Rev's thoughts from the Ravens game

Rev_Hal

Straight to the point…

1. The Ravens game was just not a pretty game to watch. There was one overwhelming positive about the game – IT DIDN’T COUNT!!!!!!!! Watching the #2 Ravens offense march down the field on what is (today) our #1 defense was sickening. I’m not a panic person, nor am I overly negative, but right now, this is not a good defense. Not a good defense at all.

2. I will say this right now and be as frank as I can – The Atlanta Falcons DO NOT have a problem on the defensive line. The line played relatively well. Lots of players rotated in and out, and lots of different guys made plays. Our defense definitely has issues, but DL should not be one of them. There are still some individuals who are underperforming, but the unit as a whole does not look bad.

3. Lofton is by far the best LB on this team. The problem on the LB corps is run support. Peterson and Nicholas were getting taken out the play easily last night, and have been this pre-season. The interior DL is doing a fairly good job at keeping the guards off of Lofton, But Nicholas and Peterson have to shed blockers and make plays.

4. Kroy Bierman is far and away the second best DE on the team right now. He is better than Davis or Anderson. The problem is he is playing behind Abraham on the other side. I would like to see him get reps opposite Abraham, but that will be on select passing downs.

5. At this point, I don’t care if Davis or Anderson starts at DE. In my mind, either guy is just keeping that spot warm until Sidbury is ready. I hope that happens this season, but it will probably be next year.

6. JPW is green. Very green. But at this point, I think he has more upside than DJ. JPW tucks and runs with the ball way to early, but he has a good arm. The TD pass that Ferguson dropped was a fantastic throw. DJ is in his 4th year, and if he were not a Georgia grad, this fan base would be ready to run him out of town. He has not progressed, and I don’t think will ever be productive in this league. JPW is a project, but has a lot of upside.

agree with a lot of it, but our linebackers haven't been that bad against the run. they have their plays where they f up as does everyone, but our overall run D is much, much improved. i don't think we've given up more than 30 or 40 yds in the first half of any of our preseason game and our starting D hasn't let any running game get more than like a 3.5 ypc avg on them. last year we were giving up close to 5 yds a pop in the run game.

Agreed. What I saw was good, bad and ugly, but a lot of ugly.

I don't know how much help Tye Hill will be, but hopefully he will be somewhat of an improvement.

Owens was a big disappointment to me, and from what I saw, Robert Ferguson is gone.

Agree about JPW, but I bet he ends up on the PS. Problem with that is that he can be plucked off the PS in a heartbeat by some other team.

Here's hoping that the Falcons have been sandbagging everyone in the preseason............................. :unsure:

Bierman:

Wow O Wow. On FIRE.

Will he play that good against the Pats, Giants, etc?

We do not know, but here is the key indicator.

The guy has played well in the preseason and while he has jobbed a lot of

second and third stringers, he has done what he was supposed to do.

How you practice and how you play in the preseason is what you will

carry into the regular season.

A player is emerging, and it is Bierman.

Straight to the point…

1. The Ravens game was just not a pretty game to watch. There was one overwhelming positive about the game – IT DIDN’T COUNT!!!!!!!! Watching the #2 Ravens offense march down the field on what is (today) our #1 defense was sickening. I’m not a panic person, nor am I overly negative, but right now, this is not a good defense. Not a good defense at all.

2. I will say this right now and be as frank as I can – The Atlanta Falcons DO NOT have a problem on the defensive line. The line played relatively well. Lots of players rotated in and out, and lots of different guys made plays. Our defense definitely has issues, but DL should not be one of them. There are still some individuals who are underperforming, but the unit as a whole does not look bad.

3. Lofton is by far the best LB on this team. The problem on the LB corps is run support. Peterson and Nicholas were getting taken out the play easily last night, and have been this pre-season. The interior DL is doing a fairly good job at keeping the guards off of Lofton, But Nicholas and Peterson have to shed blockers and make plays.

4. Kroy Bierman is far and away the second best DE on the team right now. He is better than Davis or Anderson. The problem is he is playing behind Abraham on the other side. I would like to see him get reps opposite Abraham, but that will be on select passing downs.

5. At this point, I don’t care if Davis or Anderson starts at DE. In my mind, either guy is just keeping that spot warm until Sidbury is ready. I hope that happens this season, but it will probably be next year.

6. JPW is green. Very green. But at this point, I think he has more upside than DJ. JPW tucks and runs with the ball way to early, but he has a good arm. The TD pass that Ferguson dropped was a fantastic throw. DJ is in his 4th year, and if he were not a Georgia grad, this fan base would be ready to run him out of town. He has not progressed, and I don’t think will ever be productive in this league. JPW is a project, but has a lot of upside.

1 & 2

I dont completely agree with #1, it was disappointing to see the secondary dissappoint again, but i did like what i say from the Dline.

3. I disagree. OUr LB have played very well against the run all preseason, it is actually a plus that our Run defense is playing well because we are playing to pretty good run teams in Miami and Carolina right off the bat.

4 & 5

I like what i am seeing out of Beirmann, he looks good and looks to be a promising player at RDE. I agree with #4 i do believe that both JA98 and Davis are keeping the spot warm for Sid. He didn get any sacks but he applied real pressure to the QB from the LDE spot all night.

I don't know how much help Tye Hill will be, but hopefully he will be somewhat of an improvement.

Owens was a big disappointment to me, and from what I saw, Robert Ferguson is gone.

Agree about JPW, but I bet he ends up on the PS. Problem with that is that he can be plucked off the PS in a heartbeat by some other team.

Here's hoping that the Falcons have been sandbagging everyone in the preseason............................. :unsure:

I've said it before but I definately think they have been sandbagging Kelly. He had position on the CB on the INT but DJ couldn't get the ball over his shoulder. Why, if a young receiver is being evaluated, do you throw one pass to him? Something's up! BTW, Jerry's play is awesome and Sid isn't far behind. This D will look very different come mid season.

Bierman has something that I have only seen in Abraham (regular season). He plays like he is on fire. He doesn't jog when RB passes him. I remember last year watching him run left and then right across the entire line while everybody else looked in slow motion to make the tackle. Sadly I realize this isn't a popular name and far too many opinions are out there on his performance but Brooking always played with passion. He kept running full speed when many others had alligator arms trying to make the play. I will take a less talented player with big passion anyday. I wonder if Kroy could change his name to Rudy.

i think the only part of our defense that is good is the run stopping front seven. i dont know what else to expect when the RBs arent breaking huge runs on our 1st team d. yea the Ravens 2nd team O scored on us but we held their 1st team O and our 1st team our was just as obsolete on the first series. if you really wanna see a porous front line then watch a Panthers game right quick.

but on to beating the dead horse again: OUR CORNERS SUCK!!! i would some much say it is the safeties fault because they are normally getting beat 1v1 not over the top with safety help. i know everybody is hoping Tye Hill does something (which i think will be relatively good seeing that we only gave up a 7th rounder) i liked him when he came out. i really think in a couple years our corners will witness a complete overhaul if they dont step up. chris houston drives me up a wall more than i thought Grimes would. maybe if you bench both then they would get the picture that they are expendable. just like JA98, its obvious he plays better coming off the bench

JPW would be completely safe on the PS .... there are better QB's with more upside that are free agents. Frankly I would rather pick one of those up to develop than to waste any time on JPW.

I dont think our run support is the problem. If it was, then we wouldnt be putting offenses in third and long. I like what I see out of our run defense. The problem is, offenses are attacking our weak points, and of course our weak points are on the outside with the corners. Houston has just been embarrassing. Is he injured? I thought he started camp with an injury, but either way, he looks like an undrafted rook out there.

I'm watching the replay.

The pass interference call on Grimes was BS. If there was interference on the play, it was on the Ravens' receiver.

Chris Houston is not having a good game, but then again the secondary as a whole doesn't look good. I don't know if it is the playcalling or just lack of effort.

The D-line is playing well even without Abe. I think when Abraham is in the lineup we'll see even more improvement, Abe is a game-changer.

Can't say much about the offense considering the second/third unit is now in. 1st team looked good before the sack.

Let's see how long it takes Tye Hill to get up to speed and if he can make the type of contribution that Foxworth did last year.

JPW would be completely safe on the PS .... there are better QB's with more upside that are free agents. Frankly I would rather pick one of those up to develop than to waste any time on JPW.

When are you people gonna realize that you don't give up a practice squad slot to a fourth quarterback? Those slots are too valuable.

When are you people gonna realize that you don't give up a practice squad slot to a fourth quarterback? Those slots are too valuable.

In theory, you could give it to your #3 QB, cut DJ, keep JPW on the PS and use the spot on the 53man roster for another special teamer.

It's a little gamble, if somebody picks JPW and Ryan gets hurt, but as far as I know the Colts usually only keep 2 QBs on the 53man roster

I think you misunderstood my post .... I don't really think JPW is worth a PS spot. Just like I don't think DJ is worth wasting a roster spot.

They should both be on the street looking for work tomorrow. We should either go with 2 QB's, or pick up a QB with more upside than either of those 2 have to hold the clipboard as the 3rd QB.

I was responding to someone else that thought another team would "snatch" JPW off the PS. Now that's just comical ...... :lol:

Bierman has something that I have only seen in Abraham (regular season). He plays like he is on fire. He doesn't jog when RB passes him. I remember last year watching him run left and then right across the entire line while everybody else looked in slow motion to make the tackle. Sadly I realize this isn't a popular name and far too many opinions are out there on his performance but Brooking always played with passion. He kept running full speed when many others had alligator arms trying to make the play. I will take a less talented player with big passion anyday. I wonder if Kroy could change his name to Rudy.

Bierman definately has a motor. And as far as Brooking, this board has been overly harsh on him for years.

Bierman:

Wow O Wow. On FIRE.

Will he play that good against the Pats, Giants, etc?

We do not know, but here is the key indicator.

The guy has played well in the preseason and while he has jobbed a lot of

second and third stringers, he has done what he was supposed to do.

How you practice and how you play in the preseason is what you will

carry into the regular season.

A player is emerging, and it is Bierman.

He will get a lot of playing time with the DL rotation system. I wish RE and LE skills were interchangable.

i think the only part of our defense that is good is the run stopping front seven. i dont know what else to expect when the RBs arent breaking huge runs on our 1st team d. yea the Ravens 2nd team O scored on us but we held their 1st team O and our 1st team our was just as obsolete on the first series. if you really wanna see a porous front line then watch a Panthers game right quick.

but on to beating the dead horse again: OUR CORNERS SUCK!!! i would some much say it is the safeties fault because they are normally getting beat 1v1 not over the top with safety help. i know everybody is hoping Tye Hill does something (which i think will be relatively good seeing that we only gave up a 7th rounder) i liked him when he came out. i really think in a couple years our corners will witness a complete overhaul if they dont step up. chris houston drives me up a wall more than i thought Grimes would. maybe if you bench both then they would get the picture that they are expendable. just like JA98, its obvious he plays better coming off the bench

Go back and watch the Baltimore opening drive. We gave up too many yards on the ground with our starters vs. the Ravens bench.

Go back and watch the Baltimore opening drive. We gave up too many yards on the ground with our starters vs. the Ravens bench.

I have to disagree here, but i will go back and watch it tonight, but we mainly gave up yards through the air on 3rd downs my friend.

At half time is was only like 40 yards on the ground, so how does that equal too many yards on the ground