WE forced one of the Better Offenses into alot of 3rd and Long

Jaymadd

I dont know why, but it seems like in our complaints about our Defense we seemed to miss this important piece of information. Last year teams were moving the ball on us pretty easily, especially running the and we had alot of 3rd and short. We are doing something right if we are forcing a top rated offense into these 3rd and Long situation. Our defense was pretty stout against that run( Sproles is a pretty good back, so dont use the excuse that LT was out), and was able to get pressure on the QB with some good blitzes on 2nd down and even with the front 4 sometimes. I was just as disappointed as everyone else that we couldnt stop that 3rd and Longs, but you do have to admit that it is good to see improvement in our run defense and the fact that we are being more aggressive in our blitz packages.

Just a Day in the mind of Jaymadd :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know why, but it seems like in our complaints about our Defense we seemed to miss this important piece of information. Last year teams were moving the ball on us pretty easily, especially running the and we had alot of 3rd and short. We are doing something right if we are forcing a top rated offense into these 3rd and Long situation. Our defense was pretty stout against that run( Sproles is a pretty good back, so dont use the excuse that LT was out), and was able to get pressure on the QB with some good blitzes on 2nd down and even with the front 4 sometimes. I was just as disappointed as everyone else that we couldnt stop that 3rd and Longs, but you do have to admit that it is good to see improvement in our run defense and the fact that we are being more aggressive in our blitz packages.

We also allowed said offense to convert... rather easily.

I was not impressed at all with the defense. Although, Vincent Jackson definitely pushed off on Grimes on one of them.

our run D looked good against their 3rd and 4th string runners, but Sproles ran an easy TD on us and LT wasnt playing.

Im not saying the sky is falling and we're all doomed, but im not hyped up on our run defense like everyone else. I think we have a lot of work to do before the season.

We also allowed said offense to convert... rather easily.

I was not impressed at all with the defense. Although, Vincent Jackson definitely pushed off on Grimes on one of them.

Screens killed us all game, I just think that some of the problems can be fixed with Coaching, but a few need to be Personnel changes.

It makes no difference whether it takes 2 or 3 plays to get a 1st down. It's that they are getting the 1st downs and moving the chains with ease. I'm no Negative Nancy, as fans go, but if the Falcons don't correct the defensive woes and NOW, there is a real possibility that they won't get the back-to-back winning seasons monkey off their backs. I was absolutely mortified by what I saw on that side of the ball Sat night.

Screens killed us all game, I just think that some of the problems can be fixed with Coaching, but a few need to be Personnel changes.

One has to ask why those screens killed us. Was it because the secondary was playing back too far? Or bad angles taken by the LBs? Or late recognition by both the secondary and the LBs?

Coaching can fix it, but because our guys are so young (with the exception of Peterson) let's hope they can fix their screwups quickly.

One has to ask why those screens killed us. Was it because the secondary was playing back too far? Or bad angles taken by the LBs? Or late recognition by both the secondary and the LBs?

Coaching can fix it, but because our guys are so young (with the exception of Peterson) let's hope they can fix their screwups quickly.

I saw that the DL went full steam ahead on most of screen plays, and never recognized the screen. We have a great coaching staff and as it has already been pointed out our defense will get better over time. I think that TD drafts pretty smart players who take well to coaching.

It makes no difference whether it takes 2 or 3 plays to get a 1st down. It's that they are getting the 1st downs and moving the chains with ease. I'm no Negative Nancy, as fans go, but if the Falcons don't correct the defensive woes and NOW, there is a real possibility that they won't get the back-to-back winning seasons monkey off their backs. I was absolutely mortified by what I saw on that side of the ball Sat night.

I trust our coaches with over 150 years (or however long) will be able to make the adjustments. WE have some great minds on our coaching staff, starting with our Head Coach, who played a part in some great defenses over the years.

actually it does make a difference.

If you can force a team into a lot of 3rd downs statistically speaking, you are going to win more of those then you lose.

last year the saints were the best at converting 3rd down for offenses.............. they converted 48%

if the Falcons can continue to play well on first and 2nd down over the course ofa 16 game season they are going to win more of the 3rd downs then they will lose.

I saw that the DL went full steam ahead on most of screen plays, and never recognized the screen. We have a great coaching staff and as it has already been pointed out our defense will get better over time. I think that TD drafts pretty smart players who take well to coaching.

I'm not worried about the coaching, I'm worried about the defensive playcalling of VanGorder. It seemed like our CB and safeties took themselves out of the play before the ball was snapped due to how deep they were playing.

exactly, Its funny people keep talking about players needing to be cut and we need to sign so and so.

Most of the errors I saw from the film I saw were very correctable by simple film study and practice time.

actually it does make a difference.

If you can force a team into a lot of 3rd downs statistically speaking, you are going to win more of those then you lose.

last year the saints were the best at converting 3rd down for offenses.............. they converted 48%

if the Falcons can continue to play well on first and 2nd down over the course ofa 16 game season they are going to win more of the 3rd downs then they will lose.

X2, C/S, QFT :D

That's kinda like getting an 0-2 count against Pujols before he jacks one out of the stadium.

I disagree, a little. They converted what 7 of 8 third downs. One was BS. Grimes was in perfect position and he was interfered with that 3rd down play should have never happened. Now 6 of 8. Jackson had a once in a season one handed 25 yard grab. He misses that grab 99 out of 100. Now 5 of 8. No DB can stop a perfect pass. The one over the middle with Houston covering. Now 4 of 8. Just three plays different and all of a sudden it is 14 less points and does not look near as bad. BUT the D did play bad. No excuse for that screen on 3rd and 24 that went for 6 points. We had like 3 guys in the secondary just fall down. Just horrible. But not near as bad as all these people are making it out to be!

Very solid points Jaymadd! When I reviewed the game again, I felt a bit more encouraged but still concerned. 1st Qtr we were tied up 7 to 7 but the coaches definitely poured on the blitz experiments to see what we could do and I think we might play this a bit more conservatively in regular season. Guys were still caught out of position on screens and man coverage was not pretty but we will play better during the season no doubt. You can tell Abe is not bringing the full meal deal right now as well. So he will create oppty for the DB's and other DLine when the whistle blows in game 1. Definitely some concerns but it was good to push this fart out in the preseason. lets hope there is no turd behind this when we see the fins...

I'm not worried about the coaching, I'm worried about the defensive playcalling of VanGorder. It seemed like our CB and safeties took themselves out of the play before the ball was snapped due to how deep they were playing.

I dont know if that was the call or secondary made some pre-snap adjustments. I think that we are doing alot of experimenting with playcalling, lineups, rotations because we have soo many new pieces on defense. It seems like we have 1st and 2nd downs squared away we just need to work on the 3rd down so we are 2/3 of the way there. :D:lol:

On one of them, I saw Anderson try to go inside the Tackle and get pancaked, instead of trying to go outside, and force the play out father, or force Rivers to throw a higher, riskier pass.

I don't know... I'm not all that worried. 1) It was Rivers, and he'll do that to you sometimes. 2) It's preseason, and there are corrections that can be made. 3) It was a lot of those guys first experience against an NFL caliber offense (offense should be taken by Detroit and St. Louis fans), and they WILL get better. ...and as jaymadd suggests, we're doing something right to get them into 3rd and long. Football doesn't all of the sudden become some entirely different animal on 3rd down. We can fix whatever was going wrong.