Chris Owens

hawkeye

I really think they want Owens to be a starter. TD wasn't scouting him for 2years for nothing. I think the only reason he is not the starter

now is because he is a rookie. I don't know or care who he will replace, but Houston or Grimes are on their last leg. They will work with

them just to start the season but as soon as one of them starts to play bad they will be benched for Owens. Look at the quote from Smitty

today. I REALLY think they want Owens in there.

“In the secondary we want to continue to get a good look at Christopher Owens,” Smith said. “Chevis Jackson will not only play nickel in this ball game, but he’ll also get some snaps at corner.”

That little snippet lets you know what was on the coaches tape.

Smitty and TD are expanding their search for corners.

It may be a team game but somebody has to be out on

that island by themselves. Chevis will compete and he has good

size, Owens and Hill give us some options.

That little snippet lets you know what was on the coaches tape.

Smitty and TD are expanding their search for corners.

It may be a team game but somebody has to be out on

that island by themselves. Chevis will compete and he has good

size, Owens and Hill give us some options.

If I had it my way I would start Chevis and Owens.

Maybe, but maybe not. Remember, the 4th PS game is usually used to look at younger guys. You keep your starters out to keep from getting them hurt, and to rest them for the opener. So his quote might simply mean that this is a good game for taking a look at Owens and Chevis.

I definitely do believe that they are high on Owens for the long term (and so am I). You gotta think that they got Hill for a reason too. So right now I bet neither Grimes nor Houston is key to their long-term plan, though that could change.

I have a feeling that Houston will start the majority, if not all of this season, regardless of his play

the organization feels that he has what it takes to be a good corner...I just wish he would show it a bit more on the field

I think they used to believe that, but the Chargers game changed their mind. I know, some would say that's too much for the brain trust to base on one preseason game ... but it looks to me that TD lost faith in him based on that one game. And if that's true, then TD is probably right, because TD is not going to be emotional and moody about it, he is going to be analytical. So I'm speculating that TD saw something fundamental that a highly adept talent scout would be able to pick up on, that is wrong with Houston's game, and based on seeing that, TD has "realized" that Houston does not have what it takes to be our starter. Something that can't be fixed with motivation or better coaching. And that's why I think TD went out and got Hill.

If I had it my way I would start Chevis and Owens.

I would keep chevis at nickel and start owens and houston and send turk to get grimes and his playbook no matter how bad houston played he is better than grimes but if the coaches don't want to throw owens out there then let hill start since he has experience

Whomever has the most awareness on the field will get the positions. Whomever understands whre the ball is, and what thier assigned responsibility is during a game will win out. Who can mirror a reciever while having presence of mind will always defend more balls. Man, how we long for INT's and Batted down Balls. So far, Owens shows the best awareness skills reacting to runs and being around the ball. For a rookie just beginning, he has shown us flashes of starting material. Easy for us to speculate as an armchair CB though.

I would not be surprised if Owens were tapped game one with Hill on the other side. I won't be surprised at anything.

Still, though, we have to remember that Grimes did not really have a bad game. He only gave up 2 passes and one was a push off.

Of course, there's a problem with that line of reasoning -- they did not throw to Grimes' side of the field BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE TO DUE TO HOUSTON'S SIDE OF THE FIELD BEING ALMOST A SURE THING! He.ll, I wouldn't have thrown anywhere else either with the unbelievably high 3rd down conversion rate they were getting.

I can see Grimes having a chance to hang in there. Grimes will give up a lot of completions, due to height, size, and physicality. But he will also get his hands on a fair amount of balls, and some of them will be turnovers. So net result might be that he can hold down the job. Maybe not pro-bowl, but at least somewhere around average.

That's why I think Grimes will be out there game 1. And Houston will be out there until Tye Hill is ready. And if either player comes on super strong in the first few games, this might change.