Has Matt Ryan changed his reads?

Dr. Zanzibar

Last season, Matt Ryan, being without a legit weapon at TE, worked through his progressions and then passed, often for a first down.

Last two preseason games it seems like he is making shorter reads, and has been staring down Gonzo.

Is this a new strategy? Stare down the TE at the middle of the field so the safeties are frozen there, then throw elsewhere if he isn't open?

I noticed that with Gonzo was on the sideline, Redman seemed to be going through his progressions for a longer amount of time.

If you noticed this too, do you like this strategy with Gonzo on the field?

Last season, Matt Ryan, being without a legit weapon at TE, worked through his progressions and then passed, often for a first down.

Last two preseason games it seems like he is making shorter reads, and has been staring down Gonzo.

Is this a new strategy? Stare down the TE at the middle of the field so the safeties are frozen there, then throw elsewhere if he isn't open?

I noticed that with Gonzo was on the sideline, Redman seemed to be going through his progressions for a longer amount of time.

I would like to thank you for posting something other than the current trend of "Our Corners Suck" "We're DOOOOOOOMED" and "Trade Redman for a Cornerback" Threads.

I also have noticed he's gone shorter more, but that's by design, that's why Gonzo is here, we didn't have that option last year, they need to build chemistry in the pre season, he's already got a rapport with White, Jenkins and Finn, so it's good that he's going to Gonzo early and often, even if it's just for 8 yard gains. They extend those routes more often in the regular season. I'm sure Gonzo as a 13 year vet, doesn't want to go across the middle in preseason games that don't matter.

I noticed that too...He really made some dumb throws last game...He should of thrown 3 INTs...Maybe it's because of him changing his reads?

I didn't think his throws were dumb at all. Ryan throws ahead of the receiver - expecting them to be at a spot when the ball gets there. I am pretty sure at least two of those were missed route assignments - and shoulda, woulda coulda - didn't.

He threw zero interceptions.

As for his reads, I'm sure it depends on the call - but when you've got Shawne Merriman licking his chops on the other side of the line - you **** well want that ball out fast - ESPECIALLY in a meaningless game like a preseason game. It would be pretty stupid and really irresponsible to be heroic and get yourself knocked out for the year.

I didn't think his throws were dumb at all. Ryan throws ahead of the receiver - expecting them to be at a spot when the ball gets there. I am pretty sure at least two of those were missed route assignments - and shoulda, woulda coulda - didn't.

He threw zero interceptions.

As for his reads, I'm sure it depends on the call - but when you've got Shawne Merriman licking his chops on the other side of the line - you **** well want that ball out fast - ESPECIALLY in a meaningless game like a preseason game. It would be pretty stupid to be heroic and get yourself knocked out for the year.

Yeah, I know for a fact at least one of those throws was a communication error. The one were there was NO Falcon receiver even close to the ball lol.

Like Duff Man said, now is the time to be trying new things. I think that by week one, all the bugs will be worked out. (As I have said for the past 3 weeks now)

Ryan is going to have an impressive season this year, and all you guys are seeing so far is him trying some new things with some new weapons. Pre-season is sort of like play time for an NFL quarterback with his new toys. And the regular season is like the quarterback growing up and making them into collectibles. Knowing what they can do and how to use them just right.

didnt like the throw to Tony G before the end of the half..He should have place that ball better cause Tony was inside and even with the safety closing in he could have gave Tony a better chance to get that ball.

Some of his throws sailed. He is still getting everyone involved in the offense gave Jenkins, Booker and White all had grabs.

I think we are over analyzing his play..We also will be a run team first .

didnt like the throw to Tony G before the end of the half..He should have place that ball better cause Tony was inside and even with the safety closing in he could have gave Tony a better chance to get that ball.

Some of his throws sailed. He is still getting everyone involved in the offense gave Jenkins, Booker and White all had grabs.

Yeah, we really haven't seen the run game fully unleashed yet, we've had glimpses, but until you play Turner into the fourth, you haven't seen it because after he wears down a defense, that's when it's a thing of beauty.

Like Mularkey said on Face to Face this week, seeing a guy take himself out of the game because he's had enough is really satisfying.

I am going to watch the game this evening - see what I've missed. I'll look for that throw.

Yeah, funny thing - I didn't even realize it was Finn at first that made the TD - they were on the other side of the field. I had a little side bet with my hubby - He had TG for the first TD - and I had Turner. I thought he won for a second, then I realized it was Finn - HA!

He turns to me after all the commotion settled down and said - well, how do we handle that - if we were both wrong - I just smiled and said - Well, of course, I win by default!

Matt forced the ball 3 times by my account. Two times to Roddy when he was doubled, and one time to Gonzo. I'm sure he won't make those same mistakes in the regular season.

Surely.

Funny thing is, with so many weapons, it probably puts more pressure on Ryan to score points so he feels like he has to do that type of stuff. It's like me when I play Madden with the Falcons lol. I try to force stuff because the players around me are so good that it should be easy, and I end up playing poorly because of it. When I play smart and just take what the defense gives me, I move the ball with ease.

you got mad delusion yo

two of duh ints that werent coold hav and shoold hav gone for tds

i luv ryan but he gonna drop off dis year

no good qb be throwin 20 ints in college

What team are you really a fan of? Just so I can look forward to the day we beat them and you leave like every other troll.

We havve to do better at chipping away at a defense that is good at stopping the run and to have a safe but conservative pass attack so we don't abuse Turner so much when we need to chew up the clock.

I don't think its gonna be an issue once the season starts. Preseason is the time to show teams snippets of your offense so they will have to game plan for them. If teams focus on Matt throwing quick passes to Gonzo that frees up more running lanes for Turner. Thats the best part of this offense. If the defense focuses on the pass we beat them with the run if they focus on the run we can beat them with the pass.

Matt forced the ball 3 times by my account. Two times to Roddy when he was doubled, and one time to Gonzo. I'm sure he won't make those same mistakes in the regular season.

No such thing as a perfect QB - even the great ones make mistakes. What Matt Ryan accomplished during this game, completing 70% of his passes with no interceptions, a touchdown and a QB rating of 106.2 is fine with me. I'll take that every game of the year - and we'll go all the way if we get it.

Surely.

Funny thing is, with so many weapons, it probably puts more pressure on Ryan to score points so he feels like he has to do that type of stuff. It's like me when I play Madden with the Falcons lol. I try to force stuff because the players around me are so good that it should be easy, and I end up playing poorly because of it. When I play smart and just take what the defense gives me, I move the ball with ease.

It's tough to gauge anything from preseason. Every year we (and all the talking heads) try, and every year we fail. Nobody wants to give anything away, so like the draft, you never know what is a real flaw and what is the result of an attempt not to give Miami any film that's worth a ****.

I really wouldn't read too much into anything the offense is doing in the preseason. Last year I went to the preseason game against the Titans, and I swear Matt didn't throw the ball more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage for the entire game. He completed 15-21 for only 102 yards. Two weeks later he's slinging it down there to Jenks on the skinny post for a TD on his first regular season game.

I think there are just some very specific things Mularkey wants to work on, and on opening day against Miami you'll see something a lot more dynamic.

I really wouldn't read too much into anything the offense is doing in the preseason. Last year I went to the preseason game against the Titans, and I swear Matt didn't throw the ball more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage for the entire game. He completed 15-21 for only 102 yards. Two weeks later he's slinging it down there to Jenks on the skinny post for a TD on his first regular season game.

I think there are just some very specific things Mularkey wants to work on, and on opening day against Miami you'll see something a lot more dynamic.

you be crazie yo

he gonna b differant dis year, hate to be sayin it but it duh troof