Do we really need another Safety?

hawkeye

According to this article we do. What do yall think?

9. Any Green Bay safety to the Falcons: The Packers have four safeties right now and will only keep three. Anthony Smith, who started last season for a period with the Steelers, has been pushing wild man Atari Bigby, who can't seem to avoid injuries. Atlanta needs secondary help badly and right now the Packers are loaded with defensive talent.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1000853...-before-kickoff

would only be worth it if that safety or one of our current ones could fill in at corner. That would allow us to do some things. I like Atari Bigby though so if we could get him for dirt cheap I would make that move. I think Coleman can fill in whever you put him.....he's a real deal football player. Also would allow you to use one as a LB. However I dont think any of these scenerios are the deal here.

\

According to this article we do. What do yall think?

9. Any Green Bay safety to the Falcons: The Packers have four safeties right now and will only keep three. Anthony Smith, who started last season for a period with the Steelers, has been pushing wild man Atari Bigby, who can't seem to avoid injuries. Atlanta needs secondary help badly and right now the Packers are loaded with defensive talent.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1000853...-before-kickoff

SURE. Jamaal for 4th safety...but we'd have to throw in a round 1 or 2.

We need to find someone to replace DeCoud. Eric Coleman is Good but DeCoud looks horrible. He's our starting safety but when you watch film he's harder to find than Bin Laden.

watch film? Just cause you dvr a game doesnt mean you are "watching film".

It's an expression. You can watch it on TV, HDTV, MINIDV, DVR, DVD, etc.. It doesn't matter he still can't be found in the secondary.

How do you know if thats good or bad though? If you had actual film you would be able to see the whole field. If his assignment is away from the play is that his fault? I'd say if you saw him but he wasnt making plays thats a problem. Not seeing him might not be that bad. I'm not saying he's a solid player, but I've not heard anything bad about his play at this point.

How do you know if thats good or bad though? If you had actual film you would be able to see the whole field. If his assignment is away from the play is that his fault? I'd say if you saw him but he wasnt making plays thats a problem. Not seeing him might not be that bad. I'm not saying he's a solid player, but I've not heard anything bad about his play at this point.

You Right. I don't know his responsibility and I do not have real game film to view every angle. I am assuming since he is playing FS that he would provide over the top help on pass plays, and play deep on one side in cover two. I really never see him back there. It never has been called out by the coaching staff so maybe it's not a problem.

We Coleman played FS last year and he was our leading tackler so it seems like he should be in on more plays.

You Right. I don't know his responsibility and I do not have real game film to view every angle. I am assuming since he is playing FS that he would provide over the top help on pass plays, and play deep on one side in cover two. I really never see him back there. It never has been called out by the coaching staff so maybe it's not a problem.

We Coleman played FS last year and he was our leading tackler so it seems like he should be in on more plays.

Last year more teams broke off runs on us.....the run defense has been pretty solid up front this pre season. The play where Bennet took that screen to the house is the only play I can say Decoud sucked on......i believe he's #28......he got smoked.....few of our guys got blocked by one charger.

Given that Hutchins was supposed to be in the mix as a CB/FS, I would think it's possible that we might consider any safety that gets cut at the end of camp. However, if we're rolling with 5, the Moore/Fudge/Coleman/DeCoud/Harris group isn't that bad, although I'd much prefer to see Coleman moved back to the FS starter spot and let Moore start at SS (which I think will happen before the season starts)

Last year more teams broke off runs on us.....the run defense has been pretty solid up front this pre season. The play where Bennet took that screen to the house is the only play I can say Decoud sucked on......i believe he's #28......he got smoked.....few of our guys got blocked by one charger.

Your S.S (L.Milloy Last Year) should be focused on stopping the run. We have improved against the run because Coleman is playing SS now and the LB's are getting more penetration.

What we are lacking is a F.S who is around the ball knocking out players going over the middle.

A Good FS is a Ball Hawk who is always around the play. Look at players Brian Dawkins, Eric Weddle, Ed Reed, Ryan Clark. They intimidate Receivers who go over the middle and contest the deep ball. DeCoud is almost invisible out there.

and they like DeCoud at FS more than SS because he has more range and coverage skills than Coleman. and I agree with dude it's STUPID for people to record games from tv then come on here talking about they're "watching film" lmao that's the funniest thing. DeCoud didn't play on defense at all last season now he's already getting bashed after 3 pre-season games? u guys are a trip, u are consistent with the stupidity though I give y'all that lol

and they like DeCoud at FS more than SS because he has more range and coverage skills than Coleman. and I agree with dude it's STUPID for people to record games from tv then come on here talking about they're "watching film" lmao that's the funniest thing. DeCoud didn't play on defense at all last season now he's already getting bashed after 3 pre-season games? u guys are a trip, u are consistent with the stupidity though I give y'all that lol

This is not ROCKET SCIENCE! Hello. You do not need a master’s degree to analysis what's happening on the football field. Why don't you watch the games and then come back and tell me he is flying around in the secondary. The fact is you can't blast Grimes and Houston and leave the F.S out of the secondary criitism. OH Wait, Do we need FILM to notice that our CB's are struggling in pass protection too?

Answer this question genius! Why did TD use a second round draft pick on William Moore? Where do you think Coleman would play if William Moore can get healthy and play?

We need to find someone to replace DeCoud. Eric Coleman is Good but DeCoud looks horrible. He's our starting safety but when you watch film he's harder to find than Bin Laden.

Yes, three preseason games let you know that our FS, who was likely playing centerfield most of the time, is non existent and a horrible football player. Congrats on being premature, hope the Mrs. isn't equally dissapointed in the bedroom.

DeCoud's not ready. In the San Diego game he was playing rediculously deep. I can appreciate a safety not wanting to get torched long, but when you are 30 - 35 yards from the line of scrimmage with no receivers anywhere near you, well, the defense might as well be playing with 10 guys.

This is not ROCKET SCIENCE! Hello. You do not need a master’s degree to analysis what's happening on the football field. Why don't you watch the games and then come back and tell me he is flying around in the secondary. The fact is you can't blast Grimes and Houston and leave the F.S out of the secondary criitism. OH Wait, Do we need FILM to notice that our CB's are struggling in pass protection too?

Answer this question genius! Why did TD use a second round draft pick on William Moore? Where do you think Coleman would play if William Moore can get healthy and play?

1. What happens on the football field is actually quite intricate, and not seeing players perform can often have far more to do with the scheme/playcalling/other players doing their job than it does with what we "see."

2. Cb's don't pass protect, they cover the pass. They are not olinemen. However, if you can recall Ed Zonatell, our corners often looked horrible because of the schemes we played in. Throw in the fact that we haven't been able to get after the qb that well, and it's VERY fuzzy as to just how bad they are. I know for a fact that Chris Houston played pretty good the 2nd half of the season last year. That counts more to me than what happened in 1 preseason game.

3. Because W. Moore represented HUGE value at the position he was picked in, and T. Decoud had yet to make the huge move during training camp that he did, AND because we were trying to get younger and improve speed on the defense. I think at the moment, that he regards Moore and Decoud as our future starters. Eric Coleman will be due up for a pretty big contract in another couple years. Perfect timing for Moore to step into the starting lineup. Or for Decoud if Moore beats him out before then.

William Moore was playing during Training camp and Decoud was STILL beating him out. The injury just put the nail in the coffin as far as him getting the starting job early in the season.

DeCoud's not ready. In the San Diego game he was playing rediculously deep. I can appreciate a safety not wanting to get torched long, but when you are 30 - 35 yards from the line of scrimmage with no receivers anywhere near you, well, the defense might as well be playing with 10 guys.

Honestly Peyton, tell it to the coaches. He wouldn't be playing that deep unless the coaches either wanted it or were okay with it. Again, I'm not saying the secondary doesn't have some issues, what I'm saying is that in the San Diego game, we did crazy stuff with our scheme. How about how he was playing in the first two preseason games, and in training camp where he was great?

Am i the only guy who knows the Decoud has never started a regular season game and is really raw. He's only in his second year and got limited playing time last year he's just raw.... How bout we give the guy some time to learn the position at an nfl level thats what the preseason is for and he hasn't been terrible he just hasn't made any impact plays but those will come in time. I went to the mini camps and a few training camp practices and the kid has all the talent need to be a really good safety.

If your safeties are leading your team in tackles it means one of two things. Your linebackers are failing miserably or you play an aggressive scheme with an All-Pro caliber safety given the oppertunity to roam ala Troy Polumalu.