granted, i didn't watch the whole game, and wasn't

poetx

even paying particularly close attention -- but that never seems to stop anyone else around here, so i'll share my .02, anyway.

so, all the above notwithstanding, has it occurred to you that the coaches were putting our D into tough positions on purpose? sort of a stress test, to see what we really have (and, whether or not we really need to be scouring waiver wires and/or coming up w/ trade scenarios)?

to me that looks like what we were doing.

we've blitzed a LOT in the preseason. versus the chargers, we were borderline looking like the eagles, going w/ big blitzes on 3rd downs, including CB pressure, and forcing our DBs into man coverage.

and we got eaten alive (like the eagles, i must add) on screens. and we also found out that we reeeaally don't want houston out on an island by himself.

like a stress test in medicine, or in IT, where you put someone/something under very trying conditions to see what breaks, i think that we definitely learned a lot about our capabilities. some things looked like they could be corrected (lofton took a bad angle on the little dumpoff to bennett which was the difference between stopping him for no gain or giving up a huge play). and some of the stuff might require some personnel changes/upgrades. (houston getting eaten alive out there).

i fully believe that our defense, in terms of personnel and scheme is intended to be aggressive, but not THAT damned aggressive, as far as how many big blitzes we ran. ideally we'll get much more pressure with our front 4 and sending only one LB. that said, it was kind of disappointing that with all that pressure we still weren't getting to the QB, but i don't know if the personnel on the front four that was in during some of those blitzes were truly who we would send if we wanted to maximize pressure.

for what its worth, we at least know that we CAN'T run this aggressive of a look w/o some upgrades. i don't know if there's a foxworth level steal out there to be had. but from putting guys in some tough spots, we at least know how badly we need a startable corner. it may take a 3rd rounder this year to get a quality guy loose from a team w/ two solid starters, assuming there's not a serviceable end-of-career veteran out there who we can pick up as a one-year rental.

all told, better to know this NOW, than to go into the season thinking we're better than we really are on defense. i'm sure that from a gameplanning and playcalling perspective, we could have done a lot to limit SD's scores on us, but it was more important to risk giving up the points so that we could see where the holes are.

so don't freak out too much, ok?

I'm not freaking out, but the Falcons only resorted to the blitzing when not blitzing didn't work. On the first two third and longs, Rivers had all day and made long completions. So on the 3rd one, the Falcons went from blitzing nobody to bringing 8, and the Chargers got the same result because the blitz was slow as molasses.

Whats up poetx

I dont mind the blitz scheme packages but if we do that we should do it out of the 3-4 base which would allow a extra LB on the field to help out if they counter with a screen , With that being said if we dont get a consistent pass rush with our front 4 were going to be in a heap of trouble this year. I need to see Babs and Jerry apply pressure up the middle..We could benefit our corners with a great pass rush .

Something has to be done for the other DE spot we cant be non productive as we have the past couple of years. What also needs to be done is move Coleman to FS and play Moore at SS if not ready put Fudge there ..I can already see Coleman not having as much impact at SS cause of him looking out and not being able to freelance as much

for what its worth, we at least know that we CAN'T run this aggressive of a look w/o some upgrades. i don't know if there's a foxworth level steal out there to be had. but from putting guys in some tough spots, we at least know how badly we need a startable corner. it may take a 3rd rounder this year to get a quality guy loose from a team w/ two solid starters, assuming there's not a serviceable end-of-career veteran out there who we can pick up as a one-year rental.

lmao. TD is a very entertaining front office guy.

i don't know much about Tye Hill other than that he's had a knee injury, and that a bunch of folks were talking about him a couple of drafts ago. but i think that the former 15th pick certainly qualifies as 'startable quality' (assuming the physical is ok), and it will remain to be seen how much we gave up for him.

now it will be interesting to see if we make him (eventually, like w/ foxworth, it will take a couple of weeks for him to get acclimated) our #1 corner and put houston back at #2, where he's a known quantity, leaving grimes as a nickel option.

dude didn't take long to pull the trigger, though.

and now owens and middleton can get healed up and contribute on special teams without having pressure of having to leapfrog anybody and start any time soon.

I'm not freaking out, but the Falcons only resorted to the blitzing when not blitzing didn't work. On the first two third and longs, Rivers had all day and made long completions. So on the 3rd one, the Falcons went from blitzing nobody to bringing 8, and the Chargers got the same result because the blitz was slow as molasses.

yeah. like i said, i hadn't watched closely, so i didn't notice that the push from the d line was totally lacking, but that's since been echoed in the news. but from the personnel sets i saw out there, it didn't look like we were really going all out. (a lot of ja98 and biermann). but hey, we were good against the run. hopefully that's not a fluke and we can build on that. i think the passing defense is easier to fix than run D. we shall see.

Whats up poetx

I dont mind the blitz scheme packages but if we do that we should do it out of the 3-4 base which would allow a extra LB on the field to help out if they counter with a screen , With that being said if we dont get a consistent pass rush with our front 4 were going to be in a heap of trouble this year. I need to see Babs and Jerry apply pressure up the middle..We could benefit our corners with a great pass rush .

Something has to be done for the other DE spot we cant be non productive as we have the past couple of years. What also needs to be done is move Coleman to FS and play Moore at SS if not ready put Fudge there ..I can already see Coleman not having as much impact at SS cause of him looking out and not being able to freelance as much

sup, swift?

completely agree on the statement on the need for pressure w/ just the front four. i thought that was what the draft was all about (w/ jerry and sidbury, both of whom i hope will contribute, at least situationally, to a ferocious pass rush). i really think that sid, on third downs, opposite abe, would be nasty, and something that opposing OLs won't want to see, especially w/ babs, who's already a VERY active and disruptive DT in the passing game and whomever is playing opposite him (jerry? anderson, moved in?)

as for safety, i'll defer to you on that as i haven't watched the safeties very closely this preseason. i'm generally hopeful, though, that the guys we have back there are solid and serviceable if we get our front 4 and our CBs right.

and yes, a 3-4 on passing downs would give us a great deal of flexibility between blitzing and coverage. on the play where grimes got his sack, they slanted the DL to the right, dropped abe into coverage (i think). shot an LB into the backside gap AND sent grimes from off the edge. that was a pretty nice blitz, b/c any offense already has JA counted twice (with an OT and TE/RB assigned to him), so we stunted to that side and shot two more folks from the backside and still had 7 in coverage. granted, i'm not too much of a fan on dropping abe in coverage, but if he jabs toward the line and influences the first step of two blockers, and then allows us to help houston or whomever by taking flat coverage responsibility (meaning: chris.. just don't get beat deep), then that's a good thing.

even paying particularly close attention -- but that never seems to stop anyone else around here, so i'll share my .02, anyway.

so, all the above notwithstanding, has it occurred to you that the coaches were putting our D into tough positions on purpose? sort of a stress test, to see what we really have (and, whether or not we really need to be scouring waiver wires and/or coming up w/ trade scenarios)?

to me that looks like what we were doing.

we've blitzed a LOT in the preseason. versus the chargers, we were borderline looking like the eagles, going w/ big blitzes on 3rd downs, including CB pressure, and forcing our DBs into man coverage.

and we got eaten alive (like the eagles, i must add) on screens. and we also found out that we reeeaally don't want houston out on an island by himself.

like a stress test in medicine, or in IT, where you put someone/something under very trying conditions to see what breaks, i think that we definitely learned a lot about our capabilities. some things looked like they could be corrected (lofton took a bad angle on the little dumpoff to bennett which was the difference between stopping him for no gain or giving up a huge play). and some of the stuff might require some personnel changes/upgrades. (houston getting eaten alive out there).

i fully believe that our defense, in terms of personnel and scheme is intended to be aggressive, but not THAT damned aggressive, as far as how many big blitzes we ran. ideally we'll get much more pressure with our front 4 and sending only one LB. that said, it was kind of disappointing that with all that pressure we still weren't getting to the QB, but i don't know if the personnel on the front four that was in during some of those blitzes were truly who we would send if we wanted to maximize pressure.

all told, better to know this NOW, than to go into the season thinking we're better than we really are on defense. i'm sure that from a gameplanning and playcalling perspective, we could have done a lot to limit SD's scores on us, but it was more important to risk giving up the points so that we could see where the holes are.

so don't freak out too much, ok?

My favorite poster!

Agreed. It does seem that these coaches use the preseason to test things and make adjustments.

I tihnk they were looking to see if they have a blitzer in the midst. Not sure if anyone fit the bill, but I suspect (as you pointed out) they did find a few things (players) that did not fit the sceme.

Have a great day friend!