Forbes List of Most Valuable Teams

iDash

How much money would one need to wave in front of Blank to buy into the team?

Im wanting to say in early 2000's it was $5 mil per percent. Joe Gibb's hat 5% ownership, and had to sell it so he could coach the Redskins again, and I believe it was for 25mil. This is off memory though.

Im wanting to say in early 2000's it was $5 mil per percent. Joe Gibb's hat 5% ownership, and had to sell it so he could coach the Redskins again, and I believe it was for 25mil. This is off memory though.

If that's still the rate, that isn't too bad. Based on the value now, it would be closer to 80M per 1%. Now worth it. I'll spend my 80M elsewhere :lol:

I really did too. It is kinda depressing to think that we are less valuable than the Lions and The Rams. But I think the franchise is headed in the right direction.

I don't think it is the stadium, I think that it has alot to do with a school up the road that holds 98,000 and another one down the street but I don't know what they hold

Nah, the Falcons have been hovering around 28-30 for several years. Their stadium deal blows in terms of bringing in revenue for the league since it's owned by the state of Georgia.

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner.....

Until the debt service is paid off on those bonds used to build the Dome, the Falcons will stay in that 28-30 range. Back in 1988, Rankin Sr. signed off on receiving $4M annually from the GWCC in lieu of revenue from the club seats and luxury boxes. It looked like a good deal back then because little terms like 'revenue streams' and 'unrestricted free agency' were foreign languages in the league. But when everyone and their grandmothers built new stadiums or refurbed their old ones and given sweetheart deals which included keeping the $$$ from the suits and club seats, the Falcons were left in the dust.

Hmmm, 8-10,000 club seats going for $2-3k a pop per year plus over 250 suits which were sold for $10-100k a year; you do the math on how much $$$ the Falcons missed out on because of Rankin's short-sightedness.

team Value1$856 mil

Arthur Blank

Atlanta Falcons

are owned by Arthur Blank (Net Worth: $1.2 billion),

who bought them in 2002

for $545 mil.

Player-costs-to-win ratio8 128

Coach Mike Smith

Metro area population: 5,376,000

Revenue per fan: $17

Sport: Portion of franchise's value attributable to revenue shared among all teams. Market: Portion of franchise's value attributable to its city and market size. Stadium: Portion of franchise's value attributable to its stadium. Brand Management: Portion of franchise's value attributable to the management of its brand.

The skinny

Led by rookie QB Matt Ryan the Falcons took the league by surprise last season, posting an 11-5 record and qualifying for the post-season. But that was not enough to overcome the loss of home town favorite Michael Vick and the recession. The Falcons drew just over 500,000 fans to the Georgia Dome last year — down 6% from 2007 — ranking 25th in the NFL overall. Also, Delta Air Lines, one of the team's bigger sponsors, decided not to renew its contract this March. Given this backdrop, it is easy to understand why owner Arthur Blank sold a small piece of the team to four investors in July. Blank's franchise has maxed out its valuation at the Georgia Dome and his chances of getting a new stadium are close to zero.

Major corporate sponsors are Anheuser-Busch, Home Depot (nyse: HD), Coca-Cola (nyse: KO), Verizon Wireless, Georgia Power (nyse: GAT).

Media Partners

Preseason TV: WXIA

Radio: 92.9 Dave FM

National TV ratings:9 19.5

Historical Snapshot

Dates are when valuations were published; figures for most recently completed season.

1-Yr Value Chg. -2%

Ann. Value Chg.2 7%

Debt/Value3 32%

Revenue4 $214 mil

Operating Income5 $28.2 mil

Player Expenses6 $129 mil

Gate Receipts7 $45 mil

Facility Information

Georgia Dome

Owner: State of Georgia

Year Opened: 1992

Capacity: 71,228

Cost To Build: $210 mil

Concessionaire: Levy Restaurants

Average Ticket Price: $64

Revenue and operating income are for 2008 season and net of revenue sharing and stadium debt service.

1Value of team based on current stadium deal (unless new stadium is pending) without deduction for debt (other than stadium debt).

2Current team value compared with latest transaction price.

3Includes stadium debt.

4Net of stadium revenues used for debt payments.

5Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.

6Includes benefits and bonuses.

7Includes club seats.

8Compares the number of wins per player payroll relative to the rest of the NFL. Postseason wins count twice as much as regular season wins. A score of 120 means that the team achieved 20% more victories per dollar of payroll compared with the league average.

9Average 2008 rating in local market for regular season games from Nielsen.

NA: Not applicable.

Team Logos Courtesy NFL.

Photos: Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images; Kevin Cox/Getty Images; Getty Images

* Rank

* Team

* Current Value

* 1-Yr Value Change

* Debt/Value

* Revenue

* Operating Income