A guy I wish the Falcons would have taken

84White32Quizz

Elvis Dumervil. Drafted in the 4th rd. He has racked up 81 tackles 65 solo 26 sacks and 6 forced fumbles, he also has a pick and 5 passes deflected. I believe our D-line is fine as is BUT what do you think it would cost to put Mr. Dumervil in a Falcons uni? I'm just saying he's production would definately help our D, AND most of all our DB's.

Would of been nice but I do like how he showed us that Orlando Pace is going to be ripe when the Bears come to Atlanta. We need a gateway to Cutler because he's dangerous when he has time.

On a sidenote I think it makes sense to take a look at anyone that Broncos cut......their decision making skills are very poor and they might be cutting good players lol.

Coming out of college the main knock on him was a lack of height. That might of been the reason we overlooked him. But I still think Bierman and Sidbury is our future so no thanks.

Dont forget that Marcus stepped on his leg in college which pretty much put a nail in the coffin that would have been his career in the league. Michael Vick probably told the FO to steer clear of him or else.

If we signed him as a free agent during the upcoming offseason, it would be awesome.

But, really, he's not that great of a run stopping DE. Basically we get another John Abraham, except more explosive and stronger. That being said, I would love to see him in a Falcons uni.

I am at serious odds here and now I need to know where this is coming from. Not you necessarily because I think this is just a misunderstanding by what a DE is. Up until WE (the falcons) brought in Anderson and he didn't register a sack I had never heard of a run stopping DE except in the 3-4.

Having played only Semi-Pro and been around Pro-Football I have have always been lead to believe that the DE's primary job was to rush the passer and play contain on the run and while its more difficult to find a solid pass rusher (Abe, Freeney, Mathis, etc) the run defense can be taught while only techniques against LT (star tackle) and the RT can be taught to get to the passer.

Enlighten me to this thinking of run stopping DE's in a 4-3.

I am at serious odds here and now I need to know where this is coming from. Not you necessarily because I think this is just a misunderstanding by what a DE is. Up until WE (the falcons) brought in Anderson and he didn't register a sack I had never heard of a run stopping DE except in the 3-4.

Having played only Semi-Pro and been around Pro-Football I have have always been lead to believe that the DE's primary job was to rush the passer and play contain on the run and while its more difficult to find a solid pass rusher (Abe, Freeney, Mathis, etc) the run defense can be taught while only techniques against LT (star tackle) and the RT can be taught to get to the passer.

Enlighten me to this thinking of run stopping DE's in a 4-3.

LE's are usually your "run stopping" DEs though. I know what you mean but thats normally the case. I believe its all abou the "blind side". Both are expected to rush the passer of course.

LE's are usually your "run stopping" DEs though. I know what you mean but thats normally the case. I believe its all abou the "blind side". Both are expected to rush the passer of course.

Exactly. The reason that I am tired of seeing "run stopping DE" is because its misleading. Its as though there is no expectation. I agree that the best height weight is 6'5" +, and 275+ for a LDE, but by the same token if you can groom a guy who plays big to stop that run and he's pushing 5-6 sacks...what did you lose? Kerney was a LDE...LOL, sad but true. That was his position. He was the primary p-rusher for years. He rotated his first two instead of starting. On the Right was Brady Smith...I was confused, but he was considered the other guy...LOL. Kerney made plays and had the QB scared and the guy would turn to face DT, RE, or ROLB.

I don't feel that we need Dumervil. I like the rotation...with less Anderson...but I got what YOU mean.

Exactly. The reason that I am tired of seeing "run stopping DE" is because its misleading. Its as though there is no expectation. I agree that the best height weight is 6'5" +, and 275+ for a LDE, but by the same token if you can groom a guy who plays big to stop that run and he's pushing 5-6 sacks...what did you lose? Kerney was a LDE...LOL, sad but true. That was his position. He was the primary p-rusher for years. He rotated his first two instead of starting. On the Right was Brady Smith...I was confused, but he was considered the other guy...LOL. Kerney made plays and had the QB scared and the guy would turn to face DT, RE, or ROLB.

I don't feel that we need Dumervil. I like the rotation...with less Anderson...but I got what YOU mean.

I miss Kerney......I wish Bierman would watch film of him and maybe even try to workout with him in the off season.

I miss Kerney......I wish Bierman would watch film of him and maybe even try to workout with him in the off season.

Biermann has that "it" factor that says LDE all over him. He's at 260 and he's a load at the 6'3". He's a monster and has a nasty ferocity in his play (like he's been harassed) and I wanted him to be in the line-up when we drafted him. Sidbury at 266lbs and the same height is underrated in the run defense. Better than advertised. Guys like them carry a team for years (Freeney/Mathis). I believe, I hope, and I play that this is the direction that we are going in. For now I can deal with them being back-ups, but they are the two nastiest DE's I've seen on this team in a long time. Its like they take it out of the guy they tackle.