Is it our D or our DC?

I am cool with the fact that we lack experience on defense. Mainly in the secondary. I can live with not having a shutdown corner. There are not too many, and has not been many in NFL history. I look at the way Tampa has played over the years. How many shutdown corners have they had? They have had short corners, but they do not play in man coverage. I think that our DC should make some considerations in zone coverage, rather than mismatches in man coverage.

What do you think?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very surprised and a little disappointed when the Falcons kept him after Petrino quit. The D did okay all things considering last year though, and this season hasn't even started yet, so I'll give him time before I make my judgement.

All you guys are CRAZY if you think Mike Smith doesn't put his thumbprint on this defense. Also...we went zone on the first third and long and as a result, Rivers had all day to find a receiver. Its pick your poison. We forced 2 screen passes on third and long and didn't tackle. It was more proor technique on our guys than poor scheme.

I think Vangorder was a problem last year and that he will be a problem this year. We blitzed on 3rd and 17???

You realize A LOT of teams, and many successful defense blitz on 3rd and long situations... right?

Deep plays need time to devolop, and blitzes force the QB to hurry the throw. Successful blitzes can prevent the QB from getting the chance of hitting someone deep down the field for the gain needed to convert.

Knocking BVG, and calling him a bad DC, because he blitzes on 3rd and long is absolutely moronic. Fact is, if we played a soft defense and simply played off people would still be complaining. What if we played off, Rivers gets 5+ seconds to find a target, and eventually find a hole in the zone?

Clueless. The fact that he made us the 11th best scoring defense with largely the same players should warrent a gold medal for the guy, but we're going to call him out for having a very aged and underperforming defense one year and a very young defense the next. :rolleyes:

You realize A LOT of teams, and many successful defense blitz on 3rd and long situations... right?

Deep plays need time to devolop, and blitzes force the QB to hurry the throw. Successful blitzes can prevent the QB from getting the chance of hitting someone deep down the field for the gain needed to convert.

Knocking BVG, and calling him a bad DC, because he blitzes on 3rd and long is absolutely moronic. Fact is, if we played a soft defense and simply played off people would still be complaining. What if we played off, Rivers gets 5+ seconds to find a target, and eventually find a hole in the zone?

Clueless. The fact that he made us the 11th best scoring defense with largely the same players should warrent a gold medal for the guy, but we're going to call him out for having a very aged and underperforming defense one year and a very young defense the next. :rolleyes:

What is your excuse for him last season? We were the 24th ranked defense.

Got to agree here. Why are all the top teams every year teams that blitz? Giants, Steelers, Eagles, Pats. Blitzing more is something we need to do.

I'm with you. I think VanGorder has done a fantastic job as D coordinator. There were games where we had good opponents completely perplexed for large parts of the game last year. Like New Orleans in the first game, or the first half of the Eagles game, and the Oakland game.

OK, Oakland obviously was not good, but our defense did set a bunch of records in that game, so it was worth mentioning.

What is your excuse for him last season? We were the 24th ranked defense.

Did you miss the part where we were 11th in scoring defense, the most important stat? With a rookie at MLB, an aged Keith Brooking and Lawyer Milloy, a new player at FS, two hand me down/inexperienced CBs, and a thrown together defensive line?

We didn't blitz much either, we played back and tightened up in the red zone. We played mostly zone. Again, first year and he puts us at 11th in scoring defense and people want to complain. How about this, look at the numbers for our 07 defense and see how big of an improvement it was.

What you mean? When did he not do it when he should have or vice versa?

just everytime he does it, it seems like it never works. Last year it seemed like we almost never blitzed and QB's did have all day to throw.

An example of a player to that he never blitzes that I think plays to his strengths: Chris Houston. Our fastest player and one that is hella strong.

Instead we are rushing the Keith Brookings of the defense.

what most DC's do when they dont have a power D , especially on 3rd and long, is rush the 4 DL, maybe blitz one LB, drop the other 2 in a middle zone, and have the CB play cover 2, with Safeties over top,

i gotta agree, blitzing 7 to 8 on 3rd and long is not smart, and rushing only 3 is not smart either, sometimes the RB stays in to chip, so baiscally its 6 against 3,

if those 3 were Reggie White, LT and Derrick Thomas, maybe

Did you miss the part where we were 11th in scoring defense, the most important stat? With a rookie at MLB, an aged Keith Brooking and Lawyer Milloy, a new player at FS, two hand me down/inexperienced CBs, and a thrown together defensive line?

We didn't blitz much either, we played back and tightened up in the red zone. We played mostly zone. Again, first year and he puts us at 11th in scoring defense and people want to complain. How about this, look at the numbers for our 07 defense and see how big of an improvement it was.

That 11th ranked scoring defense could easily have gone the other way with a little luck. BVG has no idea how to stop anyone between the 20's.

I'm not knocking him for blitzing, but he doesn't even know when to do it, or what players to use and how to be effective with it.

Again, the fact that you get upset for blitzing on 3rd and long, when you don't even understand the philosophy behind it all shows me you don't really know what you're talking about. Then you want to get upset over letting our 2008 defense playing a lot of yards(but 11th in the NFL in scoring defense) by playing soft.

just everytime he does it, it seems like it never works. Last year it seemed like we almost never blitzed and QB's did have all day to throw.

An example of a player to that he never blitzes that I think plays to his strengths: Chris Houston. Our fastest player and one that is hella strong.

I don't think blitzing corners is a very commonly used strategy. I was suprised we did it twice.

Again, the fact that you get upset for blitzing on 3rd and long, when you don't even understand the philosophy behind it all shows me you don't really know what you're talking about. Then you want to get upset over letting our 2008 defense playing a lot of yards(but 11th in the NFL in scoring defense) by playing soft.

I understand the philosophy, and it didn't work. He doesn't know who to send or how to use our players.

agreed, Coy Wire or Grimes should rush, not Stephen or Lofton, especially on 3rd and long, when a run play is out, but a deep middle or screen is