Phillip Rivers would probably be very insulted

Tandy

You know, I've read all these gloom and doom naysayers giving up our season after we WON a preseason game, but gave up some touchdowns and screen passes to a guy who in 2008 was ranked

#1 in Quarterback Rating

#1 in Touchdowns

#1 in Average Yards

#1 in First Down Percentage

#5 in Completion Percentage

#5 in Total Yards

#14 in Interceptions (tied with Matt Cassel, Donovan McNabb and Matt Ryan)

Does the term - REALLY GOOD Quarterback mean anything to you guys?

How about - WE WON!!!!

I am just totally amazed at the total negativity and lack of understanding on this board.

Defenses are not built overnight. Teams are not built overnight.

Our defense has improved since last year - but it takes time and coaching to have it gel. There's no magic pill for rebuilding a team.

Come 'on people! These coaches performed miracles with the defense we had last year - and with the exception of one assistant coach - we are fortunate enough to have the exact same coaching staff from last year.

Give it a rest - it was a preseason game and our defense looked bad. That means absolutely Jack Squat in the scheme of things.

This coaching staff is excellent - if there are things they see they will take care of it. They may be looking as we speak for people to fit areas we are weak in. Remember Foxworth last year? That was a surprise, right?

Give them a chance and the benefit of the doubt until they prove to you that they don't know what they are doing. Thus far, I don't think that is the case.

Go Falcons!

^^^^^ A lot of people are over reacting. The Chargers have a very good offense and we have a very young defense. Take away the screen passes, which is EASILY corrected, and the passing yards we gave up looks much different. The defense is going to look a little rough the first few games but the more playing time these young guys get together the better we are going to be. Not to mention I think we will sign a veteran CB in the coming weeks.

Rivers is obviously a very good QB but I've always felt that he needed to grow up a little, much like Cutler. When it comes to being a leader of men, I'd take Ryan over either of those guys. I've heard from some friends that live out in SD that say he's really starting to "see the light." It definitely showed the other night.

Yeah you are right, He is a good QB but why was chris houston playing 5 and 6 yards off of the receivers and he is suppose to be our top cb. we play some teams that are going to kill us with him playing that far off

They were playing off of the receivers because of the schme. Why would you play press coverage with 3rd and long? Then you may get burnt deep. They could afford to give some cushion because they had 3rd and long.

excellent QB in river above average WR in chamber and Co.

our defebnse is going to struggle how about saying. we did great on first and second down now all we have to do is work on third down stops and we will be fine which is what mike smith and BVG are doing.

its a pattern game one no pass rush LB's look slow and couldnt stop the run we went o practice and fixed it you may ask how do i know well ill tell ya

game two: we stuffed steven jackson and our linebackers looked a whole lot faster and got 2 sacks from a rook

game three: we push the offense against the wall and have them going 3rd long with phillp rivers they convert now we have to work on that.

ladies and gents we are getting better and better each game if we have a problem doing something then we have seemed to be able to fix it so far.

get out of the man to man 3rd and longs and we will be fine yall are so wishy washy

Although i dont agreewith the doom and gloom I do believe that our cornerback play gives us reasons to be concerned. Rivers may be a good QB, but we should be able to get him off the field on 3rd and long at least half the time. He was 7 for 8 on 3rd and long.

No, not a good QB - an exceptional QB.

Did you know that on 3rd downs last year - he threw 15 TD passes, had a QB rating of 110.7, and a 61.1% completion rating?

Comparing that to the ELITE QB's last year:

Peyton Manning on 3rd downs = QB rating of 98.3, threw 9 TD passes and had a 66% completion rating

Drew Brees on 3rd downs = QB rating of 117, threw 11 TD passes and had a 66% completion rating

Kurt Warner on 3rd downs = QB rating of 97, threw 9 TD passes and had a 67% completion rating

and compared to our QB:

Matt Ryan on 3rd downs = QB rating of 76.4, threw 5 TD passes and had a 59.4% completion rating

Yes, Rivers is an excellent QB. However, he still should not have picked our defense apart like he did. I tell you what, if we allow all the good QB that we play this year to do to us what Rivers did, it will be a long season. Ever see a game where a Good or Great QB is made to look average?

Not often in preseason - seriously.

Did you know that on 3rd downs last year - he threw 15 TD passes, had a QB rating of 110.7, and a 61.1% completion rating?

Peyton Manning on 3rd downs = QB rating of 98.3, threw 9 TD passes and had a 66% completion rating

Drew Brees on 3rd downs = QB rating of 117, threw 11 TD passes and had a 66% completion rating

Kurt Warner on 3rd downs = QB rating of 97, threw 9 TD passes and had a 67% completion rating

and compared to our QB:

Matt Ryan on 3rd downs = QB rating of 76.4, threw 5 TD passes and had a 59.4% completion rating

I agree completely. He threw for 34 touchdowns last season tying Drew Brees.

But he had a 100 less passing attempts ! :o

and compared to our QB:

Thats the stat line right there