ALRIGHT CHICKEN LITTLES - let's apply a little common sense

MagnusXXIII

The defense played well on first and second downs. They have buttoned up their run defense which is priority number 1. Lewis and Lofton are beasts. Jerry flashed why we drafted him in the first round.

As Chris Mortenson said this morning, the issue was our secondary on third down.

Of those first team third downs;

One was a push off (offensive interference).

One no one could have defended.

But if we could have held on just one of the remaining third downs ... the complexion of the game would have been very different.

Worst case the game would have been 14-10 in the first half, and best case, with the momentum swing and getting the ball longer ... we probably would have left the first half with the lead.

Do not discount the impact that a Tye Hill could make just by preventing one man-on-man reception.

The defense played well on first and second downs. They have buttoned up their run defense which is priority number 1. Lewis and Lofton are beasts. Jerry flashed why we drafted him in the first round.

As Chris Mortenson said this morning, the issue was our secondary on third down.

Of those first team third downs;

One was a push off (offensive interference).

One no one could have defended.

But if we could have held on just one of the remaining third downs ... the complexion of the game would have been very different.

Worst case the game would have been 14-10 in the first half, and best case, with the momentum swing and getting the ball longer ... we probably would have left the first half with the lead.

Do not discount the impact that a Tye Hill could make just by preventing one man-on-man reception.

If If's and But's were candy and nuts, what a merry Christmas we would have........

Its rare that an Offensive pass int is called, Grimes was out-muscled and this is not a surprise, he is not physical enough to play bigger receivers

Houston is physical enough but if no pressure is applied he looks like he is searching for a bird that flew into the sun when the ball hits the air

This is not the time to work with scenarios the season opener is a week away

the reality is the first team lost the game, John Hill wont make a difference until some time after the bye week, this doesnt change who we are coming up against in the first three weeks

http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/sport...falcons-photos/

photo # 2

grimes cant touch the ball even if he jumoped off a chair

but 3rd down and long can be fixed we know what plays will and want work as long as that not called again we will be straight

If that is the same play I am thinking of, I watched it half a dozen times (DVR slo mo). Grimes matched him step for step. The ball was in the air, Grimes was right in his hip pocket, the receiver pushed off and what you are seeing is Grimes readjusting and trying to make a play. So he is now jumping diagonally instead of vertically.

I am in no way making excuses for him and do not deny the pass coverage is bad but I am trying to get the facts straight. Also people get a little to caught up in a players height when the average WR to CB difference is maybe 4 inches. Look at various players vertical leaps they can more than compensage for that. Also it is a matter of timing the jump.

It doesn't help that we played against Phillip Rivers, who last time I checked wasn't some run of the mill QB...heck if SD was willing to give him 90 million then I suppose he might know what he was doing out there. In response to this thread though, I agree, Grimes wasn't schooled by any means, but we will all know what the coaches think by week 3...you can count on our best secondary being out there for NE.

There is no telling how much yardage RWhite got by pushing off. They all do it. The cb has to be able to handle it a bit better, but most of the time the wr wins that sort of thing. The rules lean that way.

I sense a little panic from TD and Coach Smitty. They took a gamble on Hill and his injury history, at the same time releasing a player with the same problem.

Even if Hill holds up physically, it will be several games into the season before he starts more than likely.

If If's and But's were candy and nuts, what a merry Christmas we would have........

Its rare that an Offensive pass int is called, Grimes was out-muscled and this is not a surprise, he is not physical enough to play bigger receivers

Houston is physical enough but if no pressure is applied he looks like he is searching for a bird that flew into the sun when the ball hits the air

This is not the time to work with scenarios the season opener is a week away

the reality is the first team lost the game, John Hill wont make a difference until some time after the bye week, this doesnt change who we are coming up against in the first three weeks

In reality, the Atlanta Falcons beat the San Diego Chargers.

One more third down stop in the first half would have made a big difference in perception (IMO).

There is no telling how much yardage RWhite got by pushing off. They all do it. The cb has to be able to handle it a bit better, but most of the time the wr wins that sort of thing. The rules lean that way.

I sense a little panic from TD and Coach Smitty. They took a gamble on Hill and his injury history, at the same time releasing a player with the same problem.

Even if Hill holds up physically, it will be several games into the season before he starts more than likely.

Hill is our best risk vs. reward option.

The push off was on the first drive and on first down, so it's irrelevant to the third down discussion.

the third downs on the second drive went like this

3rd and 13 - Rivers hits the receiver on a deep in route over Lofton's head and in front of Houston.

3rd and 17 - Vincent Jackson makes that circus catch. Houston let him get some space but play would have been hard to stop regardless.

3rd and 18 - Falcons bring an 8 man blitz that is slow as molasses and Rivers executes a perfect deep out against Houston.

3rd and 24 - Screen pass that goes for a TD because Lofton took a bad angle and a bunch of other guys weren't able to make a play.

Maybe all this stuff is correctable. Let's hope they correct it.