Just wonder what everyone thinks TD should do?

Zenduke

I've been a long time fan and a member of the Boards since Reeves was here. Since I joined this is really the first time that I've felt that the team is something to really be excited about. Don't get me wrong...I love the Falcons, their wins and loses decide how my week goes during the season. But....

We've been in the black pit of doom for a really long time. Never having a winning season back to back can do that.

But when TD and Smith got here with a plan I became really excited. They seemed to have an Idea about what they wanted in a player and for the first time the whole country has a new found respect for a team that never really got any.

But everyone is still unhappy....why?????

They told you they were going to build from the inside out. Welcome Peria Jerry.

We have a Kid at DE that is not living up to his billing. Welcome Beirmann and Sidbury

We have two Corners that don't seem to be very good. Welcome Owens and Middleton. He even got a young CB in Tye Hill that never had the chance to be good due to injuries and playing on a poor team.

We had a defense last year that was ( I hate this type by the way) the "bend don't break" defense. TD and Smith knew that our defense wasn't what they wanted so they went younger and faster and picked 7 defensive players out of 8 in the draft.

Eveyone on the boards act like they HAVE to do something NOW. Guys....they did. Look at the draft.

they've stuck to the plan and yes I'm sure we want to go undefeated this year and win the superbowl but as they said...this is a process.

We've been so bad the past 40 years but I really believe that the reason was the "Get wins quick " schemes that the teams had. Going nuts and picking up old, over the hill players just for a quick fix isn't in TD's plan. ( If that was the case Brooking and Malloy would still be here.)

The Braves of old won 14 division titles in a row because they built up their farm system and went young. Let them grow as players and then picked up a good to great Free agent once a year.

Well....we have a young pool of talent and picked up one great TE this year. (Turner was last years free agent pick up) We'll probally pick up another really go free agent next year. I'd much rather win the Super bowl in two years and be feared for ten. Then win the Superbowl this year and go 5-10 the year after.

I know everyone wants to have a winning season this year to break the "curse". I do too. But if we're over 9 wins for Ten years by going 8-8 this year then I'll take it.

point is... relax enjoy the ride. I want them to play well and I'll yell in the moment if we play bad...every fan does. But the bottom line is this team is getting better. We'll be the team like the Patriots and Steelers. The team that everyone else looks at their schedules and puts a "L" next to the day that they play the Falcons with out a thought. of hesitation. I will happen.

I've been a long time fan and a member of the Boards since Reeves was here. Since I joined this is really the first time that I've felt that the team is something to really be excited about. Don't get me wrong...I love the Falcons, their wins and loses decide how my week goes during the season. But....

We've been in the black pit of doom for a really long time. Never having a winning season back to back can do that.

But when TD and Smith got here with a plan I became really excited. They seemed to have an Idea about what they wanted in a player and for the first time the whole country has a new found respect for a team that never really got any.

They told you they were going to build from the inside out. Welcome Peria Jerry.

We have a Kid at DE that is not living up to his billing. Welcome Beirmann and Sidbury

We have two Corners that don't seem to be very good. Welcome Owens and Middleton. He even got a young CB in Tye Hill that never had the chance to be good due to injuries and playing on a poor team.

We had a defense last year that was ( I hate this type by the way) the "bend don't break" defense. TD and Smith knew that our defense wasn't what they wanted so they went younger and faster and picked 7 defensive players out of 8 in the draft.

Eveyone on the boards act like they HAVE to do something NOW. Guys....they did. Look at the draft.

they've stuck to the plan and yes I'm sure we want to go undefeated this year and win the superbowl but as they said...this is a process.

We've been so bad the past 40 years but I really believe that the reason was the "Get wins quick " schemes that the teams had. Going nuts and picking up old, over the hill players just for a quick fix isn't in TD's plan. ( If that was the case Brooking and Malloy would still be here.)

The Braves of old won 14 division titles in a row because they built up their farm system and went young. Let them grow as players and then picked up a good to great Free agent once a year.

Well....we have a young pool of talent and picked up one great TE this year. (Turner was last years free agent pick up) We'll probally pick up another really go free agent next year. I'd much rather win the Super bowl in two years and be feared for ten. Then win the Superbowl this year and go 5-10 the year after.

I know everyone wants to have a winning season this year to break the "curse". I do too. But if we're over 9 wins for Ten years by going 8-8 this year then I'll take it.

point is... relax enjoy the ride. I want them to play well and I'll yell in the moment if we play bad...every fan does. But the bottom line is this team is getting better. We'll be the team like the Patriots and Steelers. The team that everyone else looks at their schedules and puts a "L" next to the day that they play the Falcons with out a thought. of hesitation. I will happen.

Are you asking this messageboard to put things in proper context/perspective?

Answer: That will NEVER happen here - forget it! B)

This post just made my day. I love hearing the positive thinking and someone with a calm head on them. Thank you for posting this. :D

What I respect most about them is that they won't take a player if they don't fit the mold of what they are trying to build. It's something that every team knows they should do, but when off-season comes and the hype machine starts about certain players (Fat Albert), teams and GMs can't themselves and end up handcuffing themselves.

While we may have to endure growing pains and holdover players on defense for another year I would rather be patient and get it right than to take a an aging player who doesn't fit the scheme just to be marginally better for one year and then have to go out and find somebody else and start over.

A great defense is built by putting together young players who fit your scheme and letting good coaches teach them the way you want them to play. It takes time, but once we get it built, it is suistainable by drafting new guys to learn as backups and take over when older players walk.

It's nice to finally have a FO and coaching staff that I trust to the job right.

Why do people keep starting threads like this? If someone is unhappy they will be unhappy and pleading with them to change their minds is ridiculous. The reality in the NFL is that what appears to be genius today may appear moronic in a couple of years. While I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt I think treating them as football gods is a little premature. We are one of 32 teams competing to build our roster with the best players. What makes you think that TD got the players he really wanted?

I think the total faith in TD crowd is just as dumb as the doom and gloomers. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? At this point I think TD is very smart so he is not prone to make many mistakes but it is not like he has unlimited control over who we can get.

Why do people keep starting threads like this? If someone is unhappy they will be unhappy and pleading with them to change their minds is ridiculous. The reality in the NFL is that what appears to be genius today may appear moronic in a couple of years. While I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt I think treating them as football gods is a little premature. We are one of 32 teams competing to build our roster with the best players. What makes you think that TD got the players he really wanted?

I think the total faith in TD crowd is just as dumb as the doom and gloomers. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? At this point I think TD is very smart so he is not prone to make many mistakes but it is not like he has unlimited control over who we can get.

People...such as myself write these treads because as an attempt to give a view point that counters those that are ready to flip out due to two seasons during a rebuilding era. I wrote this thread to remind some that just because we had a good season last year that doesn't mean we're not in the rebuilding mode.

"Pleading" I've reread what I wrote and don't recall any pleading and yes I think TD knows more by far then any of us and trust that he knows what he's doing. I'm sure that he will make a mistake but on a whole his moves have been spot on.

I have one God whom I worship, people I give respect. As a GM he's (so far) earned the respect as a good GM from me. I don't apologize in having faith in a respected GM that has so far built this team with a purpose and stuck to his plan.

If you don't like it ...don't read it

They seemed to have an Idea about what they wanted in a player and for the first time the whole country has a new found respect for a team that never really got any.

Unfortunately this message board has degraded into a place where very little real football discussion goes on. Everything is about insulting anyone with a differing opinion or bashing the players and team. Reactions tend to be very knee jerk rather than rational.

Exactly. We drafted a lot of talent and we brought in a guy (for a bag of chips and a Coke) with 1st round talent who has had some bad luck on the injury front. People need to give the guys we have a chance (especially the ones we just aquired) before we start blowing things up. Besides, making wholesale changes to our defense a week before the regular season guarantees we will struggle since the new additions won't be ready to play in our scheme for a while.

Think about Foxworth last year, we brought him in and it took quite a few weeks before he was even ready to be on the field for us.

Again, exactly! The board has whined and complained for year about the organizations approach of "quick fixes" (Price, Hartwell, etc). They said we need long term solutions. Well now we have long term solutions but it is going to take a while for those solutions to develop. Sorry, long term solutions take time, that is just how it is.

You would think they'd have learned their lesson with guys like Patrick Kerney. I remember after his second season half the board was calling him a bust and wanted us to "cut our losses" and get rid of him. I'm glad they didn't get their way since Kerney turned out to be one of the best DEs we have ever had.

But the bottom line is this team is getting better. We'll be the team like the Patriots and Steelers. The team that everyone else looks at their schedules and puts a "L" next to the day that they play the Falcons with out a thought. of hesitation. I will happen.

I don't want one more good year... I want a consistently winning team. One that you can go into every seasons saying there is no reason we can't make the playoffs. I think we are well on our way to building that but that is something that takes time.

People...such as myself write these treads because as an attempt to give a view point that counters those that are ready to flip out due to two seasons during a rebuilding era. I wrote this thread to remind some that just because we had a good season last year that doesn't mean we're not in the rebuilding mode.

"Pleading" I've reread what I wrote and don't recall any pleading and yes I think TD knows more by far then any of us and trust that he knows what he's doing. I'm sure that he will make a mistake but on a whole his moves have been spot on.

I have one God whom I worship, people I give respect. As a GM he's (so far) earned the respect as a good GM from me. I don't apologize in having faith in a respected GM that has so far built this team with a purpose and stuck to his plan.

If you don't like it ...don't read it

They are still going to flip out. Because there is a game tonight by this time tomorrow there will probably be 100 new doom and gloom threads. This board will be drowning in it.

I agree with you. I would MUCH rather have a consistently winning team for many years, than to sacrifice that for this year. And I believe we are truly on the path to long-term DOMINANCE, because of TD's leadership. However, I did find out, watching that Chargers game, that our defense is not nearly as good right now as I thought it was. That's my fault for thinking it was better than it is. It means that we either accept that this year is a "rebuilding year" for the defense, or we make some moves. Now that the initial disappointment has faded, I can actually accept the idea of this being a rebuilding year for the defense. The O is still awesome, and we'll still win a fair number of games because of it. I now think between 6 and 9 wins (so very possibly not breaking the "curse"). I would still like to see one or two moves to shore up the defense, but not at the expense of the long-term plan.