My opinion of how to stop Miami's wildcat

the wildcat is based on two runners...in miami's case ronnie brown and ricky williams. if i were a defensive coordinator and i saw miami lining up in their wildcat formation, i would set my OLB's to time their blitz with the snap of the ball. the big weakness that the wildcat has is you know when the ball will be snapped i.e. when ricky williams makes it to the LG...to me that is a big big way to exploit this formation. to be able to time a blitz knowing when the ball is snapped will give a defense the ability to be in the back field unabated to the HB.

thoughts on this please...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just play the running lanes, stick to your assignment and don't overpursue. Baltimore exhibited that in that game against them.

The Wildcat just takes advantage of assignment confusion by the defense.

i didn't catch this game but i can imagine what they were able to do with their d.

tx for the comments everyone...some of you think pat white will get some action in his option package?

the key will be know were your suppose to be and be where your suppose to be

saftey's keep your eyes in the back field and help with run support and be will be fine i say make sure bierman sidbury jerry and babs is on the field for speed to run them down they should see alot of action

the wildcat is based on two runners...in miami's case ronnie brown and ricky williams. if i were a defensive coordinator and i saw miami lining up in their wildcat formation, i would set my OLB's to time their blitz with the snap of the ball. the big weakness that the wildcat has is you know when the ball will be snapped i.e. when ricky williams makes it to the LG...to me that is a big big way to exploit this formation. to be able to time a blitz knowing when the ball is snapped will give a defense the ability to be in the back field unabated to the HB.

gap control. Just don't bite

Atlanta wont be able to stop the Wildcat. We will keep running it all game long. We will average at least 5 yards per carry.

Your defense will get tired, hands on their hips, looking toward the sidelines for answers and there wont be any from your coaches.

Your team will have to take the beating like a man. Hope that your offense can get a first down or two to give your guys a breather.

Atlanta wont be able to stop the Wildcat. We will keep running it all game long. We will average at least 5 yards per carry.

Your defense will get tired, hands on their hips, looking toward the sidelines for answers and there wont be any from your coaches.

Your team will have to take the beating like a man. Hope that your offense can get a first down or two to give your guys a breather.

I'd be excited if you ran wildcat all game. We're pretty good at stopping the run... Please don't pass on us. We suck...

Just play the running lanes, stick to your assignment and don't overpursue. Baltimore exhibited that in that game against them.

The Wildcat just takes advantage of assignment confusion by the defense.

exactly. its like defending the option. Hitting your man regardless is how i was taught. it will deter them from going to them again.

You guys have no idea on how to stop the wildcat. What happens when Ronnie pulls up and throws it? Bunch of Armchairs

:lol: First off Ronnie Brown probably won't be the one running it for them this season, I would think Pat White. 2nd, we will still have people covering the receivers. If Ronnie Brown can throw it accurately enough to beat us all day then we have more problems than the wildcat.

Here is how you stop the Wildcat IMO. Put your biggest LB on the real QB and up in his grill. If the QB(Pennington) tries to go down field jack him up as hard as you can, punish him! Coaches hate to see the QB get jacked up. If Pennington tries to reverse back to get the ball to pass, have you guy follow him in his back pocket. If he gets the ball your LB will be right there to JACK HIM UP!

The DEs should split out a step or two and there first read is contain. LBs will fill the gaps. FS spy on the Wildcat QB. Zone every where else! That will stop it!

This thread is exactly why the Wildcat is a big advantage for Miami.. Because what it does is it makes teams spend so much time practicing against it, that they don't practice for the regular Miami offense enough, and the new wrinkles Miami will be throwing out there with Pat White running it.

You guys love to think it was just the Wildcat that beat New England last year. That is far from the truth.. The Wildcat had nothing to do with Miami going all the way down the field to the 3 yard line at the beginning of the game for a long drive....

The Wildcat had nothing to do with Brown's 15-yard TD run for Miami's 2nd TD of the game.. Miami's O-line totally blew the Patriots off the ball 5 yards back on that TD, and NE has studs on their D-line like Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour and Ty Warren.

Maybe you guys need to watch that New England-Miami game again to see that Pennington threw for 12 straight completions that had NOTHING to do with the Wildcat.

Don't believe me ? See for yourself.

1st Half

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=23m634x&am...phins&hid=7

2nd Half

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=1z7wwg&amp...phins&hid=6

It wasn't just the Wildcat that beat New England last year.. Miami has played New England better than any team in this decade. Miami is 8-10 against NE this decade and we have split with NE in 4 of the last 5 seasons.. The only year NE swept us was in 2007 when we were 1-15. Take that 1-15 season away and Miami is 8-8 versus NE in this decade.... Every other year besides 2007, Miami and the Pats have split the season series over the past 5 years. We always play New England well.

That is a very important factor some of you forget...

And the Wildcat had nothing to do with Miami's defense DOMINATING the Patriots and holding them to just 200 yards of offense.... Miami only ran the wildcat for 6 plays in that game.. And usually only run it in 4 or 5 plays a game.. If teams knew they would make the playoffs running a formation for just 5 times a game, everyone would do it........ The Miami Dolphins are about a lot more than just the Wildcat.

:lol: First off Ronnie Brown probably won't be the one running it for them this season, I would think Pat White. 2nd, we will still have people covering the receivers. If Ronnie Brown can throw it accurately enough to beat us all day then we have more problems than the wildcat.

So my post still stands. Ronnie or Pat , and let me tell ya we DO NOT want to see Pat running it.

This is exactly why the Wildcat is a big advantage for Miami.. Because what it does is it makes teams spend so much time practicing against it, that they don't practice for the regular Miami offense enough, and the new wrinkles Miami will be throwing out there with Pat White running it.

You guys love to think it was just the Wildcat that beat New England last year. That is far from the truth.. The Wildcat had nothing to do with Miami going all the way down the field to the 3 yard line at the beginning of the game for a long drive....

The Wildcat had nothing to do with Brown's 15-yard TD run for Miami's 2nd TD of the game.. Miami's O-line totally blew the Patriots off the ball 5 yards back on that TD, and NE has studs on the D-line like Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour and Ty Warren.

Maybe you guys need to watch that New England-Miami game again to see that Pennington threw for 12 straight completions that had NOTHING to do with the Wildcat.

Don't believe me ? See for yourself.

1st Half

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=23m634x&am...phins&hid=7

2nd Half

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=1z7wwg&amp...phins&hid=6

It wasn't just the Wildcat that beat New England last year.. Miami has played New England better than any team in this decade. Miami is 8-10 against NE this decade and have split with NE in 4 of the last 5 seasons.. The only year NE swept us was in 2007 when we were 1-15.. But every other year Miami and the Pats have split the season series over the past 5 years. We always play New England well.

That is a very important factor some of you forget...

And the Wildcat had nothing to do with Miami's defense DOMINATING.... Miami only ran the wildcat for 6 plays in that game.. And usually only run it in 4 or 5 plays a game.. If teams knew they would make the playoffs running a formation for just 5 times a game, everyone would do it........ The Miami Dolphins are about a lot more than just the Wildcat.

It is a beautiful thing to watch the Wildcat. The Falcons fans believe in their team no matter what is shown. The Fins are a very physical team and the Falcons will find that out next week. The Falcons have some nice offensive weapons, but so does Miami. This game will be a must win for the Fins who have the toughest schedule in the NFL this year. I think it will be a slugfest that Miami will win 24-16. The difference will be the Miami pass rush and run defense disrupting the Falcons offense behind the line of scrimmage.