, was that we NEVER played the run on the opposite side of the line, meaning our linebackers would not shoot thru the holes to deliver the hits INSTEAD of letting the lineman and running backs come to them (I love Brookings heart, but he is the MAIN culprit of this!). This drove me crazy because we would never have NEGATIVE run plays which could then DICTATE the passing downs on 2nd and 3rd down. (See my point earlier). PETERSON especially is the linebacker on our team which we depend on to roam and shoot thru the gaps to make plays n the backfield and deliver the hit (he loves to play on the other side of the ball, which is probly due to his experience to be able to dissect plays faster than anyone else). Lofton is a head knocker on his own level, literally this guy is an anvil! On the tapes Ive been watching this preseason, he is outstanding in fighting thru traffic and shelding blocks inside the tackle box. He is going to be a big time run stuffer. The same is for Nicholas, when he hits u feel it!!! Nicholas will NEVER be spectacular but a very solid pro for a long time, he is very good at standing up the lead blocker to help clog the hole or outside corner, which is something Boley would NEVER do, he would always try to out juke the lead blocker (I loved Boley as a weakside LB, and I think he is def one of the best cover LB n the NFL, but we had him as a Strongside LB and his desire to do what is necessary at that position was just NOT there, ESP during a contract year!!!!!!.)

While our RUN defense is much improved, our PASS defense is literally ATROCIOUS!!! And thats saying it nicely. Couple of points:

1. Erik Coleman is NOT a strong safety!!! I repeat!!!!! He whiffs on too many inside the box tackles, I love Coleman as a free safety which is where he belongs (very cerebral and provides ON TIME over the top help!), but PLEASE remove him from strong and constantly being n the box. William Moore being hurt is KILLING us here!!!!

2. Our linebackers while they are great at the run, they need help on their pass defense. Lofton DOES NOT get deep enough or in the right passing lanes during passing downs. Teams r picking him apart on the slants and IN routes because of this. Also Peterson, is just not young enough to play in space! He still has great short burst quickness to play the run, but his flat out speed, in terms of closing on ball carriers in the open space is just not there anymore. PLEASE dont have him trying to guard Westbrook on Dec. 6th.

3. Thomas DeCoud! Seriously is just to green right now! he plays football like a freshman starting on the Varsity Team because of injury. He is too afraid to make a mistake or just too unsure of his abilities to be a playmaker on the defense, which is what EVERYONE on ur defense should be. He doesn't trust his instincts so that's why he is NEVER around the play, seriously when have u seen him provide ON TIME over the top help this preseason, NEVER!! Because he is taking too long to MAKE sure he is seeing everything right!! A WASTED SPACE on the field right now is DeCoud.

4. Brett Grimes - I give Grimes much love, physically as everyone knows he CAN NOT play receivers over 6ft in the NFL. Physically his height and strength is just TOO much of a hindrance. Any quaterback with accuracy (P Rivers) can just place the ball HIGH to a receiver and Grimes cant do anything about it. While he has a GREAT vertical, he is not strong enough or tall enough to manhandle receivers or withstand their manhandling of him to put himself in position with the receiver to showcase his vertical to make a play on the ball. SECOND problem is Grimes hands of STONE!! At his size, Grimes HAS to make gamechanging plays (INTERCEPTIONS), he can not JUST make pass breakups because that leaves the other team offense more chances. Out of 3 jump balls, Grimes will ALWAYS lose at LEAST one probly two. So if he doesnt produce turnovers which prevent the other chances, then he can NOT be a starter in this league.

5. CHRIS "F-ING" HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best for last!! This man is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!!!! Nuff said, he is terrible at run support, he HATES tackling! His does not play the ball at ALL!!! Seriously, he might be one of the worst corners in the league at playing the ball!!! U have to turn ur head around to see where it is, which he doesnt do!!! Then when he does see the ball, he refuses to make a play on it!!! LASTLY, he just IS NOT physical enough with receivers duing the routes and jamming. Think about it!!! All the best corners, get into fights or tussles with receivers ALL the time because they r constantly trying to put their hands on em. (Champ, Al Harris, Woodson, Namdi, Asante, Finnegan etc..) When have we EVER seen Chris Houston in a tussle? NEVER!!!!! U can NOT play corner in this league as a NICE GUY! Its literally IMPOSSIBLE, u have to be willing to jam guys during routes, get in their head if u r going to be a man to man corner! Chris just will NOT due to this stuff, and its frustrating to watch him suck so BAD. Honestly u can tell, that opposing quaterbacks, ESP Volek and Beck would just say, no MATTER what happens here, if i can see em or not, Im throwing the ball at WHOEVER houston is guarding! Thats pathetic!!

Please offer ur opinions on my analysis if u r of an intelligent football mind!!!

I actually agree with everything you have said. I still think that with Time Decoud can be an asset for us AT FS, but Coleman is better suited to play FS right now. I think that people are overlooking the fact that our Run Defense is playing very well and is the strength of our defense right now. I think that the Coaching staff has experiemented with replacing Peterson with Nicholas on Nickel situations, but both Nicholas and Peterson are breasts at run stopping. I am ok with Grimes for now, but Houston is hot, 3 month old garbage right now and I dont see it getting any better his confidence is gone right now and that is bad for a CB.

I actually agree with everything you have said. I still think that with Time Decoud can be an asset for us AT FS, but Coleman is better suited to play FS right now. I think that people are overlooking the fact that our Run Defense is playing very well and is the strength of our defense right now. I think that the Coaching staff has experiemented with replacing Peterson with Nicholas on Nickel situations, but both Nicholas and Peterson are breasts at run stopping. I am ok with Grimes for now, but Houston is hot, 3 month old garbage right now and I dont see it getting any better his confidence is gone right now and that is bad for a CB.

I agree our run defense looks very good, but it has got to disheartening for them to see their efforts be all for not on third down.

Hope we can fix this

5. CHRIS "F-ING" HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best for last!! This man is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!!!! Nuff said, he is terrible at run support, he HATES tackling! His does not play the ball at ALL!!! Seriously, he might be one of the worst corners in the league at playing the ball!!! U have to turn ur head around to see where it is, which he doesnt do!!! Then when he does see the ball, he refuses to make a play on it!!! LASTLY, he just IS NOT physical enough with receivers duing the routes and jamming. Think about it!!! All the best corners, get into fights or tussles with receivers ALL the time because they r constantly trying to put their hands on em. (Champ, Al Harris, Woodson, Namdi, Asante, Finnegan etc..) When have we EVER seen Chris Houston in a tussle? NEVER!!!!! U can NOT play corner in this league as a NICE GUY! Its literally IMPOSSIBLE, u have to be willing to jam guys during routes, get in their head if u r going to be a man to man corner! Chris just will NOT due to this stuff, and its frustrating to watch him suck so BAD. Honestly u can tell, that opposing quaterbacks, ESP Volek and Beck would just say, no MATTER what happens here, if i can see em or not, Im throwing the ball at WHOEVER houston is guarding! Thats pathetic!!

Please offer ur opinions on my analysis if u r of an intelligent football mind!!!

I remember when Chris first started starting, he was more aggressive with his hands on his man. I remember him getting some PI calls because he was not turn and look for the ball but still body the receiver. He looks slow right now, I think the hamstring injury is still bothering him. He doesn't have any burst.

2. Our linebackers while they are great at the run, they need help on their pass defense. Lofton DOES NOT get deep enough or in the right passing lanes during passing downs. Teams r picking him apart on the slants and IN routes because of this. Also Peterson, is just not young enough to play in space! He still has great short burst quickness to play the run, but his flat out speed, in terms of closing on ball carriers in the open space is just not there anymore. PLEASE dont have him trying to guard Westbrook on Dec. 6th.

I pretty much agree with your points, however I do have some issue with this one. Not much, but a little. Lofton is still a work in progress on passing downs, I agree. He has had problems getting deep enough, but I think he may now be dropping too deep. In the Tampa 2, which is closer to what we're running, if the MLB is too deep there is a hole in the middle of the field for the short ins and slants, and I think that is what teams are taking advantage of. The way to attack that zone offensively is with the short passes in the middle of the field. If you can hit the short passes consistently, you start to suck the MLB in some and when he's in far enough in to take away or limit the short middle routes, you bust him deep in the middle of the field.

Pretty much agree with all you've said. The lbs are hard hitting but not so hot in coverage. The scheme has something to do with this as well

In the play where Lofton just barely makes the tip to cause the incomplete, he is about 25 yards downfield and still has to leap as high as he can. There are no dbs anywhere in sight. I've seen this on several occassions. :rolleyes:

I consider myself a VERY knowledgeable and intelligent football fan/analyst and I am going to lay the law down the law on the REAL deal of the state of our defense (very in depth). Our defense is definitely the case of a Jekyll & Hyde situation!! Contrary to what some of you have said, our RUN defense is 10 TIMES better this year than last year. Which I truly believe was the NUMBER ONE priority of coach smith and TD. This is due to the fact that, you can mask pass defense sometimes with good pressure and blitzes and by dictating passing downs and distances on your opponents offenses. BUT if u cant stop the run, then there is nothing to do to mask that!!

N terms of our run defense, we FINALLY have 3 linebackers that will literally knock the snot of you, and establish a hitting presence on the field. The thing that would drive me crazy last year, was that we NEVER played the run on the opposite side of the line, meaning our linebackers would not shoot thru the holes to deliver the hits INSTEAD of letting the lineman and running backs come to them (I love Brookings heart, but he is the MAIN culprit of this!). This drove me crazy because we would never have NEGATIVE run plays which could then DICTATE the passing downs on 2nd and 3rd down. (See my point earlier). PETERSON especially is the linebacker on our team which we depend on to roam and shoot thru the gaps to make plays n the backfield and deliver the hit (he loves to play on the other side of the ball, which is probly due to his experience to be able to dissect plays faster than anyone else). Lofton is a head knocker on his own level, literally this guy is an anvil! On the tapes Ive been watching this preseason, he is outstanding in fighting thru traffic and shelding blocks inside the tackle box. He is going to be a big time run stuffer. The same is for Nicholas, when he hits u feel it!!! Nicholas will NEVER be spectacular but a very solid pro for a long time, he is very good at standing up the lead blocker to help clog the hole or outside corner, which is something Boley would NEVER do, he would always try to out juke the lead blocker (I loved Boley as a weakside LB, and I think he is def one of the best cover LB n the NFL, but we had him as a Strongside LB and his desire to do what is necessary at that position was just NOT there, ESP during a contract year!!!!!!.)

While our RUN defense is much improved, our PASS defense is literally ATROCIOUS!!! And thats saying it nicely. Couple of points:

1. Erik Coleman is NOT a strong safety!!! I repeat!!!!! He whiffs on too many inside the box tackles, I love Coleman as a free safety which is where he belongs (very cerebral and provides ON TIME over the top help!), but PLEASE remove him from strong and constantly being n the box. William Moore being hurt is KILLING us here!!!!

3. Thomas DeCoud! Seriously is just to green right now! he plays football like a freshman starting on the Varsity Team because of injury. He is too afraid to make a mistake or just too unsure of his abilities to be a playmaker on the defense, which is what EVERYONE on ur defense should be. He doesn't trust his instincts so that's why he is NEVER around the play, seriously when have u seen him provide ON TIME over the top help this preseason, NEVER!! Because he is taking too long to MAKE sure he is seeing everything right!! A WASTED SPACE on the field right now is DeCoud.

4. Brett Grimes - I give Grimes much love, physically as everyone knows he CAN NOT play receivers over 6ft in the NFL. Physically his height and strength is just TOO much of a hindrance. Any quaterback with accuracy (P Rivers) can just place the ball HIGH to a receiver and Grimes cant do anything about it. While he has a GREAT vertical, he is not strong enough or tall enough to manhandle receivers or withstand their manhandling of him to put himself in position with the receiver to showcase his vertical to make a play on the ball. SECOND problem is Grimes hands of STONE!! At his size, Grimes HAS to make gamechanging plays (INTERCEPTIONS), he can not JUST make pass breakups because that leaves the other team offense more chances. Out of 3 jump balls, Grimes will ALWAYS lose at LEAST one probly two. So if he doesnt produce turnovers which prevent the other chances, then he can NOT be a starter in this league.

WOW, you really dropped a bomb on us. So you are saying the Front seven looked better but our secondary looked bad? I don't think that view has been discussed here.

I don't disagree with that post. However, I would say that we really haven't had a look at the Run defense since P2. The Chargers had no reason to run, and the Ravens got all they wanted through the air too. I would characterize the run defense as, "apparently better, but untested."

Umm, the Chargers were running the ball at first but didnt have much success so they decided to go with what was working, the Same thing last night, both the Chargers and the Ravens are teams with good run games. Come on dude.

Umm, the Chargers were running the ball at first but didnt have much success so they decided to go with what was working, the Same thing last night, both the Chargers and the Ravens are teams with good run games. Come on dude.

I just haven't seen that many attempts on the first unit. Teams had such an easy time throwing they didn't even try to commit to the run. Everyone has their buttons. Mine is run defense. If we stuff the run, we are a playoff team no matter how bad our secondary is. If an offense passes a high percentage of the time you've always got a chance to make a big play. If a team is running at you, your done.

So, I stick by my position. I'm encouraged, but not convinced.

"I consider myself a VERY knowledgeable and intelligent football fan/analyst and I am going to lay the law down the law on the REAL deal of the state of our defense (very in depth)."

So where did this Tool run off to.

Dares the Forum and runs off !

He knew that he was gonna get beat worse than Houston !

Both teams were using there 3rd string backs. The Run Defense really hasn't been tested.

I just haven't seen that many attempts on the first unit. Teams had such an easy time throwing they didn't even try to commit to the run. Everyone has their buttons. Mine is run defense. If we stuff the run, we are a playoff team no matter how bad our secondary is. If an offense passes a high percentage of the time you've always got a chance to make a big play. If a team is running at you, your done.

So, I stick by my position. I'm encouraged, but not convinced.

I can say this with confidence after watching the game live and then re-watching the DVR recorded game on TV. Both Times ran the ball especially on first downs, but didnt have much success which resulted in 2nd & longs, sometimes there were second attempts but for the most part our Run Defense was successful or course we gave up some 1st downs but we had more 3rd downs. I am extremely happy with our Run Defense and a big part of that is due to the Dline and the LBs.

"I consider myself a VERY knowledgeable and intelligent football fan/analyst and I am going to lay the law down the law on the REAL deal of the state of our defense (very in depth)."

HA well played.

Both teams were using there 3rd string backs. The Run Defense really hasn't been tested.

Ummm please man, Sproles is not a 3rd down back, neither is Steven Jackson or Kevin Smith, and we were able to play pretty well against all teams we faced this preseason in terms of Run Defense.

Im right here clown! I do have to work a little at work! But almost everyone on here has agreed with me, duh!!! Only disagreements were one poster felt Lofton pass drops were too deep, and someone else said we need more time to disect Erik Coleman n the box. So trust me, im doing WAY better than Houston right now!!

WOW, you really dropped a bomb on us. So you are saying the Front seven looked better but our secondary looked bad? I don't think that view has been discussed here.

******, I never said the overall views havent been discussed yet, but my whole point was how in depth i went into the reasons. Cmon dude, get a clue!

I can say this with confidence after watching the game live and then re-watching the DVR recorded game on TV. Both Times ran the ball especially on first downs, but didnt have much success which resulted in 2nd & longs, sometimes there were second attempts but for the most part our Run Defense was successful or course we gave up some 1st downs but we had more 3rd downs. I am extremely happy with our Run Defense and a big part of that is due to the Dline and the LBs.

Jaymadd1 I must commend u sir, we obviously r watching the same games unlike sum others. I dont see how people can say we havent been tested on the run in week 3 when they had TONS(wasnt it like 9 for 10) of 3rd down chances, but yet they just focused on the pass. Hello people, Rivers and Volek BARELY had any incompletions, so how could they possibly KEEP getting to 3rd down if all they did was pass all night and were obviously making completions all night. Doesnt make sense!

Im right here clown! I do have to work a little at work! But almost everyone on here has agreed with me, duh!!! Only disagreements were one poster felt Lofton pass drops were too deep, and someone else said we need more time to disect Erik Coleman n the box. So trust me, im doing WAY better than Houston right now!!

Thats Mr Jackazz to you bub. :D

The Houston comment?

Okk ok you win that one,,,, for now <_<