Analyzing the Hill trade by the Falcons

atljbo

Analyzing the Hill trade by the Falcons

September 1, 2009 12:40 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Pat Yasinskas

Nice move by Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff on Tuesday morning as he traded for cornerback Tye Hill.

We don’t know exactly what kind of draft-pick compensation the Falcons had to give to the Rams yet, but credit Dimitroff with seeing a need for help in the secondary and addressing it. Also give him credit for not panicking and going after some aging player.

Hill is a guy who still has some upside. In fact, Hill is the kind of first-round talent the Falcons haven’t had on their roster since ... well, DeAngelo Hall, but that’s a bad example. Atlanta went through last season kind of patching things together at cornerback and they seemed destined to do the same thing this year.

They didn’t have any blue-chip corners and appeared ready to go into the season with Chris Houston and Brent Grimes as the starters and rookie Chris Owens and second-year pro Chevis Jackson as the backups. Houston’s been good at times, but not so good at other times. He came into the league as a second-round draft pick and Grimes came in as an undrafted free agent. Owens and Jackson were third-round choices.

There’s a belief in the NFL that top-flight cornerbacks come only in the first round. Hill was a first-round pick by the Rams in 2006. He had a very good rookie season, but has been limited the last two seasons by injuries.

Is he a true shutdown corner? You can’t call him that at the moment. But he was viewed as a first-round talent at one point and he has the potential to develop into a shutdown corner. Even if he’s just a decent corner, he’s probably an upgrade.

Although the Falcons love Grimes’ athletic ability, they’re concerned about other teams trying to exploit his size. Grimes is listed as 5-foot-9, which may be generous. Hill’s listed as 5-foot-10. He’s not known for being the most physical corner.

But Hill can cover receivers and that’s something the Falcons really needed.

houston is decent. grimes is not.

Grimes was decent against the lions........ and before you laugh it was against Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson, at the time one of the best wr combos in the nfl,. and Grimes went toe to toe with them.

He did struggle some but he played better then most gave him credit for.

Grimes was decent against the lions........ and before you laugh it was against Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson, at the time one of the best wr combos in the nfl,. and Grimes went toe to toe with them.

He did struggle some but he played better then most gave him credit for.

yeah and he gave up 100+ yds and a TD. just ignore my post. most on this board know how i feel about grimes. he has heart and he's come a long way, but i don't think he should be a starting corner in the NFL. -_-

Grimes is playing better than Houston right now.

After 1 game...lol.... Can you guys wait till the real live bullets start flying around (regular season) before you come to an conclusion.....

Brent Grimes was benched last year....... I'm not saying he is not improved..... I'm just saying tho

I forgot... you dont like Chris Houston...lol...

yeah and he gave up 100+ yds and a TD. just ignore my post. most on this board know how i feel about grimes. he has heart and he's come a long way, but i don't think he should be a starting corner in the NFL. -_-

I agree......... I feel like Grimes is a nickle or Dime back to be honest........ The guy has heart and balls skills but he is not s starter.......

After 1 game...lol.... Can you guys wait till the real live bullets start flying around (regular season) before you come to an conclusion.....

Brent Grimes was benched last year....... I'm not saying he is not improved..... I'm just saying tho

Yes througout the entire preseson, OTA, TC, grimes has played better and has shown more improvement from last year to this year, it is all about progression, getting better and everyone can see that Grimes has improved, yet I dont see that steady progression in Houston. I just think that Houston is not the best fit for our defense.

in favor of Dominique Foxworth, a decent corner who had a lot more experience than Grimes

I dont think Grimes is anything special, but I think he is better than Houston...Houston looks lost half the time out there, at least Grimes is around the ball a little

The fact of the matter is Houston has actually had success playing corner for us. You can't say that he did not play good for us last year. I know he wasn't a standout or great, but he was pretty solid. Grimes has not proven anything except that he is a practice champ. Everyone wants to take up for the little guy with heart, i understand that, but he more than likely won't be our starter.

I agree with you 100%.... and apparently so do the Falcons.

Although the Falcons love Grimes’ athletic ability, they’re concerned about other teams trying to exploit his size. Grimes is listed as 5-foot-9, which may be generous. Hill’s listed as 5-foot-10. He’s not known for being the most physical corner.

I am still trying to remember the plays Grimes has made that have made such a great impression on everyone else.

The things I remember aren't good.... like bigger physical WRs pushing him around.

I agree with you 100%.... and apparently so do the Falcons.

I am still trying to remember the plays Grimes has made that have made such a great impression on everyone else.

The things I remember aren't good.... like bigger physical WRs pushing him around.

we are on the same page. i remember grimes dropping a couple of INTs. getting turned around a few times and whiffing on a couple of tackles. i think a lot of people are still high on grimes because of his 07 game against arizona where he totaled 11 tackles after boldin caught passes all over him.

we are on the same page. i remember grimes dropping a couple of INTs. getting turned around a few times and whiffing on a couple of tackles. i think a lot of people are still high on grimes because of his 07 game against arizona where he totaled 11 tackles after boldin caught passes all over him.

Yeah... I still can't figure out that one.

He was making sooo many tackles because Warner was going after him.....and he was giving up first downs... but everyone else seems to think he was making plays.

Go figure.

:huh:

I think we are overlooking one of the biggest things that could possibly come out of this. I hope this will wake up the other CBs(namely Chris Houston). Signing Dominique Foxworth last offseason was not much of an eye opener, I dont think many expected him to be as good as he was. Hill, if healthy, has the talent to be a #1 corner. Hopefully this will push Houston to work harder, and get his head in the game and compete to stay #1.