What Rams fans are saying - Good Rams Forum Link

g-dawg

Linkage to ClanRam Forum - St. Louis Rams

some selected comments:

He just went from starter a week or two ago to 7th round talent? Ouch.

OUCH. 7th rounder? How the mighty have fallen.

So who starts now? Wade?

Well I guess we won't be having anymore Hill v. Cromartie discussions. This puts the final nail in that issue although there really wasn't much else to say.

However, methinks that this is really not all about Hill but a certain unheard of rookie named Quincy Butler who has, by most reports, been playing well in TC and the pre-season games.

Heh. Pretty funny don't ya think? Tye Hill beat out by an undrafted rookie and traded for a 7th round pick. Ouch!! He might be needing some self-esteem counseling sessions in the near future.

WHAT SAY YE?

wow wtf a 7th rams are stupid

Remember how excited Linny was when they acquired Hill? My neighbors can probably remember the loud string of expletives originating from my house when we traded down passing on Haloti Ngata and Broderick Bunkley to acquire Hill. Well .. at least we got a peanut butter sandwich for him ..

You don't think this remotely has the smell of a salary cap cut? Look at the people cut by the Rams that took a significant 2009 salary cap hit to free up space for 2010. Tye Hill is just the most recent. The only (aged and expensive) player on the roster still that fits that mold is Marc.

Atlanta is likely to make the playoffs this year again. We received one of the last picks in the draft for the guy. That's basically equal to cutting the guy.

A little bit disappointed that we just got a 7th rounder in exchange...

This is a good point. Hill was a never aggresive when it came to laying hits on people and he just wasn't going to fit into the type of defense Spags is looking to put together.

I'm still a little shocked though, as others have mentioned, he went from starter to cast off in an instant.

I always liked Hill and held out hope that once healthy he'd come around, but it wasn't to be.

wow hes was the second best corner we had and getting a 7th round really

is ******** at least a fourth would have been fair...oh wait maybe we should put in the 7th round at cornerback this season ****en da

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

I don't think Tye Hill's 2010 cap charge of $2.X million was so restrictive to this organization that they just had to get it off the books now. We have no idea what the cap is even going to look like in 2010. I really don't see the logic in concluding Hill was cut to save money next year when his cap charge next year wasn't likely to be exuberant at all.

To me, the more obvious and more logical answer is that Hill, who was carried over from a past regime, showed during camp and the preseason that he did not fit what the new regime wanted at the position. Hence why they didn't demote him, didn't (to our knowledge) try to renegotiate his deal, but just got rid of him completely.

And no, the Rams will not be cutting Bulger at this point, as much as some may want to see it.

I really didn't see this coming, i thought Spags would have given Hill a few regular season games and starting CB. Shame i really thought Hill was going to be a great corner after that first game against Denver.

I think we definitely needed to move on but I don't like that we only got a 7th round pick out of him. I was thinking at least a 4th, especially considering he was a 1st round draft pick. I guess the ties we have with Atlanta is also another reason as to why they got Hill so easily...

When he wasnt getting burned he was getting hurt. His first season was pretty decent, but the last 2 were horrible he was outperformed by every CB on the roster all the way down to Quincy Butler, so why keep him? We are going to be extremely young in the secondary, but I really like our veteran safety combo along with Bartell which will help those younger guys out. They could use some more seasoning Hill was just taking away reps when he had no future with the team.

bottom-line, here is my impression from Rams fans on Tye Hill and the trade:

1. Talented player

2. Could not stay healthy

3. Fans have no use for talented players who cannot stay healthy

4. Feels like a bust to them because he was a 1st round pick - for that - he was a BUST!!!

5. Not a good hitter/tackler

6. Rams did not get enough back in the trade (most wanted a 4th rounder)

7. Tye Hill was their #2 CB before the trade but did not fit Spags system (he likes bigger corners)

Look, if you were a Rams fan, you too would be disgusted with Tye Hill - he has worked out for the Rams like Jamaal Anderson/DE has worked out for the Falcons - only difference is Tye Hill has mainly not worked out because of chronic injuries - kind of like Laurent Robinson for us - who ironically we traded to the Rams.

bottom-line, here is my impression from Rams fans on Tye Hill and the trade:

1. Talented player

2. Could not stay healthy

3. Fans have no use for talented players who cannot stay healthy

4. Feels like a bust to them because he was a 1st round pick - for that - he was a BUST!!!

5. Not a good hitter/tackler

6. Rams did not get enough back in the trade (most wanted a 4th rounder)

7. Tye Hill was their #2 CB before the trade but did not fit Spags system (he likes bigger corners)

Look, if you were a Rams fan, you too would be disgusted with Tye Hill - he has worked out for the Rams like Jamaal Anderson/DE has worked out for the Falcons - only difference is Tye Hill has mainly not worked out because of chronic injuries - kind of like Laurent Robinson for us - who ironically we traded to the Rams.

IMO this makes the Laurent Robinson trade look a lot better. Had we did a straight up trade I would have been fine with it. If Tye Hill can stay healthy I expect him to be a solid # 2 CB... maybe even a #1. People are making too much of his size, he is average size for an NFL CB.

People get so hung up on the word bust they don't realize that it is not really the player who is the bust, it is the transaction and it does not have to be anyone's fault. If you pay for something that is not delivered the transaction is a bust and it remains a bust until you do get it. Even if he turns into one of the best corners in the league he will still be a bust for them.

Here is my view on the whole situation that I am kind of shocked people aren't thinking about also. Lets see, the Rams the past 5 years, ummmm, yeah, where did they draft every year? # 2 over all? We aren't talking about one of the better consistent teams here, we are talking about a team that is so far down the grave, they muster up two wins a year. What I am trying to get at, is that probably no player on the Rams performed well at all anyways. Maybe Stephen Jackson has been their only consistent player but the whole culture of that team was shot to ****. Obviously, a lot is wrong with an organization, when you only win 2 games and you have your starting QB healthy. **** we even won 4 games in 2007 and people still think that was the worse year of any football franchise.

All I am saying is this, put a guy on a different team, different culture and an opportunity, you might find a real gem. Randy Moss from the Raiders to Patriots even comes to mind.

I like our position better after the trade. Owens, Middleton, Hill are

and maybe Chevis can push these starters to defend better. They

give us options. I expect slippage from one or the other and maybe

both if they continue to play like they did against the Chargers. We

have changes we can make. My gut feeling is that Hill is being brought

in to start as soon as he gets his feet on the ground and gets familiar

with what we are doing.

After the intial excitement of signing Hill and watching the St Louis game again. I watched Hill through the 1st half. Three missed tackles gave up the TD, looked as though Tye thought run play and Gonzalez went by him. His run support was the most bothersome

would watch a tackle rather than assist. He did have good coverage on Jenkins on an overthrown ball. Still like the signing but just not as much.

After the intial excitement of signing Hill and watching the St Louis game again. I watched Hill through the 1st half. Three missed tackles gave up the TD, looked as though Tye thought run play and Gonzalez went by him. His run support was the most bothersome

would watch a tackle rather than assist. He did have good coverage on Jenkins on an overthrown ball. Still like the signing but just not as much.

yeah, I think Tye Hill is a decent cover corner but he does not like to tackle - I don't think Mike Smith is gonna like that part of Tye Hill's game.

I like our position better after the trade. Owens, Middleton, Hill are

and maybe Chevis can push these starters to defend better. They

give us options. I expect slippage from one or the other and maybe

both if they continue to play like they did against the Chargers. We

have changes we can make. My gut feeling is that Hill is being brought

in to start as soon as he gets his feet on the ground and gets familiar

with what we are doing.

Middleton wont even make the final 53. He is very raw and hasnt gotten jack for PT. He also was behind the ball in practices.

Chevis falling off is my big suprise. I expected he and Houston to be locks for the CB spots this year.

Chevis lack of speed is his biggest problem, I still think Houston will be a starter, He tends to stick close to his man, his play in the game against SD was uncharacteristic, he would have atleast been on his man, then allowing him to catch the ball over his head. But the way he played looked like he had some mental errors or the hamstring or groan is still bothering him. Looked like he was scared to get run by, so he was playing far off his man. That shows sign that he is not confident in his speed or burst right now. I think he will play better when the season begins.