How fast things change

Atlsport

I was listening to Sirius earlier today and they took a call from a Ravens fans. The caller pointed out that last year it seemed to him that Flacco was always in Ryan's shadow, ever since the draft where Ryan was drafted first. His question was whether Flacco would have another good year or maybe hit the sophomore slump.

Jim Miller (the former qb) took the call and his answer was a little surprising. Miller said that he felt that Flacco would have a great year, but part of his explanation was interesting. He felt that Ryan was the one with more weapons around him now in 09. The reason that is so surprising is because with the exception of Gonzalez, Ryan has the same 'weapons' around him as he did last season, but the difference then is that going into the 08 season, the overwhelming sentiment was that Flacco was the one with more weapons as compared to Ryan, and that would be why Flacco would have the better year. The rest of course is history, but does anyone remember that last year? We were the ones lacking the weapons, Ryan would have to make due with White and the unproven Turner. Fast forward to one year later basically the same team offensively save one huge addition, and we're the ones with the firepower.

Miller went on to say that Flacco had more upside potential for a better overall career than Ryan, because of being more mobile than Ryan and having the stronger arm. I'm not arguing those comparisons but I don't reach the same conclusion. Ryan has better overall in-game "stuff".

It just goes to show how nobody really has any clue how things will shake out. It seems that alot of you get really upset if a writer or commentator doesn't expect great things out of the team, likewise alot out there get overly giddy if someone anticipates a playoff spot for them.

Face it folks, their outlooks arent worth much of anything whether they predict a good season/career or a not so good one.

It's going to be good to see them (Ryan and Flacco) head to head, even if for just one series.

Yes this is the case. Year after year i sat here on this board watching people post stuff about our receivers being horrible because they couldn't get open or catch passes from YKW. Now look. We have a real QB and the same receivers everyone hated are some of the best in the league. What a difference one player can make.

Kudo's

Great post!! I wish Flacco and Ryan both all the best. They will be forever linked, but to say who will be better or have the better career is anyone's guess. This does remind me of the 98 draft when people were fighting over who would be better Manning or Leaf. Many said that Leaf would definitely have the better career. Now we see how that turned out. :lol:

Yes this is the case. Year after year i sat here on this board watching people post stuff about our receivers being horrible because they couldn't get open or catch passes from YKW. Now look. We have a real QB and the same receivers everyone hated are some of the best in the league. What a difference one player can make.

Yep.

I was listening to Sirius earlier today and they took a call from a Ravens fans. The caller pointed out that last year it seemed to him that Flacco was always in Ryan's shadow, ever since the draft where Ryan was drafted first. His question was whether Flacco would have another good year or maybe hit the sophomore slump.

Jim Miller (the former qb) took the call and his answer was a little surprising. Miller said that he felt that Flacco would have a great year, but part of his explanation was interesting. He felt that Ryan was the one with more weapons around him now in 09. The reason that is so surprising is because with the exception of Gonzalez, Ryan has the same 'weapons' around him as he did last season, but the difference then is that going into the 08 season, the overwhelming sentiment was that Flacco was the one with more weapons as compared to Ryan, and that would be why Flacco would have the better year. The rest of course is history, but does anyone remember that last year? We were the ones lacking the weapons, Ryan would have to make due with White and the unproven Turner. Fast forward to one year later basically the same team offensively save one huge addition, and we're the ones with the firepower.

Miller went on to say that Flacco had more upside potential for a better overall career than Ryan, because of being more mobile than Ryan and having the stronger arm. I'm not arguing those comparisons but I don't reach the same conclusion. Ryan has better overall in-game "stuff".

It just goes to show how nobody really has any clue how things will shake out. It seems that alot of you get really upset if a writer or commentator doesn't expect great things out of the team, likewise alot out there get overly giddy if someone anticipates a playoff spot for them.

Face it folks, their outlooks arent worth much of anything whether they predict a good season/career or a not so good one.

It's going to be good to see them (Ryan and Flacco) head to head, even if for just one series.

I feel that way with our D this year. By the end of the season our defense is going to surprise a lot of people including people here on the board.

Great post!! I wish Flacco and Ryan both all the best. They will be forever linked, but to say who will be better or have the better career is anyone's guess. This does remind me of the 98 draft when people were fighting over who would be better Manning or Leaf. Many said that Leaf would definitely have the better career. Now we see how that turned out. :lol:

I'm not sure how things will pan out in the future, but if we're to believe that Flacco had more tools to work with last season, then Ryan certainly accomplished more in equaling Flacco's regular (W-L) season success, despite having the lesser arm, mobility and offensive support. Maybe that's why he took the R.O.Y.

..oh and I had seriously forgotten when Leaf came into the league...Imagine that!

I feel that way with our D this year. By the end of the season our defense is going to surprise a lot of people including people here on the board.

I hear you, we did make more changes on the defensive side though. I'm expecting improvement out of them, but not as much as the offensive did in one year. As a unit there's more room for them to improve than to slip. Forcing SD into several 3rd and longs is encouraging, allowing them to be converted is draining.

On a side note, I'm not really superstitious and I'm a lightning doesn't strike twice type but I'm not really crazy about playing the Ravens in preseason. At least ever since 2003. :ph34r:

This is the one thing i hate about "potential to be better"....... If that's their thinking.... JaMarcus Russell has more potential to be better then Tom Brady......... J.Rus is more mobile and have a better arm...

Joe Flacco is a good QB .... I think he is going to be a really good QB in this league...... Matt Ryan is a better QB tho......

Everyone wants to throw out Matt Ryan has weapons but lets throw out the fact that Joe Flacco has the 2nd best Defense in the league...