Im wondering if Gonzalez might hurt Ryan's development

Jedi-Falcon

Ive watched Ryan the past few games, and it seems Ryan is eye-balling Gonzalez way too much. Not making his 3rd and 4th reads, just looking for Gonzalez and if he's not open then throwing to the next read. The result being short passes and not looking down-field like he did last year.

I think Ryan might be under pressure to get Gonzalez the ball too much, and that can be a bad thing right now. Gonzalez needs to be a 2nd or 3rd option only, unless the play is specifically designed for him. I think there may be some internal or external pressure for Ryan to deliver to the Hall-of-Famer this season, and that could backfire at times.

I think Ryan just needs to remember to relax and be himself and let the flow of the game dictate what he should or should not do. I do not want to see Ryan & Gonzalez become another Romo & T.O. situation.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on get real........Ryan threw the ball to Roddy White on dang near every 3rd down and whatever. Do you really think adding Gonzo could hurt?

Gonzalez provides an easy safety-valve for a QB. Look at the crap QBs that relied on him all these years in K.C. - those QBs couldnt hit their 3rd or 4th read if their lives depended on it. They just got comfortable dumping it off to Gonzalez, which is one of the reasons why he has racked up the yardage he has in his career.

Ryan is young and still learning, and my concern is that he may fall into this trap of zeroing in on his Tight-End too much. Especially when that Tight-End is the best that has ever played in the NFL.

yea ryan's still looking roddy's way more than anyone else.

Basically......I dont think adding anything to this offense could hurt his development. Not adding Gonzo would of been worse. I mean last year he literally threw the ball to Roddy on just about every 3rd down. A good amount of his interceptions came from him throwing the ball to Roddy White. I almost started to think that defenses were being stuburn by not anticipating that he was going to Roddy on 3rd downs. If you see Ryan throwing to and looking for Gonzo in preseason it could just mean that he's trying to get a game fill for where and how he can get the ball to him. He knows Roddy, Jenkins, and Peele, so now he needs to get that game speed comfort with Gonzo. The only thing that will hurt Matt Ryan's development would be if he wore underwear 10x too small..........no homo.

Ryan has done a decent job of spreading his throws this preseason. If he is throwing a lot to Gonzalez it's because the two of them are working on some stuff. If anything Gonzo is going to help Ryan not hurt him.

I think it's an adjustment Ryan needs to be aware of. Having Gonzalez is a luxury, but should not be over-used.

We get the best receiving TE of all time and you start complaining.

What would you prefer? That we get the least production in the passing game out of our TEs in the NFL again?

Stop whining like a little girl.

Tony Gonzalez is the missing piece to this offense and he's going to catch a lot of 3rd down conversions and touchdowns. He's going to help us win a lot of games.

That is why you play.

To win.

Not to cry about stories you make up in your pessimistic head

Its Preseason, stats dont count and Ryan just trying to get used of having Gonzo around.

He has a year with White, Jenkins and Fin already, so now he forcing those throw to Gonzalez just to trying new things out.

We shouldnt over blown the whole situation. When season comes around, Matt going to back to his old reading style.

We get the best receiving TE of all time and you start complaining.

What would you prefer? That we get the least production in the passing game out of our TEs in the NFL again?

Stop whining like a little girl.

Tony Gonzalez is the missing piece to this offense and he's going to catch a lot of 3rd down conversions and touchdowns. He's going to help us win a lot of games.

That is why you play.

To win.

Not to cry about stories you make up in your pessimistic head

Gonzalez has maybe 2 years left in him. Ryan has maybe 15. I want Ryan to not feel he has to rely on his TE every pass play - which is a habit young QBs in the NFL get into (see Michael Vick). And the Falcons are paying Gonzalez a lot of money to play for 2-3 years, so put yourself in Ryan's shoes. Imagine being a 2nd year QB with a newly-acquired HOF TE on your Offense. Imagine the pressure to make all that money being paid to that TE seem worth it to the same organization that is PAYING YOU 72 MILLION DOLLARS. I think there could be a dilemma here.

Gonzalez has maybe 2 years left in him. Ryan has maybe 15. I want Ryan to not feel he has to rely on his TE every pass play - which is a habit young QBs in the NFL get into (see Michael Vick). And the Falcons are paying Gonzalez a lot of money to play for 2-3 years, so put yourself in Ryan's shoes. Imagine being a 2nd year QB with a newly-acquired HOF TE on your Offense. Imagine the pressure to make all that money being paid to that TE seem worth it to the same organization that is PAYING YOU 72 MILLION DOLLARS. I think there could be a dilemma here.

This is exactly what Im talking about. Stop making up delusional irrational paranoid theory and get a life. The only dilemma is the one youve created in your head. Gonzalez is Ryan's new weapon and they're working on developing a feel for each other, timing, chemistry, something youd know about if you ever left your moms basement and played a sport

This is exactly what Im talking about. Stop making up delusional irrational paranoid theory and get a life. The only dilemma is the one youve created in your head. Gonzalez is Ryan's new weapon and they're working on developing a feel for each other, timing, chemistry, something youd know about if you ever left your moms basement and played a sport

The BOLD print above. That's all you needed to type.

The rest was unnecessary, and just makes me want to tell you to go do something that might get me suspended from here for a while. SO I wont say that.